FR 212 on Oct 11 2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sloanstavern

SILVER Star
Threads
Yesterday I made the trip to FR 212. I have been wanting to see it since I first read about it here.

I planned to take it from east ( off 78) to West ( Clifton). Maybe I hit it the wrong time of the year or maybe I expected too much but is was just so-so. It was hot and dry, 75-80F and all the monsoon growth was brown and dead. No wild life to note, just some really big ant hills

The up hill part of 212 was fine, just a rough FR the last 5 miles to the ranch was loose and bouncy, but managable. The ranch is very cool. and I started on the river run. Water was normal - I pre walked all the crossings and just about knee high.

The trail was fun and fine, the river beds were in good shape.... but the access and exit points of each corssing were rough. Thick deep black mud. In most cases, it was two tire ruts, 10-14" deep, then a big block of mud scraped clean by the undercarrage of the last vehicle before me. After 6-7 of these I turned back because I could just see getting burried in that soft black tar and a real nightmare.

I may try the drive from Clifton East, not sure if that is any better. Anyway if was a fun drive and it reminded me how much I like that part of the state.

view farm.JPG

Sanf franfalls.jpg

trees.jpg

Sorry to hear you did not make it all the way to Clifton via the San Francisco river. Going West to East would be easier FWIW all the steep climbs were coming out to the west. You can check the water flow prior to running it. It changes a lot depending on the time of year looking at previous data.

sweet!

nice pictures. I would like to revisit that area myself sometime soon.

Sure do. He doesn't use it but I do. He hardly cares about his 100 any more. He even throws out his 4WD mags now without reading them. Lol!

I like the looks of 215 on Google Earth. The switchbacks look suuuweet.

That was a nice weekend, nice views

Tony and I did 215 on Labor Day weekend 2011. Upper section has nice views, but there are long boring sections of cattle pasture that seem to take forever. Rattlesnake Canyon switchbacks are nearly too narrow for an 80. Had to hang a wheel out in space to make it around one corner. Has some off camber entertainment also.

So much for my FR215 plans. :)

That was a nice weekend, nice views
Seems like there was a pretty long section that was absolutely ONE Lane. No pull outs, no turn arounds. We had to really watch the trail out in front for oncoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom