Hassayampa River / Vulture Mine - 7/15/2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trip report on the Hassayampa River South of Wickenburg, as my brother and I managed to get out and do some wheeling today. We did a 'bugout' drill (minimal equipment - fixed meeting time), and headed over to see how much 3" of rain North of Wickenburg can change the riverbed. Rough trip direction was first to head over to the Hassayampa to check out the river, then up to Wickenburg to grab something to eat, North of Wickenburg to check out some of the washes which feed the river, and then along the Vulture Mine Rd (scenic and fast) for a roundabout return to PHX via Sun Valley Parkway. Route map:
33u66mx.jpg

This first shot is the gratuitous LandCruiser shot overlooking the menacing flow - this was black mud, and of untold depth, but having wheeled out in the sandy riverbottom before, neither one of us was willing to attempt a crossing. No telling how deep it was, and with the current flowing, you could tell that anybody going in would be stuck there;
29428tt.jpg

We had our FRS radios on to talk on the road - which really made the trip that much more fun, so my brother suggested a place where he takes my nieces for rock hounding. Trying to get into it was interesting, as we were cruising on solid sand, and then next thing you know, he's hub-deep in wet sand;
jgp5k9.jpg

I should mention that the ARB, lights and winch (SmittyBilt - 8k) were brand new on his Jeep, and I guess they needed to be tested. I pulled along the side out in front, and positioned my 80 far enough away that we could shackle up his winch line and he could pull himself out. The winch didn't break a sweat and with the remote in his hand, my brother was able to steer it out of the sand and onto solid ground. Turns out my 80 functions great as an anchor. I jokingly told him that now his trip record is that 100% of the trips he's taken, he's needed that winch he never thought he'd use...

After a quick lunch, we crossed over the Hassayampa a few more times on the back roads which span the trailheads in the area, and came across a Jeep Wagoneer that had gotten stuck in a wash and was being pulled out by a Caterpillar back-hoe. After talking with a few of the spectators, this was the scene of a helicopter rescue yesterday after the Wagoneer's driver was camping up the wash and decided to try and drive out instead of seeking high ground. He got caught in the flash flood, and as we drove past, the hood was up and you couldn't even see engine parts - just an engine bay full of mud. I didn't take pictures, since I didn't want anybody to be embarassed.

Down South to the Vulture Mine road, and about 5-6 miles down on the East side, we saw a house with a bunch of Military M105-type trailers, complete with bows and camo tarpaulins that looked really nice; I'll have to remember that place if I get the itch for one. Several sections of Vulture Mine Rd were marked as closed due to earlier water flow, but the only thing left today was wash-out. Some of the wash-out sections were so bad that passenger cars had to turn back, but we saw a lot of this along the way;
28ukc4w.jpg

This was the worst section, but there were at least 10-12 sections pretty much like this, and a lot of debris on the road. Cleanup is going to take awhile to get Vulture Mine Rd passable for most vehicles.

Did some shooting against the mountains West of Vulture Mine, picked up our brass, and headed on back to Phoenix. Interestingly, there's a OHV playground on Indian School Rd at about 333rd Ave and we saw another Jeep buried up to the windshield in sand being pulled out by a Cat. Didn't hang around to ask about that one, as it was heading on dusk and wanted to be back for dinner.

Another great day wheeling, and every time I seem to learn something new. I may end up buying a winch, afterall...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom