Cascadia Vehicle Tent Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this a camping or an expedition post? Gonna say the EV forum as no matter how much is written about trucks we all have to sleep somewhere.

Before a two week trip through Baja California and Baja Sur we purchased a Mt. Baker tent from Bobby Culpepper at CVT. First it should be known that Bobby is incredibly nice, fun to talk with and, for us, was incredibly accommodating when our arrival in Bend was delayed due to bad weather around Shasta. And it also should be said that if you are traveling to his shop to pick up a tent from a big urban area don't ask him what he pays for his commodious space. It will bum you out. (But couldn't be benefiting a nicer person.)

On our trip, which saw below freezing night time temperatures, heavy wind, rain and a fair amount of rotten road but no hard 4wd work (mud and beach driving only) the tent was great. It stayed on the roof, didn't stress the generally poor gutter racks (making a new rack is on the list), didn't make noise while driving with the exception listed below and was a super solid sleeping platform.

And convenient, so convenient. No more sleeping in the truck or setting up a tent every night. I don't think the convenience and comfort of a pop-up tent can be overstated. Even on a short trip like this it was awesome. The mattress isn't super thick or memory foam but it is perfectly comfortable, the length of the tent is adequate for a tall person (longer would be great but I am accustomed to a life of things being too short and feel for those taller than I am). The tent's roof is tall enough that one can sit up comfortably, a Thermarest chair sleeve would make a good addition to the set up for sitting in the tent and editing photos on the computer/ reviewing maps for the next day's trip.

The tent is well made, the fiberglass work is good, fabric is wind blocking in 30- 40mph gusts, windows & doors are nice sizes and vent the tent well. The interior insulation is welcome in cold weather and I imagine also in hot weather. It opens and closes easily and without headache (tucking in the sides is a necessity but not likely unique to this tent). The ladder is telescoping, comes with a bag and is great if not a little heavier duty than in might need to be.

The only issues I saw were:

• Hydraulic struts stopped their auto opening and closing action quite quickly, I will probably replace them with something heavier from McMaster-Carr. They held the tent open fine without the post, even in heavy wind and we never raised the tent with a load on the rack. (I have a surf board problem and while the tent might support a board or two my coffin bag stuffed with four surfboards and a couple wetsuits was a ***** even to get on and off the tent every day. I am rethinking board storage beneath the tent with the rack for a board or two. I told you, it's a problem....)

• The rear wall needs to be guyed or it sags a little into a tall person's face while laying down. Either the roof doesn't raise high enough or the tent wall is too long or the weight of the spring steel for the awning is too much but the back wall needs some help. This only for a tall person (I am 6'-2"), a person of ordinary height would have no problem.

• We are among CVT owners who would prefer a door rather than a window in the back- a door would make our set up with the platform better and ease the removal of the mattress for cleaning post camping. New models will have three doors.

• Some of the rivet work wasn't well executed where the insulated lining meets the edge of the fiberglass shell- no big deal to me but something that could be addressed in quality control. Certainly only an aesthetic issue with no impact on function/ fastening of parts and only affected a few rivets.

• The zipper at the driver's side came out of alignment occasionally while on the trip. The zipper was easy to realign and looks like will be serviceable for a long while. It was just a small hassle to fix it in the dark and cold when I would have rather been in my sleeping bag.

• The tent (at least in the orientation that we had it in) created enough vacuum beneath it that the sun roof, on our truck merely a glass pop-up, made noise. For us it wasn't a problem as we were able to open the clamp a little to tighten the fit but others may have more trouble. A dam at the bottom front of the tent may be a useful accessory. Once I blast through the tent into the cab it'll be a non-issue! I never liked the sun roof anyway....

I have not owned any other roof top tents and there may well be some Ferrari of a tent out there that is better than all others but for my money this one is great. It is cost effective, comfortable, convenient and appears so far to be durable. Honestly I think that were there ever a durability issue to come up Bobby would likely take care of it to an owner's satisfaction. His just seems to be that sort of business.

I'm not sure what our next trip will be but we'll be sleeping upstairs in the fort. If I remember I'll update this with observations from other trips as the tent gets broken in. I'll gladly answer questions based on my experience so far if any of you folks have them (I might not check the forum every day but I promise I'll check). This is a product I can recommend highly- it's a great way to car camp and a great tent. Get one if you can!
Best,
Jeff
DSCF1428 copy.JPG
DSCF1459 copy.JPG
DSCF1684 copy.JPG

Last edited:
A last picture:

The pictures aren't great, certainly not review quality but here's another to get the sense of the tent's length on '60 roof.
DSCF1756 copy.JPG

Hey Jeff,

Can you please hip us to how you set up that shelf for your stove?

Thank you.

Sure- elevator pad studs. They are screwed into the quarter panel and I have keyhole slotted a folding aluminum shelf- it comes off and goes in the back until it's time for dinner. It's a good way to keep the tailgate clear to be used as a work surface while cooking. There's room for the stove and enough left over to put a pot, or whatever.

When it isn't on the quarter panel there are only two mysterious studs that people ask questions about, or to occasionally snag something on. There is a lamp on a flexible arm that bends out of the tailgate for light and in the rain I tarp that side of the car. With the roll up table we never need more work space while cooking.

Very cool. Awesome set up you got there :cheers:

Hey Jeff, Thanks for your write up! I've got a black Mt. Baker that I purchased from Bobby back in June. Here's a link to my Thread in the "Camping and Outdoor Gear" forum just for my slant. I imagine the surf board carrier that you have strapped to your tent lid is causing the hydraulic struts to act up. I agree with you on the length of the tent and back wall issues. I'm only 5'9" and I think it could be a tad longer. I'm gonna stay tuned to this for how you're faring with yours. Check mine from time to time. I'll be updating as it gets used. :cheers:

Thanks SIZZLE, mostly the set up is built of spare stuff around the shop & army surplus- I try to not spend too much on building things out. (My occupation probably puts me at an advantage here.) I have also hooked a few ideas from folks here (Kevin Rowland's tailgate lid was remade with some leftover rubber flooring for example) for sure. My only complaint is that we are not yet living out of it for 6 mos. or more a year. And that I haven't done the turbo as the box of parts ages in my office....

I'll check your thread Tom, so far the tent is great and I wish I were 5'-9" for more reasons than fitting in the tent better! I'll try also to update this as things get shaken out. It seems that these are great tents and ought increase in market share. I am pretty sure that the surfboard rack isn't the issue- it's not too heavy (probably ±3lbs each bar ) and they worked great for a while with it. I never attempted to raise the tent lid with a loaded board bag- that damn thing weighs 50lbs when I check it flying- here I imagine it is down to 35lbs or so since I am not stuffing everything into it- all the spearing stuff goes in the truck!

Thanks folks, I hope that this (and Tom's threads) are useful,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom