TRD radiator cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search but couldn't find anything. Are there any advantages in using a TRD radiator cap? Whats the difference? Stock caps have a .9 stamped on top and TRD i think has 1.3 . My guess is that is the pressure release to the overflow bottle. Would it be bad to use the TRD radiator cap?

LOL! i should put 2 in then! So u think its just bling-bling?

The advantage is that Toyota will have more money and you will have less.

It is pretty bling-bling. Its made of stainless i think vice the brass of stock and of course TRD!

Uh no, it is not bling-bling.

The cap increases the pressure of your cooling system from stock (0.9?) to the labelled 1.3 bar of pressure. What does this do? It helps increase the efficiency of your cooling system. In your system there are bubbles of air which insulate rather than transfer heat like water does. When you increase the pressure in the cooling system you make these bubbles smaller and increase the amount of water touching the hot stuff, to put it simply.

This increased pressure can be a problem though, because all the components in your cooling system need to be up to handling the increased pressure. Lots of times, especially in older trucks like ours, a heater core or a hose or whatever won't like the increased pressure (50% higher!) and will leak.

Honestly, I think there are probably better ways to help increase our cooling efficiency without putting other components at risk.

parabola said:
Uh no, it is not bling-bling.

The cap increases the pressure of your cooling system from stock (0.9?) to the labelled 1.3 bar of pressure. What does this do? It helps increase the efficiency of your cooling system. In your system there are bubbles of air which insulate rather than transfer heat like water does. When you increase the pressure in the cooling system you make these bubbles smaller and increase the amount of water touching the hot stuff, to put it simply.

This increased pressure can be a problem though, because all the components in your cooling system need to be up to handling the increased pressure. Lots of times, especially in older trucks like ours, a heater core or a hose or whatever won't like the increased pressure (50% higher!) and will leak.

Honestly, I think there are probably better ways to help increase our cooling efficiency without putting other components at risk.

AFAIK, Redline Watter Wetter is designed to do all the above (increased surface area/decreased surface tension) as well as add extra corrosion protection and extra pH protection without raising the operating pressures like this TRD cap would. I use it and like it. HTH. :cheers:

turbocruiser said:
AFAIK, Redline Watter Wetter is designed to do all the above (increased surface area/decreased surface tension) as well as add extra corrosion protection and extra pH protection without raising the operating pressures like this TRD cap would. I use it and like it. HTH. :cheers:

I agree, Water Wetter is good stuff. Note also that it provides cooling system lubricant as well. I used to run a 1.5 bar cap, pure distilled water + water wetter in my supra (no coolant) with very good results. Note however, a 3.0L 750HP turbo car in TX has a bit different cooling needs than the average LC. :D

Good info. Thanks!

So, living in TX where the temps have reached 100 it would be a good idea? Do I dare ask how much this costs to a normal cap?

nyk438 said:
So, living in TX where the temps have reached 100 it would be a good idea? Do I dare ask how much this costs to a normal cap?

Again, I'd personally not do a higher pressure cap on our trucks. I'd look at maybe running a more distilled water mix since it doesn't really freeze here Central TX and maybe some water wetter along with things like cleaning your radiator, straightening the fins, flushing the cooling system, etc.

As far as price, I don't remember how much I paid for my Supra's 1.5 bar cap but it wasn't insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom