14b-t or 13b-t (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

BT 14 or BT 13
Hi there,

So thanks to this forum, I now know sort of what engine will host my sweet old 1980 BJ40 diesel. I have a quote coming in next week of a new BT13 ánd a BT14. But, I don´t even know if that BT14 will fit my car. I know for certain that the BT13 does. So, is there anyone out there that has put the BT14 in their cruiser? And if so, what complications were there? And besides the direct injection, and being a 3.7, what else separates the BT14 from the BT13? Do these carrie intercoolers? Lots of questions, sorry.

Thanking you guys in advance,

Alex:beer:

You put the engine codes backwards. It is 13b-t and 14b-t.

Sorry I cannot provide any info. But there has been a few 13b-t's installed in place of the 3B.

Not many 14b-t info threads in here I can re-call. There was someone I thought in central America that installed on in a FJ73 I think......... But I cannot remember who, or what words to search.

OK

Thanks,

So that is no problem then. I will just wait for the price difference between the 2. I guess that 14BT will just give a horse or 15 extra, so that could be my pick. Any info on a BT14 is very welcome!

The only difference I know of between the engines is that the 14b-t has a slightly larger stroke. Everything should bolt up the same as the blocks are identical.

If you have a choice between both, definately go with the 14BT.

Its a much more advanced motor.

From the 08/88 on, all the 'b' series engines (except the 13BT) went to a stronger, non sleeved block that incorporated a roller cam - which is identified by the lack of a cam follower access plate on the right hand side of the block.

The 14B block is noticeably 'beefier' when compared to the 13B. The 13B is like a 3B with extra ribs cast onto it, whereas the 14B has that same extra thickness, but it is cast all the way through.

Its got the same bore as the 13B, but has a longer stroke.

Other differences are - rotary injection pump vs inline, 10 vs 8 bolt exhaust manifold, larger oil pump, timing case mounted vacuum and power steering pumps.

It will fit, but it will be easier if you have the alloy bellhousing from a later BJ60 or BJ70 series as i think theres clearance issues with the pressure plate when using the earlier cast iron bellhousing.

Also, most 14B's have a winged sump which will needs to modified. The right hand 'wing' will need to be removed to clear the diff head. The left hand one can stay unless you are using a PTO winch??. I have a feeling that the sump from a '3bII' equipped BJ70 can be used, which wont need to be altered.

Im not sure where you are located, but an ever better choice would be a 15B (if there available where you are).

Its has basically got the same block as the 14B (it uses the same crankshaft), but has a larger bore which brings it out too 4.1L:D

But the big plus is that it has 16 valves - which are still pushrod actuated, so theres no cambelt;p And their very nice to drive, even when mounted in a 4 Ton truck.

Just food for thought...

Last edited:
15 Bt?

Thanks a lot mate,

This is good advise. But never even heard of a 15BT. That must be some engine, leaving small block V8´s for dead I guess. I will have that one quoted too. But, won´t it be an overkill for the gearbox? Remember that my 1980 B1 has some (by now, the car drowned twice while I had it, who knows what happened before) 75 horses, and with a 15BT that will be double or something. As a diesel fan it would be some car. I am located in Chile, and it happens to be that a friend of mine is a Hino dealer.

15BT then huh?

Cheers,

If you have a choice between both, definately go with the 14BT.

Its a much more advanced motor.

For some reason all 'B' series after 08/88 (except the 13BT) went to a stronger, non sleeved block that incorporated a roller cam - which is identified by the lack of a cam follower access plate on the right hand side of the block.

The 14B block is noticeably 'beefier' when compared to the 13B. The 13B is like a 3B with extra ribs cast onto it, whereas the 14B has that same extra thickness, but it is cast all the way through.

Its got the same bore as the 13B, but has a longer stroke.

Other differences are - rotary injection pump vs inline, 10 vs 8 bolt exhaust manifold, larger oil pump, timing case mounted vacuum and power steering pumps.

It will fit, but it will be easier if you have the alloy bellhousing from a later BJ60 or BJ70 series as i think theres clearance issues with the pressure plate when using the earlier cast iron bellhousing.

Also, most 14B's have a winged sump which will needs to modified. The right hand 'wing' will need to be removed to clear the diff head. The left hand one can stay unless you are using a PTO winch??. I have a feeling that the sump from a '3bII' equipped BJ70 can be used, which wont need to be altered.

Im not sure where you are located, but an ever better choice would be a 15B (if there available where you are).

Its has basically got the same block as the 14B (it uses the same crankshaft), but has a larger bore which brings it out too 4.1L:D
But the big plus is that it has 16 valves - which are still pushrod actuated, so theres no cambelt;p And their very nice to drive, even when mounted in a 4 Ton truck.

Just food for thought...

15bft

If you can get your hands on one, the 15B would definately be the the pick of the bunch.

Theres 3 different versions -

15BF (mechanical pump, non turbo)
15BFT (mechanical pump, turbo)
15BFTE (electronic pump, turbo)

Well theres a fourth, the 15BLPG, but thats another story...

We get alot of secondhand Japanese cars and light trucks imported here into New Zealand, so 15BF powered Dyna and Toyace's are becoming quite common. The same engine is stocked by most engine importers.

While not as common, the 15BFTE is available down this way. I've managed to find a couple of complete trucks with the FTE at wreckers, but their of little use unless you want to spend $$$ figuring out how to get them running with their (1 possibly 2) computers, as well as mounting the fly-by-wire throttle sensor.

So if you want a turbo version, the 15BFT is the one to pick. Unfortunetly their not readily avalible yet (im waiting for one myself).

I dont think the 15BF would be anything to laugh at, with 125hp its about the same as the 13BT!! I've driven a few Dyna 4 - 5 ton trucks fitted with them lately, and was more than impressed how well they moved along - especially considering they were carring a load, and are about as aerodynamic as a house! We got up to 140km/h easily. Thats probably more than enough for a 40, plus you could always turbo it later on if need be...

I wouldnt worry about the gearbox as the BJ74 came with the h55F.

Some pics

Heres a few of the 15BF. The middle photo shows a BJ74 bellhousing (13BT) mounted to it.

Youve got to love the wording on the valve cover huh:D
P1030492.JPG
P1030496.JPG
P1030445.JPG

And a few of the FTE

Notice the shield covering the electronic injector pump, and the stepper motor for the fly by wire throttle body.
P1030422.JPG
P1030431.JPG
P1030434.JPG

B15

Gee man,

Thanks for all this, much appreciated. Now I am curious of the years they built that engine. I can then get a used one and rebuilt it, especially when they´re used in trucks, supply should not be a problem. So you say they are used in Dyna trucks, have to see if they made it to Chile. Since Hino is a Toyota sub-contractor, have you got an idea what brands used them as well? I assume Toyota itself, but they don`t make trucks do they?

Another thing I like about this is that there is probably no significant weight change, as one would get in mounting these 6 cyl diesels (crossed my mind too).

regards,

As far as i can tell the production dates are -

15BF 05/95-06/99
15BFT 05/95-05/99
15BFTE 08/99-08/04

(or thereabouts)

Yes Toyota do make trucks, their called the Dyna and Toyace. They also make buses which are fitted with these engines, called the Coaster.

Daihatsu also make a truck called the Delta which has been fitted with the 13B, 14B and 15B (possibly others) over the years.

I havent had much to do with Hino's, but i did a quick search on google, and it seems that the Hino 'Ranger' has been fitted with the 15B. You kind of get the feeling that the Dyna, Delta and Ranger are all the same truck - just badged differently, as they all use the same model codes eg:BU162

And yeah, if your truck is already fitted with a 'b' engine it makes sense to drop another (larger) one in, as the mounts dont need to be changed, the radiator hoses will hook straight up, so should the wiring... I wouldnt be suprised if the exhaust lined up with the manifold as well.

cheers

As far as i can tell the production dates are -

15BF 05/95-06/99
15BFT 05/95-05/99
15BFTE 08/99-08/04

(or thereabouts)

Yes Toyota do make trucks, their called the Dyna and Toyace. They also make buses which are fitted with these engines, called the Coaster.

Daihatsu also make a truck called the Delta which has been fitted with the 13B, 14B and 15B (possibly others) over the years.

I havent had much to do with Hino's, but i did a quick search on google, and it seems that the Hino 'Ranger' has been fitted with the 15B. You kind of get the feeling that the Dyna, Delta and Ranger are all the same truck - just badged differently, as they all use the same model codes eg:BU162

And yeah, if your truck is already fitted with a 'b' engine it makes sense to drop another (larger) one in, as the mounts dont need to be changed, the radiator hoses will hook straight up, so should the wiring... I wouldnt be suprised if the exhaust lined up with the manifold as well.

cheers
Cheers Kiwi, There is some good information here, great pics also, well done mate. cheers gazza

purge

Thanks again,

I know know what I´ll get in months to come, that B15 sounds about perfect (that much power without a turbo...). My current engine is really using that much oil now that she needs to go (2 litres in 1000 km, not healthy eh?). In the meanwhile I might give it a purge or something, to keep it going for the time being. Cold starting is really embarrassing in a smog city like Santiago! Everyone hates me when I start her cold. My final question as a Dutch novice on this in a country where I manage the language for about 50 percent is; how does a purge work, do you just put some substance in your tank, and that is it?

Again I appreciate your help, this is a great forum for me.

Alex:beer: :beer: :beer:

cheers

Not exactly, but close. Those top hoses all look different than my 13BT. The top hose exits off the thermostat to the other side, but the bottom looks about the same. Bet that turbo 15 would make a 40 fly though!

Not exactly, but close. Those top hoses all look different than my 13BT. The top hose exits off the thermostat to the other side, but the bottom looks about the same. Bet that turbo 15 would make a 40 fly though!

It depends what chassis the engine came out of as some have the top hose pointing to the left as per landcruiser applications. So it would just be a matter of swapping the top thermostat housing. Some even have an additional oil cooler between the oil filter and alloy housing (oil to water type).

The bottom hose will definately line up.

155hp and 288ft/lb in a 40 - DAMN!!!
P1030500.JPG
P1030497.JPG
P1030503.JPG

Last edited:
Some engines also have a steel 'downpipe' mounted to extend the lower radiator hose (which could be taken off) as on this 14B. It just depends which truck the engine you end up with came out of.

The last pic is a close up the power steering and vacuum pumps, plus associated plumbing.
P1030502.JPG
P1030397.JPG
P1030398.JPG

B14 and B15

Snail Kiwi,

I again see those photo´s of that 16 valve head and I know that will be enough, and the one for my BJ40, and the one to be. Unless I get a real good deal on a 14B or so. For some reason I am anti turbo. Fragile little things those are.

Again, thanks for leading me in the right path. 15B it will be, but it will require a fight to get a good one here in Chile.
Hopefully I can send you those pics in months to come.

Cheers,

Alex at info@caridad.cl:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Hey Snail, how did you get on with the output shaft and bell housing bolt pattern? I thought the 15B mated to the M152 and R151 rather than the H55F. Do you have to change the output shaft?

This is something that I have been considering for a while now too.

Snail Kiwi,

I again see those photo´s of that 16 valve head and I know that will be enough, and the one for my BJ40, and the one to be. Unless I get a real good deal on a 14B or so. For some reason I am anti turbo. Fragile little things those are.

Again, thanks for leading me in the right path. 15B it will be, but it will require a fight to get a good one here in Chile.
Hopefully I can send you those pics in months to come.

Cheers,

Alex at info@caridad.cl:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Hey mate, all the best with the project. Hope you manage to source a 15B, it would be a great upgrade.

But even if you can 'only' get your hands on a 13BT, it will still wake your 40 up!

Make sure you post some pictures, as we all love engine swaps!!!!

cheers

I think you guys convinced me as well. I have been kicking around the idea of a 13, 14, or 15B. I currently live in japan and have heard the 15B is hard to come buy and if you do find one it won't be cheap. Sound like they all will be a fairly smooth swap! Good luck on the upgrade and keep us posted!!!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom