CB antenna in stock location how to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I stole this idea from Wagongear on the FJ60 forum. Anyway, Firestick makes a neat device that allows a CB antenna to also be your AM/FM antenna.

My stocker antenna was all busted up. I removed it, and stole some pieces from it. The area of the fender where the antenna comes through is curved, so I needed the trim pieces from the stock antenna to match the curve of the body. I then bought a generic CB antenna mount.

The problem is that the stock antenna curved plastic pieces are tall… a few inches; and the generic antenna mount is made to mount to about through ¼” piece of metal. But, the upper half, that the antenna screws into, is just a coupler-nut really. So, I found a piece of allthread that matched the pitch (this took some looking around, as it’s fine thread and most places didn’t carry fine-thread all thread); but then I need another coupler-nut and I really couldn’t find a fine thread one. Back to the electronics store for a second antenna mount (they’re pretty cheap).

I used a shorty CB antenna so I don’t break it in a parking garage. The plastic mouldings from the antenna are not very strong… could not take a lot of abuse. But it works for now.

My last post, I imbedded images… but only half of you guys could see them. Not sure what’s going on there. Picts are in this album (for those who can’t see them): Picasa Web Albums - Brian - projects

Stock antenna disassembled for the plastic moldings

3_24_2009%20014.jpg

From left to right… bottom piece of CB mount (where the cable attaches), coupler-nut (these first two pieces are all you would normally use to mount the antenna), all thread, two plastic moldings (one below the body, one above), a second coupler-nut (sacrificed from a second CB mount), and finally the CB antenna.
3_24_2009%20015.jpg

The splitter
3_24_2009%20017.jpg

Antenna installed
3_24_2009%20019.jpg

that was quick:D good idea!

I got better radio reception with my CB antenna using Firestik's splitter (unless I'm parked under a power line). I had to relocate mine, however, because of my snork.

Awesome. I've been wanting to do something similar to this, but with my 2-meter. :)

Thanks for the write up!

I wonder if you couldn't gut the motor and internal out of the power antenna and use a longer piece of all-thread to go right through the antenna assembly. The stock antenna assembly would then mount back as it was originally, providing a stronger base for longer antennas.

Doc, how close was the snorkel? i have one to put on.

It's only a problem with the OEM snork. The safari snork fits fine. The OEM snork covers the hole.

gifu thanks very much for sharing this info. I was inspired by your thread here a while back to mount to stock, and I added a little bit of hardware to pick up the antenna motor mount since I tend to smack into a lot of branches and am trying to support the load with a cantilever. someone pm'ed me about it so I figured the best place to share was here since you started it :)

I basically did what was mentioned above, but hose clamped the stock aluminum tube to an aluminum L plate that picks up the antenna motor mount. I'm sure there are plenty of creative ways to do this (u-bolts etc), I used what was on hand.

I don't know a lot about antennas, but I was under the impression that the stuff to watch out for is making sure you keep the antenna isolated, you'll notice the plastic liner in the stock AL tube (where the stock cable connects, cut off in my pic) as well as electrical tape for backup. then the proper part of the antenna is grounded below (yellow eye terminal)

Here are the parts I used, nylon spacers and tygon tube to isolate
RIDEitINTOtheGROUND_5157bb270466.jpg

assembled, note I didn't measure twice and ended up cutting the AL tube shorter, which was too much and maybe not necessary at all. easy sol'n tho was to bend the steel antenna motor bracket. moral of story: measure twice, but it's a forgiving system
RIDEitINTOtheGROUND_040bd9270465.jpg

view of the bracket assembly mounted in stock position
RIDEitINTOtheGROUND_e90e82270467.jpg

outside looks the same as gifu's
RIDEitINTOtheGROUND_9c40a4270468.jpg

I don't have the list of exact parts handy but if you have trouble tracking them down I can dig through my email

hope this is helpful!

Nice work. I've done my share of antenna hacks, but yours is among the neatest I've seen. The original was a pretty good trick, too, but you've improved on it.

Good point on isolating the antenna. I'm guessing that the coax with the ring termination is to your ground?

We like our terrestrial radio too much to give up that slot, though. I've got a crappy on-glass CB antenna right now. Worked for me before, but I think the metallized privacy glass defeated my install on that, although my VHF/UHF/800 mhz scanner antenna works fine on the other side. I'll be putting a Diamond K400 on the rear hatch in the spring for a CB antenna.

Thanks.
Good point on isolating the antenna. I'm guessing that the coax with the ring termination is to your ground?

We like our terrestrial radio too much to give up that slot

correct on the ground.

what is terrestrial radio? my first assumption is regular ol AM/FM but guessing there are some crazy radios out there I don't know about (beyond CB, and various 2m). This one does a good job handling the CB and am/fm with the splitter shown in the beginning, my 2m is still looking for a mount and currently goes on the roof via sunroof when we are using it.

Thanks guys, good information here. I need to do something with my stock antenna. It is stuck in the up position and reception is not the greatest.

I think this is a nice modification. I may do this and look at mounting one with some give like a spring at the base for those objects it may encounter.

This also opens a couple of switch locations on the dash for accessories if you do away with the power antenna.

By any chance...does someone have a listing of the part numbers (for Firestick) that they used to do this? :beer: I'm looking at FL4B (the 4' flexible antenna) at the moment.

I've read on a CB forum that the splitters tend to hamper your ability to "get out" (less than 1mile range) and they had issues with getting a proper tune on their antenna.

Have you experienced anything like this? If not I'd be very interested in this mod!

I use the splitter and haven't noticed any neg effects. That being said my setup has never been great for really "getting out", but I typically only use it when carvan'n.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom