H4 and H1 headlight conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
Picked up a set of the Depot headlights on eBay. The wiring is an H1/H4 style bulb. I couldn't find a thread on Mud that explained how to wire these bulbs up so here it is:

Search results for Toyota depo landcruiser in Car & Truck Parts & Accessories
The lens is clear glass not plastic and build quality is not OEM by any means but well made.

Another thread on these headlights

H1 Ground and positive lead. The positive is the center lead. If you look at the plug that goes directly on the bulb you can see one leg is the outer portion and you can trace it to the terminal.

H4 pinout looking at the rear of the bulb with the middle pin on top:
Left - Gnd
Right - High Beam
Top - Low Beam

Napa part numbers:
H1 female plug = LS6480
H4 female plug = LS6479
H1 bulb 55watt = BP1255/H1
H4 bulb 55/60 watt = BP1260/H4

Female 9005/9006 plug and pins - need to find a source. Black with 2 ribs inside is high beams, grey with one rib on the inside is the low beams.
DSCF5549.jpg
DSCF5536.jpg
DSCF5537.jpg

Last edited:
The first thing I did was to install the Slee upgrade harness and test with the OEM headlights. In the stock configuration, US Spec, both 9005 and 9006 bulbs light when the high beams are selected. The H1 (high beam) has one filament. The H4 has two filaments. E code adds the 2nd high circuit to the low beams. To make things simple, I just wired up the low beam filament of the H4 along with the ground. I was tempted to run both filaments or wire in the high circuit for low beams but I changed my mind. I don't know the amperage draw and heat that may be generated with both running. The H1 and H4 low beam bulbs come on with the high beams on. In hindsight I should have made the jumper wires shorter but it works. Ground goes to ground and the positive lead goes to the leg you choose. HIDs will be added in the future so this is more or less just a test.
DSCF5548.jpg
DSCF5557.jpg

Last edited:
:cool: Mike!

Are you going to do the projector grafting/retrofit or just replace the bulbs in the existing housings?

Thanks for sharing the info.

:cool: Mike!

Are you going to do the projector grafting/retrofit or just replace the bulbs in the existing housings?

Thanks for sharing the info.

The projector retrofit is how this started but I am happy with the updated clear lenses for now. HID bulbs will be added to these housings. Here are the pics of the custom rig Mot came across.
80 projector1bMUD.jpg
80 projector2bMUD.jpg

Boy Mike, you sure are making a unique cruiser. Nice mod. Can't wait to see pictures of it with your new grille

How is the cutoff/light pattern of the depo lights? A upgrade from the oem lights?

I need to replace the drivers side and the depo lights would be a much cheaper option.

They do look good. Way better than the Quads we get. Would be nice but when shipping is almost the same price as the lights it makes them a bit dear.

Can they be used on Cruisers that drive on the correct side (Left) of the road or is the beam pattern different in any way.

Would be nice but when shipping is almost the same price as the lights it makes them a bit dear.

Can they be used on Cruisers that drive on the correct side (Left) of the road or is the beam pattern different in any way.

x2 on both points...

How is the cutoff/light pattern of the depo lights? A upgrade from the oem lights?
I've done a comparison a couple of years ago with pics and stuff, but too lazy to look for it. :hillbilly:

IIRC, the light pattern is fairly similar to the OEM ones, as well as the output.

They do look good. Way better than the Quads we get. Would be nice but when shipping is almost the same price as the lights it makes them a bit dear.

If you're in OZ the e-bay ones would not work as they are supposedly for the LHD application.

If you want a pair for OZ/NZ/UK and cannot get them locally (or cheaply) I should be able to get a pair still.

ANYWAY, HTH's!

Last edited:
Haven't seesn them available here at all even on ebay. The only ones with one piece lights here are the Saharas. Any idea on the costing of the ones you have access to. Ive been looking at replacement one that take the H1 and H4 bulbs. The crystal style ones on ebay are around $200 plus bulbs. Would be nice to get a pair of those good looking one for similar dollars

The DEPO ones that come with the matching markers usually go for $350-$400-ish over hear.

The ones w/o the markers are maybe -$300.

Yeah, these are not cheap.
Maybe you can contact one of those sellers from US e-bay and see if he/they can get the ones for RHD for you.

Thanks Mot

Might just stick with the quads.

Not worth the extra dollars for just a cosmetic effect

You know there are probably a handful of Mudders in N. America that would pay you $$$ for your quad light set up (with the markers).

:idea: Maybe you can sell them yours and then use the money toward purchasing a new set in the future or something!

You're right though, it's probably not worth the hassle.
If you don't have them already, I'd spend the extra $$$ on a good pair of aux. lights, etc... instead.

I have a set Lightfore 240's all ready. I just want a bit more light for gerneral driving as the sealed beams are getting a bit dull. They wetre on it when I bought it in 2000 so god knows how old they are.

I need to replace the drivers side and the depo lights would be a much cheaper option.

The light pattern is identical except for a 45 degree spur off each light to the right. These are left hand drive lights and the spur does appear to light the corners so I assume it was intentional.

edit//

European ECE headlamps have a "kink" or "elbow" at the top of the center of the beam pattern, where the cutoff bends upwards.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

These are marked 'Left Hand Drive' E code so I would guess they offer 'Right Hand Drive' under a different part number.

Last edited:
I just picked up the Prolumen 50w Slim D2S HIDs in 5000k for these headlights and they will bypass the adapters listed above. The HIDs all use the 9005/9006 style connectors. It is probably a good idea to have the adapters handy should an HID fail though. Pics to follow...

SO can I use my original 9005/9006 bulbs in these replacements lens?

so you can hook up the high beams on the H4 along with the H1 for brights?

My depo headlights should be coming in tomorrow and plan to have a photo comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom