First aid kit (EMT kit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Hi there folks, something I don't see enough about is First Aid kits. After reading up on what I could and starting to take the classes that I could find, I have decided to get an EMT Deluxe Kit.

3516EMT2.jpg

I went ahead and got this kit from SOS Survival:
Proship - Product Detail.

Which has most of the basics that I think I need. So far I have helped a guy with a fish hook in his arm, my son cutting open his shin which required 8 stitches, a crashed motor cycle rider (that one was a bloody mess and I went through a lot of gauze and BloodStoppers®) and other various occurrences. So far I am pretty happy with it but I'm not sure what else I should have an what other training I should have. I am ultimately building two kits, one for each truck. I am getting the Pelican 1500EMT for the LX and the soft side is staying in the 60.

Here are the items I currently have in the soft side kit:

* 30 Plastic Strips, 3/4" x 3" (I have case of 100)
* 5 Plastic Strips, 1" x 3"
* 15 Plastic Bandages, 3/8" x 1-1/2"
* 1 Elastic Bandage, 3" x 4-1/2 yd
* 1 Elastic Bandage, 4" x 4-1/2 yd
* 2 J&J KLING™ Bandage, 2" x 131"
* 2 J&J KLING™ Bandage, 3" x 131"
* 2 J&J KLING™ Bandage, 4" x 131"
* 2 BLOODSTOPPER® Dressing
* 2 Burn Dressing 1" x 36"
* 2 Burn Dressing 3" x 36"
* 1 Burn Dressing 8" x 36"
* 2 Multi-Trauma Dressing
* 2 Triangular Bandages
* 4 Eye Pads
* 2 Adhesive Tape, 1" x 5 yd
* 2 Adhesive Tape 1/2" x 5 yd
* 1 GLUTOSE™ 30 gm
* 1 Ipecac Syrup, 1 oz
* 1 Activated Charcoal, 25 gm
* 1 Peroxide pump spray, 8 oz bottle
* 1 Sterile Water, 500 ml
* 10 Povidone-Iodine Swabsticks (I have a case of 100-use these alot)
* 1 Foille® Spray, 3-1/4 oz
* 2 Eye Wash, 4 oz
* 1 Airway Kit, 6 sizes
* 1 Bite Stick
* 2 Instant Cold Packs
* 4 Disposable Vinyl Gloves (pair)
* 2 Biohazard Waste Bags
* 1 Blood Pressure Cuff
* 1 Emergency Blanket
* 1 Hemostat
* 1 Paramedic Shears
* 1 Penlight
* 1 Ring Cutter (I actually got to use)
* 1 Stethescope
* 1 CPR Microshield®
* 2 Triangular Bandage
* 2 ABD Trauma Pad 5''x9''
* 2 Burn Aid Gel 3.5gm pk/5
* 1 Neomycin .9gm bx/25
* 1 Exam Gloves-Pk/6
* 1 Wound Wash Saline 90ml
* 1 Butterfly Closures bx/10
* 1 Tape-tri cut 5yd
* 1 Non Adherent Pads 2x3 bx/10
* 1 Sensi-Wrap 3''
* 1 scalpel w/#11 blade
* 1 Tourniquet & Scissors
* 1 Scissors-Deaver tissue 5 1/2''
* 1 Sphygmomonometer (BP Unit)
* 1 Thermometer-Electronic
* 1 Sam Splint 4.5'' x 36''
* 1 Tongue Depressors Pk/3
* 1 Oral Airway 90mm
* 1 Ammonia Inhalant Amp Bx/10
* Pepto tabs
* Epi-pen
* Small SAM Splints
* Tons of wound closure strips (steri-strips)
* baby wipes

UPDATED TO KIT (5/4/09):
* ear plugs
* lactose pills
* small plastic comb
* toothache gel
* lip balm
* Immodium AD
Now I ALSO have a survival back-pack that I also have a mini-first aid kit in. Which I think has more than the average first-aid kit as well which always stays in the LX.

So my question to the people that know, what else should I have? And what type of courses should I be taking in order to keep up to date on first-aid and advanced first-aid?

Slightly better pic:
EMT2.jpg

Last edited:
Your local red cross may have an advanced wilderness first aid class, there are others that are may be taught locally.

I took the Red Cross course in 1988 when I was into spelunking, and then again then years later. I am now due for a third time. I also keep current on CPR.

Mark

PS: Nice Kit

Way over kill.

Unless you are a certified EMT. Are you certified to give drugs? Only advanced courses teach airway management. BP is not really needed for first aid, and you need a lot of practice to get it right. Most EMTs and emerg. docs ignore any BP info from first aiders. You will learn in a first aid course how to approximate BP from the pulses available. Stethescope? Thermometer?

If you try to do things that are beyond your training and proficiency you become very liable for your actions.

I carry a few steri-strips, a few triangular bandages (with safety pins), a few band-aids, a few 4x4 dressings and an abdominal pad, surgical tape and maybe a tensor bandage in my hiking pack. I add a set of OPAs, CPR mask and more of the above in my truck and in my ski patrol pack.

I always have something to cut with, like a pen knife, multi-tool or super-scissors and I have nitril (lots of vinyl allergies) gloves all over the place (good for breakdowns to). I also carry Tylenol (for pain management) because I am qualified to administer it.

There is a qualification here called EMR, which is just below an EMT and is an 80 hour course I believe. I think you do everything an EMT can do except administer drugs IM or IV.

Red Cross or St. John's both give good basic first aid training. The EMR is taught at the local trade school.

By the way, the CPR mask will be a thing of the past soon. I am convinced that CPR will soon eliminate the breaths in favor of uninterrupted compressions.

First aid training should be kept up to date. I re-qualify with a sixteen hour refresher each year. I would suggest every two years at the least.

I second the steri-strips. Make sure you get ones that come in small packages. Generic versions I've come across will stuff a ton into a "sterile" pouch, and when you only need a few, you've basically wasted a bunch of them. Before I was told about steri-strips, I carried butterfly bandages, but these are so much better.

I also carry iodine as an antiseptic.

Well I actually have a bunch of the Steri-Strips I just didn't include those in the list. I have only basic first aid training, CPR and CERT training. I have been looking into EMR and also EMT, not as a profession but because I want to be fully prepared. I have also looked into Wilderness First Aid: Wilderness First Aid Course

Its offered locally and there are courses taught at the Occupational Center. There are also advanced CERT and advanced First Aid available which I am also looking into. I realize the liability issue but when it comes to my own family, I don't care I want to know what to do.

Take a wilderness first aid class, also available at the emt-B or P level. keep in mind the good samartian act keeps people from suing your a$$ off if due care is renderd and is with in your scope of practice. you can do what ever you want to your self or your family!!

Wilderness first aid courses are really good. They prepare you for first aid that needs to last for a day or three. Quite often the case we find ourselves in when we are miles or days from nowhere.

They also should teach you neat tricks, like use a jacket upturned to provide immobilization to an arm injury.

Take the most advanced course you can afford and/or have time for.

Take a wilderness first aid class, also available at the emt-B or P level. keep in mind the good samartian act keeps people from suing your a$$ off if due care is renderd and is with in your scope of practice. you can do what ever you want to your self or your family!!

Not so in CA any longer. State judge overturned it and good sams can actually be sued now :bang:

Wilderness first aid courses are really good. They prepare you for first aid that needs to last for a day or three. Quite often the case we find ourselves in when we are miles or days from nowhere.

They also should teach you neat tricks, like use a jacket upturned to provide immobilization to an arm injury.

Take the most advanced course you can afford and/or have time for.

Yeah I am looking for one that is actually a little more out of the way now so I can make it a little more fun and interesting. :cheers:

Those courses look pretty good.

My employer reimburses me for the cost of my training. If your place of employment needs first-aid people and the course you take is recognized by the Workers Compensation Board (regulates worker safety) then maybe your employer will cough up the cost. It costs more than that to train a worker on the company tab.

check out this guys.. I never taken any of their trainings.. although I might take the rope tech/spec.

ATS Professional Rescue Courses

Here is the article for the Good Samaritan Law... only in Kalifornia.. it is really sad it has to come to this....

California Supreme Court allows good Samaritans to be sued for nonmedical care - Los Angeles Times

That is a good first aid kit..
Yes def.... take as much training as you can.
If you take CPR take the child and infant too... its pretty much the same but really good to know !!!

I have made several of my own first aid kits..depending of what the activity is...but yah never can have enough eh....

Here is the article for the Good Samaritan Law... only in Kalifornia.. it is really sad it has to come to this....

California Supreme Court allows good Samaritans to be sued for nonmedical care - Los Angeles Times

Yeah my wife was caught in that traffic jam when it happened. She takes Topanga Canyon twice a day.

We are going over this issue now within my CERT training. There is already legislation to combat this but its held up because of the stupid budget issues.

Welp, I think I just found the course I am going to take:
Course Offerings | Wilderness Medicine
Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) (36 hours, 4 days) in Idyllwild, CA near Palm Springs.

$389...ouch

4 days of training @$100/day = a very good deal.

x what everybody else has said about Wilderness FA/EMT training. I've been an EMTB for 8 years, and what I'd do for you as a WFR is way better than what I'm allowed to do at work (well, except for intubation). The real difference is the mindset of 'stabilize the patient for long-term extraction' versus 'drive real fast to the hospital & keep 'em from dying on the way'.

Yeah, I am already trying to make plans to go. I wanted to try and get some other folks to go as well. Maybe someone from my Trail Crew. We'll see.

My reason for doing all this training is NOT because I want to be an EMT, I just want to know what to do in f'd up situations where myself, my family and my friends are involved.

My reason for doing all this training is NOT because I want to be an EMT, I just want to know what to do in f'd up situations where myself, my family and my friends are involved.

Good on ya!

That was my initial reason for going through First Responder training back in 92/93. Then in 99 when it was time to change careers outta retail...

now I don't just play a firefighter on TV, I R 1 2 :hillbilly:

Good on ya!

That was my initial reason for going through First Responder training back in 92/93. Then in 99 when it was time to change careers outta retail...

now I don't just play a firefighter on TV, I R 1 2 :hillbilly:

Who knows? Maybe I'll go down that path too. :cheers:

Glad to see you all take first aid seriously. I wouldnt go anywhere without my CLS bag(combat life saver) Price...Free. Dont tell. I needed one for the LC.
Just remember...Stop the bleeding...start the breathing...treat for shock.. If you remember those three things you will do OK. We have tourniquets everywhere over here. Dont be afraid to use one. They can still save a limb these days after 4 hours with a tourniquet in place.
I just volunteered to stay 3 more months. No Rubicon for me.

Good to know about the good samaritan act in CA. I guess the old "look the other way and mash the gas trick" is the only way to keep from getting sued. Oh wait, they'll find out I am a medic and sue me anyway for not stopping to help! Guess you can't win!!
Thisilldefend: Glad to see there is still somebody with a gun keeping me safe. Don't wory I will do the rubicon for ya!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom