Planning Ouachita Road Trip: Need Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unoman

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello AR cruiserheads. My :princess: and I are planning a trip to AR and I'm looking for some "local" insider advice and suggestions on "must dos" while in AR. We plan to stay in and around Quachita National Forest, Hot Springs and/or Ozarks.

We will be driving the 80 and towing our 13' Scamp travel trailer. The trailer is self sufficient for the most part, but we also wouldn't mind finding a place where we can plug in....make a base camp and take day trips from there.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

If you make it up to north west Arkansas ... Eureka springs is a cool place with lots of history and they have a KOA

Long Pool and Redding Campgrounds are both safe bets in the ozarks. Redding only has two sites with power though, first come first serve.

Hit up Oark, White Rock Mountain, and enjoy some backroads.

Thanks for the info. So far, the loose plan is to hit the Ozark area first, move down to Hot Springs and then head west towards Little Missouri Falls. All the while stopping and visiting places along the way. Pretty sure we won't head further north than the Ozark area.

This will be the first time spending any amount time in AR, so we want to try and do as much as we can.

I've been reading that many roads to get to some of these place are dirt roads. My camper doesn't have much ground clearance. In general, are these dirt roads just that...a dirt road, or are they something that requires any ground clearance? Basically, if a car can make, I'll be able to make it with the trailer.

Hit and miss. Some are hard with 33s and lockers and others are better than I40. Are you just hitting it and going where the road takes you or do you have a route? I can check your route for known hazards.

If you make it down to the Little Missouri Falls area there is only camping at Shady Lake. They do have power there...Great place and close to L.M. Falls, Albert Pike, Cossatot Falls, etc. There are plenty of places to set up camp along the river, but no electricity.

I highly recommend Cossatot Falls on the Cossatot River. Very close to L.M. Falls (within 15 miles or so). There is camping up river from the falls at the "Sand Bar", but I don't know if there is power. All the roads are Forestry Service maintained.

Here's a link
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/cossatotriver/#.UgQ_VNI3uns

Last edited:
hiya,

i'd say richland creek campground or Haw creek campground in the Ozarks are a good bet. Both are primitive and you'd better gas up at dover before heading out as the towns around them are small stops and don't have gas. There is a gas station in deer, AR as well as jasper, AR. If you head back to HS on hiway 7, you can stop in at one of the Corp campsites at Nimrod and ride around the Ouachitas around hollis. Closer to HS is Lake Ouachita state park. From there the cossatot is not a bad drive and there are also state park campsites at daisy state park, pretty close to the cossatot. I like the cosstot campground, but they don't have electricity; however, there are several private campgrounds that have opened up close to there that are pretty nice.

If you're staying further west, head to Turner bend on the pig trail near Ozark. They have a nice campsites next to the mulberry river. Ozark has a pretty nice Barbeque restaurant too and the cafe at Oark is supposed to be pretty nice. From ozark you can head down on hiway 23 to booneville and then to jack creek or over to hiway 71 to mena and the cossatot.

Some of the dirt roads may be a bit rough due to the recent rains, but even then they are not usually too bad.

Good luck and have fun! ty
:beer:

I was up at Richland creek today and the campground is closed for repairs. Check the ozark national forest webpage for other campground closures. The creek was at a fine level today and nice waterfalls to boot.
ty. :beer:

I appreciate the responses everyone. I believe we are going to stay around Redding when in/around Ozark. From there I plan to take hwy 309 out of Ozark and go through Paris to hwy 10 where I'll pick up hwy 7 on into HS area. From HS, we'll take hwy 270 or 70(can't decide yet) west. Most likely will take hwy70 via Glenwood and pick hwy 84 to hwy 246 towards Shady Lake. Are hwy 84 & 246 paved/decent roads? From there we'll head down towards Cossatot via Umpire and then back to Austin, TX

Is this a decent route to take?

If I can find a place to set up camp, we can take day trips with the 80 and I won't need to worry about condition of the roads. Electricity is a nice to have, but not a necessity. The trailer has a 12v system that will run the trailer lights if need be. I also have a small quiet suitcase genny, but would only use that in approved areas of course.

Last edited:
You guys should hit mt magazine since u will be that close.... I guess it might be a little out of the way...

Hwy 84 and 246 are paved.

Shady Lake is a good place for a base camp. If you've never been, the best places to camp are on the river/creek that feed the lake. Those spots have elec. hookups also.

I appreciate the responses everyone. I believe we are going to stay around Redding when in/around Ozark. From there I plan to take hwy 309 out of Ozark and go through Paris to hwy 10 where I'll pick up hwy 7 on into HS area. From HS, we'll take hwy 270 or 70(can't decide yet) west. Most likely will take hwy70 via Glenwood and pick hwy 84 to hwy 246 towards Shady Lake. Are hwy 84 & 246 paved/decent roads? From there we'll head down towards Cossatot via Umpire and then back to Austin, TX

Is this a decent route to take?

If I can find a place to set up camp, we can take day trips with the 80 and I won't need to worry about condition of the roads. Electricity is a nice to have, but not a necessity. The trailer has a 12v system that will run the trailer lights if need be. I also have a small quiet suitcase genny, but would only use that in approved areas of course.

Hiya,

Redding is pretty nice. Go by turner bend and the store while you're up there. They can give you all kinds of info about the area. If in ozark, go by rivertowne bbq...it's really good. highway 70 & 270 are both pretty large highways. 270 to mt ida, then 27 down to glenwood to 84 to 246 to the 'tot is a good drive. I'd also rec. driving over into the OK Ouachitas before heading south. Hope you will have fun.

best, ty
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom