1998 Tacoma 3.4 MAF Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading through quite a bit of write-ups regarding MAF sensor maintenance I popped the hood of my truck and had a look. The MAF sensor was easy enough to find but I sure didn't see any mounting screws. It looks like the sensor is integral to the round housing that fits between the flex intake tube and the filter box. I did find a couple of bolts underneath - are these the mounting bolts? See photo.

Also, there is a 0.030 inch gap between the sensor housing and the rear of the filter box (as shown by the pencil). Is that a leak source or is there some kind of seal in that area to prevent leaks?
MAF Sensor 201012 06 midres copy.jpg

Those are the bolts that secure the MAF to the airbox. Remove those and you can separate them. The gap you're talking about is fine, mine is much bigger. I think my 1" body lift made it pull down on it so I put a large hose clamp around it to seal it better. Your gap looks fine to just leave like that it's so small.

I appreciate you guys' replies. I was kinda thinking that those were mounting bolts.

Was going to start a bunch of routine maintenance work tomorrow, but whatever was in CA yesterday is supposed to blow through here tonight thru Friday. Brian - Hope you're not in Highland or anywhere else where the mountains are sliding into the homes.

I appreciate you guys' replies. I was kinda thinking that those were mounting bolts.

Was going to start a bunch of routine maintenance work tomorrow, but whatever was in CA yesterday is supposed to blow through here tonight thru Friday. Brian - Hope you're not in Highland or anywhere else where the mountains are sliding into the homes.

Actually, I'm only about 30 minutes away from Highland, but luckily I live on top of the mountain that's sliding into Highland (they're at the base). That really sucks for those people. I saw one family had 2 ft of mud in their kitchen and living room.

I just cleaned mine out last week. If you use a flashlight you can see the maf wire barely. I sprayed mine about 5 times turning it over quickly to let it drain. Also follow the instructions for cleaning the throttle butterfly. Mine had some carbon build up easily removed with a toothbrush and a rag.
I am hoping my mileage gets better with this and the o2 replacement

Check out this thread here...
Cleaning MAF - Toyota 4Runner Forum

96-98 4runner 5VZ's have a different MAF sensor than the 99-02's.

Careful with it, new OEM ones are like 6 bills.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom