1967 Mustang convertible resto-mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
Well, I thought I would start a build tread on the 1967 convertible. On a whim, I sold my 1977 Toyota FJ40, and decided after years of doing the LandCruiser thing, I needed a muscle car in the stable.

My brother found this car for me (he is the Mustang nut in the family), and it was super clean, and had been sitting for 10 years. The PO was a young man, and this was his first car in hight school. He had dropped in a 302 with a C6, but the install was not very clean. No stall converter, kick-down cable, and wires where just twisted together with electrical tape.

I just planed to do a few minor things to it, but once I dug into it, I realized what a mess the PO had made of things I decided to give the car a little TLC. First thing was to pull the engine and transplant a DSS Racing engine with a T5. I scored both off Craigslist!!

First thing I did was have had the T5 rebuild. Then moved on to cleaning things up and begin the rebuild. We Started this back in November of last year.

Engine Specs:
DSS Level 10 CNC block.
DSS pistons
Stock rods and polished crank
Comp Cams 270HR roller cam
Ford GT40 heads
Comp Cams pedestal mount roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM Carbed Intake
Melling High Volume oil pump with hardened shaft
Summit Racing SFI balancer

Here is a shot of the day we bought it.

washandwax1.jpg

washandwax2.jpg

POR the engine bay

Decided to clean the bay up and shoot with Eastwood's
version of POR.

Before:
engine_before.jpg

After:

enginebay_empty.jpg

Last edited:
Fast Forward a few month

OK - Several Month later, we finally got around to dropping in the New Engine and T5.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

A little touch up

Jack, who is the in-house painter at Edwin's shop (lcspec.com) did some touch up work on the front of the car. When the PO painted it, they did not use the correct primer on the galvanized metal, so it was pealing.

paint1.jpg

paint3.jpg

Wet sand and buff

So Jack was all done with his base and clear, so we wet sanded the rest of the car, glazed, and buffed the paint out. It came out damn good!

newpaint1.jpg

newpaint2.jpg

newpaint3.jpg

newpaint4.jpg

newpaint5.jpg

newpaint6.jpg

newpaint7.jpg

newpaint8.jpg

Very nice...I went the other way....67 Coupe, 65 Convertible, 66GT Fastback, and THEN a cruiser.

T-5 is sweet route....

Nice car...get some factory AC parts (67 had the factory option to blow through the dash vents, instead of the aftermarket under-dash combobulation....)

Is your brother's red one a '69 or '70?

I do plan A/C, but because Iam a vintage air dealer, that I what Iam going to install. One of the GenII units that will use the OEM controls and vents.

My Brother's is a 69, and he is also working on a 1970 cougar.

mustang2.jpg

Went buy the muffler shop at lunch, they are doing a fantastic job. I also had them installed electric cutout, so I can make a little noise when I want. :D

DMH electric cut outs/

muffler2.jpg

muffler3.jpg

muffler7.jpg

muffler9.jpg

it's nice seeing a V8 with the dizzy in the correct location, good job!

Finally got the engine bay all wired up, and even took the car to a low-key car show this weekend. ;)

lineup.jpg

march272011_1.jpg

march272011_engine.jpg

Great job!

I bet this thing is awesome to drive!

Any more updates :D

Todays update

Well - the 5.0 302 had to come out today, it seems there is a issue with the crank! :mad:

engine_pickupbed.jpg

Hope to hear back from the machine shop on Monday, then make a decision on a rebuild or crate engine.

Awww.

I hope it gets better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom