Filled the hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
Hydraulic winch install

Well some might remember that I bought a winch several months ago. It was a milemarker hydraulic 12k. Not having any experience installing or even reading on installing a hydraulic it took me some time to work out what I thought would be a good install.

First the hoses supplied where way to long and needed to be shortened. Luckily there was a distributor in the next town over who took one of my hoses and cut it down to make 2 shorter ones. The one going from the pump to the winch is 34" and the one from the winch to the steering box is 37". This allows you some room to lift the engine if need be but do watch these lines while doing so.

Second routing the hoses to the winch would have to go through the crossmember under that radiator. To protect the hoses I sourced 2 rubber grommets of the correct size.

Then there was this PS cooling thread that made me think a cooler would be a good idea so off on installing that. You can check that thread for what was done.

Right now the winch is in place and plumbed in. I still have to wirer it. Thanks to Gumby's ROTW, I'll look for a fuse box similar to his and straighten out the mess at the battery while in there.

Attached are some pics of not that good quality as I was a little rushed to get things wrapped up because the truck needs to be back in service tomorrow.

One real odd side affect is much lighter steering effort. During purging my PS system my wife was in the truck and I asked her to turn the whell lock to lock. She immediately commented on it and after driving it on the road it is definately easier. It might be that factory spaghetti cooler that is now removed that was restricting the flow, but I'm not sure.
winch 001.jpg
winch 002.jpg
winch 005.jpg

Last edited:
Rick,

Those are GOOD pics, actually. I like seeing details like those grommets in the crossmember. Doing a mod the right way so that years later you flick a switch and whatever you installed is still operating correctly feels nice. Someone who's opinion I respect swears by the MileMarker winches and says that serious and constant winch work calls for a hydraulic one. They're just way more difficult to install, and more expensive. You should be able to move anything. Just make sure your parking brake is solid and pack some nice wheel chocks (these might fit on the back of your ARB bumper).

DougM

nice work!
did you loosen your belts for this job?

Where did you source the grommets? I'll stick a few in there just in case I ever route something through the crossmember.

Looks good!

David

E, nope

Josh, when you buy the winch you also have to tell them what make vehicle you are installing it on. They then sell you a kit that has the different ends that screw onto the hoses to mate to your system.

Ozcal, got them on line somewhere. They were military grade, sorry but I forgot the diameter but they were 1/8" thick.

why are they so loose then?

FYI, I got an e-mail back from Milemarker tech support in response to some questions on their hydraulic winch in a 94 landcruiser.

They stated that it is supported, but that the actual pulling force will only be 75-80% of the rated force of each winch because the Landcruiser power steering pressure is only 1200PSI instead of the typical 1500PSI.

Very impressive Rick. Don't think I would ever undertake such a task due to as you previously mentioned having no knowledge of hydraulics. I understand the fundamentals but trying to plumb that into my trucks system quite frankly would scare me just because knowing myself I'm pretty sure I would screw something up to the point of not being able to drive it. I know the hydraulic systems on my dads tractors on the farms are incredible. I'm sure this is going to be one impressive piece of machinery, hope to wheel with you one day so you can actually pull my stuck rear off a rock and I can actually see it go. Again well done sir.

Good work Rick.

Good job Rick, the install looks clean and simple. This winch will work quietly till the cows have come home, then gone to bed.....! There's a reason why hydraulic power is so prevalent in some industries, they work very well.

Have fun with it.

Ali

Nicely done sir. Please post back once you have a chance to really work the winch and let us know her performance.

thanks guys. Reffug, not sure where you are but I just bought a Camry to take some of the pressure off of the LC as far as work related travel so I'm hoping to finally get out on the trails more.

I'm thinking of taking my wife's 4Runner out on a secluded dirt road and drag it around a little if I can to get an idea of how the winch performs and maybe some speed numbers.

Rick,
no problem with room and access to levers with the ARB?
simple plug in of lines to the PS pump with the correct adapter kit?
did you get the integrated solenoid winch or the remote one?
looks good!
tempted....

I got the integrated one. Room to spare in there. I even mounted the instruction plate to the side of the ARB upright next to the levers. I should probably update this thread to show that and the control box mounting I did.

As I posted earlier, I had to have the long, supplied hose, made into 2 lengths so it would connect to the gear box and pump without a whole lot of extra.

good to know about the ARB. These winches do look much smaller than the electric ones with same rating.

So, besides the shortening of the hoses, the little adapter kit for Toyotas was fine, and all connectors fitted OK?

well, is the PS pump big enough? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom