B-Day/PARTY Wheeling and Camping Saturday-Sunday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

It will be my 18+20 B-day this weekend and I want to spend it doing what I like to do the most.. Off-roading, camping, hanging out with CSC buddies and drinking some :beer: In a beautiful spot!
But I need the collective's opinion on a good spot for this weekend.
Requirements are: Decent off-roading (my buddy and his wife will be driving a 4xTacoma stock format, A+ Driver) so it can't be too terribly hard, we want to take our Kayaks so a nice lake would be a ++++ :D And cooler weather would be awesome so someplace up north not more than 3 hours from PHX.
:hmm: PLEASE give me your best suggestions!! :hmm:
Everyone is invited to the festivities! This will be a family friendly campsite with 2 kids already coming!. :popcorn:
Our plan is to leave from Tempe Saturday 8AM ish! and coming back Sunday sometime not too late! ;)

Last edited:
Sheep's bridge?

Yes I thought of going to Sheep's bridge.. But I've been there at least 10 times in the last 5 years.
The bad thing is there would be no lake to put the Kayak's in and enjoy.. But I guess we could run down the river??

Yes I thought of going to Sheep's bridge.. But I've been there at least 10 times in the last 5 years.
The bad thing is there would be no lake to put the Kayak's in and enjoy.. But I guess we could run down the river??

A couple spots down river with access to river for pick up

I think I found a good spot!!!

Spillway Campground
Woods Canyon Road
Coconino, Arizona 85931

Going on the post from clarkrw3... https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/626126-payson-wheeling-camping.html
I think I'll replicate his wheeling..
and Camp out at:
Spillway Campground‎ Woods Canyon Road
Coconino, Arizona 85931
That should make a good base to setup and float the Kayaks on Woods Canyon lake!

IF anyone is interested in joining us either to camp out and share some camping and :beer: with us.. Or 4x in the area Saturday afternoon.. or Sunday before too late! Send me a PM. I'll be checking it regularly till Friday night. !:cheers::steer:

Might not actually camp at the campground.. but we will be near depending on how many people there are there, and how accessible other nicer spots are in the area.. I'll have the CB on Ch6 ;)

Last edited:
Reserve your spots at Spillway asap if any are available. It is a nice camp area, certainly not primitive but very well maintained, clean and nice camp hosts. Lake access is great from the camp, carry kayaks from camp to lake or leave at the spillway on shore for easy in/out.

Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at Chevelon Lake (inlet side). More remote, fewer people, better fishing and scenery.

However, the hike down to Chevelon Lake from the gate will kill you dragging a kayak, and I doubt you'll be able to get it up without help and a few breaks. It's got to be a mile from top to bottom.

Woods Canyon Lake is always very easy to get into - maybe too easy. There seem to be entire armadas of minivans every time we drive through there to drop off our packed-out trash from Bear Canyon Lake; it's only 12mi more down the Rim Road, and not many people get off the pavement to go check it out. Much easier kayak access, as well, since the walk is only about 100yds from the gate on the North end.

See my writeup here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/604785-bear-canyon-lk-chevelon-lk-7-4-2012-a.html

Happy Birthday!

However, the hike down to Chevelon Lake from the gate will kill you dragging a kayak, and I doubt you'll be able to get it up without help and a few breaks. It's got to be a mile from top to bottom.

Woods Canyon Lake is always very easy to get into - maybe too easy. There seem to be entire armadas of minivans every time we drive through there to drop off our packed-out trash from Bear Canyon Lake; it's only 12mi more down the Rim Road, and not many people get off the pavement to go check it out. Much easier kayak access, as well, since the walk is only about 100yds from the gate on the North end.

See my writeup here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/604785-bear-canyon-lk-chevelon-lk-7-4-2012-a.html

Happy Birthday!

I believe bwesty is talking about the other end of Chevelon lake. Still a hike down but not as bad IMO.

heading out will be there till sunday!

heading out will be there till sunday! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom