manual trans. swap ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking about swapping to a manual trans.
What will bolt up to a 3FE that can be found easily at a junkyard in the US
I’m not concerned about cross members things like that, just bolt
pattern and output shaft.

Is an H55F in the US

Is an H55F in the US

H55F will bolt right up to the 3FE, but I doubt you can find it very easy..

Nothing in the junkyard will bolt-in. Because the closest thing to a "bolt in" is an H55, and they are not in junkyards.

With an adapter bellhousing, some common domestic trannies will bolt to the F series.

- NV4500
- SM465
- SM420

If you can find an '86 - '88 FJ60 the H42 has the spacer to make it the same length as an H55F. That way you will have the correct d-shafts if you can find a H55f later.

Nv4500

Thanks for all your responses

I did a little reading on the NV4500, SM465 & SM420

I think the NV4500 is the choice I would go with.

Will the NV4500 bolt up to the Toy X-fer case?

What domestic X-fer case is typically used with NV4500

If I recall the NV4500 came in 3/4 ton and up Dodge and Chevrolet trucks. Its a very popular swap for heeps and such. Advanced adapters should have everything to mate it to just about anything, and at one point were selling the transmissions themselves. Check the length of it though, as well as shifter location. Have you figured out the clutch setup as well?

I have know idea what flywheel, pressure plate, disk and throughout bearing/ fork to use.

I’m guessing it would need to be from a FJ60 or something like that.

The Peddle, reservoir, slave, cross member and driveline
are not a big concern to me.

If I recall the NV4500 came in 3/4 ton and up Dodge and Chevrolet trucks. Its a very popular swap for heeps and such. Advanced adapters should have everything to mate it to just about anything, and at one point were selling the transmissions themselves. Check the length of it though, as well as shifter location. Have you figured out the clutch setup as well?

AA makes an adapter to the 60 series splitcase for the NV4500 which will have the correct output locations for your axels. I think they make an adapter to the 2F (same as the 3F). I would go with the Toyota trans myself beause it would be stock parts and no adapters. The pedal set is available from Specter for a mere $750. Maybe Toy pick up stuff is adaptable?

Well, if I ever do get that divorce plate made up (I've quit guesstimating on the timeline, since I keep putting it off!) I'll sell you one. :)

Well, if I ever do get that divorce plate made up (I've quit guesstimating on the timeline, since I keep putting it off!) I'll sell you one. :)

I was just interested in the measurements. just in case I need to make
an adaptor for a NV4500 to the HF2. I have a CNC plasma, lathe and mill
at work. I took the X-fer case off today so I’ll measure it out myself, but
thanks for the offer to sell me one...

New info & Q's

Partial PM from Al

You'll need. a 85-87 bellhousing out of an 60.
clutch Master, Slave, plumbing for it, pedal, h41-42-55, the 55 will keep about the same driveshaft lenghs, h41-42s will have a great change because they are a shorter tranny. You'll need...a new cross member, depending on what t-case you use you'll need new linkage. also, clutch,clutch disc, throw out, clutch for, flywheel85-87

Partial PM back to Al

Here is my plan due to a overheated A440F auto

Transmission choices;
1. NV4500
2. H55F
3. H41

Of course choice #1 will need a different rout

Right now I’ll do what ever swap comes up first
and in my price range, as the FJ80 is my DD.

On the EPC it doesn’t say what the T-case is on the FJ60/62?

The FJ62 uses the A440F but a difirent T-case then the FJ80
I’m wondering if the output shaft is the same on the A440F
as the H55F. (A440F output shaft is 17 spline to of which are
wide)

I’m hoping to get a partial trade for my current drive train.
although I may retain the current T-case if it will mount to
a H55F or H41 but only to speed up down time. I do dislike
AWD so it will be removed in the future.

It will be good to get all the info together for others.

Also I made a template with measurements I will post.
It’s the mounting surface on the AWD HF2 T-case.
Will post a CAD drawing too.

Is an H55F in the US

Just fly to Venezuela with a bunch of dollars and you will get whatever you need to install a manual. FJ62 and FJ-45 were assembled with the 3F til sept 1992, After this date all FJ-45 and 80 series were assembled with the 4.5 L.:grinpimp:

Just fly to Venezuela with a bunch of dollars and you will get whatever you need to install a manual. FJ62 and FJ-45 were assembled with the 3F til sept 1992, After this date all FJ-45 and 80 series were assembled with the 4.5 L.:grinpimp:

You know I was thinking about that but figured if I was going to spend all that money I might as well go to Brazil and buy a 2001 FJ40 instead.

FJ40 bellhousing

Any ideas why a FJ40 bellhousing wouldn’t work with a 3FE & H55F or H41

Somthing to be aware of; the pilot bearing holes for the 80 3FEs are larger than the 62 3FEs.

You might also try posting some questions on the 3FE Yahoo forum.

Good Luck!

Any ideas why a FJ40 bellhousing wouldn’t work with a 3FE & H55F or H41
No reason. As long as it's a 4/5speed BH.

Be aware that pre-1985 BH's clock the tranny straight up, and 85-later BH's clock the tranny over 7degrees to drop the T-case down.

You know I was thinking about that but figured if I was going to spend all that money I might as well go to Brazil and buy a 2001 FJ40 instead.

Hold your horses because you could get here a brand new 2007 FJ-70 (assembled in Japan) with the just released latest 1FZ motor which, based on some reviews, is even better than the 4.7 V-8, of course with front and rear OEM lockers (I drove one a couple of weeks ago and I am still :crybaby: )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom