Replacing the rear transfer case output seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just did this.
Even though it is a simple job, I figured a short writeup and pictures might be useful to someone someday.
Please make additions or corrections if you can.

TOOLS REQUIRED:

Wrench and sockets, with a small (4-5 inch) extension.
Snap ring pliers
Plastic hammer
Brass drift
A 3/4 inch PVC fitting of your choice (SST)
1/2 inch wooden dowel

PARTS AND MATERIALS:

Transfer case rear output seal
Appropriate sealant (RTV silicone)
2 quarts 80 w90 gear lube.

PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the rear drive shaft.

2. Clean the top of the transfer case to remove any dirt and grime that could fall into the open case.

3. Unplug the speedometer sensor cable and the two plugs on top of the transfer case.

4. Remove the 9 bolts holding the rear extension housing on the transfer case.
**The extension will probably not fall off--it's still "glued" on.

5. Although the extension is not very heavy, another set of hands would be helpful when removing the extension housing. Use your plastic hammer to tap the housing free of the transfer case. You may need to tap the back to get it free--there is a tab on the passenger side of the housing that you can get to with a brass drift and hammer.
**There is a small (~3 inch diameter) spacer ring in the upper passenger side (pump?) area of the transfer case. It is not secured, and could fall out. Watch for it.

Rear%20extension.jpg

6. The big cylindrical object in top of the extension housing is the viscous coupler. There is a snap ring inside at the base of the exposed output shaft. It is a very tight fit for pliers. I didn't think my Sears snap ring pliers would work, but after a few tries, I found that they would fit if I inserted them slightly open. I expect that most snap ring pliers SHOULD fit, don't give up prematurely.
Remove the snap ring.

7. Pull out the viscous coupler.

VC%20removed.jpg

8. Remove the three bolts holding the pump plate and shield thingy (name?). Remove the shield and lift the pump plate off of the shaft. The plate is tight, but I was able to remove it with one finger and one piece of bent wire inserted into one of the bolt holes.
**When the plate is fully seated, it spins. Remember this when you're reassembling.

Pump%20plate%20removed.jpg

**At this point you will notice the speedometer sensor gear at the bottom of the housing. You don't have to remove this, as long as your are reasonably careful.

10. Remove the snap ring on the shaft at the top of the speedometer drive gear.

11. Remove the speedometer drive gear (the one on the shaft that drives the sensor gear).

12. Remove the snap ring at the base of the output shaft, below the speedometer sensor gear. You could fish it out past the speedo sensor, or you could let it come out when you remove the shaft.

13. Using your PVC Special Service Tool or similar, unseat the output shaft with a few civilized whacks.

sst.jpg

14. Carefully remove the shaft from the housing--watch out for your speedo sensor if you left it in.

Shaft%20out.jpg

15. The output seal is on the bottom of the extension housing. Use a screwdriver or seal puller to remove the old seal.

Rear%20output%20seal.jpg

16. Use your plastic hammer to carefully seat the new seal. The wooden dowel can be used as a drift. The seal does not seat incredibly tight--nothing like the inner axle seal--but it is all rubber, be gentle.

17. Reassemble the housing in the reverse order.

18. Remove all the old sealant and clean the extension housing and transfer case mating surfaces with brake cleaner or similar.

19. Apply a small (~1/8 inch) bead to the mating surface of the extension housing.

20. Put 'er back on.
**Don't forget the spacer ring on the pump. I oiled it up with gear lube so it would stick to the pump while I put the extension back on.

21. Put the drive shaft back on and reattach the three plugs.

22. Crack a cool beverage :beer: . I prefer cheap beer when working in the garage.

22. Wait overnight for the sealant to cure before refilling the transfer case.

23. Don't forget to refill the transfer case.

Hayes

Last edited:
Huh?? Are you saying that you can't just unstake the nut on the output flange and take it off to get to the seal?

I've never worked on an 80-series t-case, but I've done a lot of the older Cruiser split case. Replacing the seal doesn't require opening the case, you just pull the output flange off, R&R the seal, the put it back on with a new stake nut. Very quick and easy job.

Huh?? Are you saying that you can't just unstake the nut on the output flange and take it off to get to the seal?

Hehehehe:D.... welcome to the madness. It is a very good design though. Now some one needs to come up with the front output seal DYI.

Oh BTW: Excellent writeup! :cheers:

Great write-up Hayes.

This should indeed be an immediate addition to the wrenching FAQ above.

I've been leary to attempt some xfer case maintenance that's been needed for a bit now. Seeing this done has me conviced I need to starte tearing into the sucker.

Thanks again for taking a lead on this.

Best.
-onur
Oberlin, OH

great post and helpful with the pics

Great write-up! Like Onur I have been putting it off for when I have free time. It looks like a casual couple hour job. Again thanks for the great detail in your write-up.

Romer,
Add to FAQ

I Love Your Write Up...looking At Doing This Myself Soon

Thank you, also (not) looking forward to doing this soon. For now, a spare quart and a piece of cardboard (SST ;) ) will suffice...

Now that's funny.

Hey Hayes--

You only did the rear extension, correct?

Looks like I'll be dropping the whole xfer unit to R/R both extensions...

:frown:

Oh, it will be a learning experience...

How has the rear extension been since the replacement?

Best.
-onur

Now that's funny.

Hey Hayes--

You only did the rear extension, correct?

Looks like I'll be dropping the whole xfer unit to R/R both extensions...

:frown:

Oh, it will be a learning experience...

How has the rear extension been since the replacement?

Best.
-onur

Only the rear.

Make sure you take pictures so I can follow your lead when I need to do it :D .

Rear extension has been leak free--sort of.
My t-case has only ever lost fluid on long highway drives. A few times I've been able to detect the faint odor of gear lube in the cab. After stopping and checking under the truck, there are little spatters of lube along the rear drive shaft and control arms. Sitting in the garage, there is NO leakage whatsoever. I've never found any significant measureable loss in the case durings fluid changes, but I don't like it.
Because I replaced the speedo sensor o-ring when I replaced the spedo sensor gear a year ago, I figured I just had a weak output seal.
Well, after I replaced it and drove to Moab and back for a weekend, the t-case blew out some little spatters again on the drive home.
I'm going to replace the speedo seal this weekend.

Hayes

My seal seems to be leaking a drop or two and the rear driveshaft is clunking (I figure the play causing the clunk is also causing the leak, possible?) so I figure I'll fix it all up before bolting up the new IPOR skid plate. I plan to replace this seal in the next week or so when I get some time. Is there any need to replace the bearings while I'm in there? I hope not, as they look expensive, but better now than doing it all again later. Anyone know?

My seal seems to be leaking a drop or two and the rear driveshaft is clunking (I figure the play causing the clunk is also causing the leak, possible?) so I figure I'll fix it all up before bolting up the new IPOR skid plate. I plan to replace this seal in the next week or so when I get some time. Is there any need to replace the bearings while I'm in there? I hope not, as they look expensive, but better now than doing it all again later. Anyone know?

The roller ball bearing is quite huge and long lasting but I'm afraid the clunking won't go away due to a new seal :crybaby: Sorry! But at least your driveway will thank you :D

Yeah, I'm going to pull the rear DS at the same time and see what the local shop can do about the play in the slip yoke splines.

Yep, clunking is not related to to your seal being bad. The common recommendation is to replace the bearings. If they are out of spec then you definitely should. When Lance (@ IPOR) replaced mine, he checked the bearings and did not require replacements. That was few years ago. I've fairly new U joints (12K miles). I grease both D-Shafts every 3000 miles (oil change). Clunk comes back right before it is time for oil change, only when I shift to 'R'. It goes away after greasing the drive shafts. Over time, I have stopped worrying about it.

I replaced my rear t/c output seal due to leakage. I soon found out I had to pull it back apart and replace the bearings (why did the seal break) and speedo o ring. The rear output bearing was only about $40 bucks from the local dealer in Florida. I did not see any signs of wear on the bearing when I replaced the seal the first time. When I pulled it apart again I could see signs of wear. I also had 1 less whine after I replaced it.

PS. both times I ordered the rear output seal, and recieved the front output seal. Two different dealerships, same mistake.

changing out the gears isn't bad. I recently took the rear extension housing off, then the middle section housing to get at the center diff and it was pretty straight forward. PM me if you have specific questions Dusty.

The bearing can be purchased anywhere locally if you provide the manuf numbers off of the cage and the race. Motion industries is a good bearing source as well as NAPA and Carquest type places.

I realize I might have to take this question to the 24v/Diesel board, but here goes. With my 1991 HDJ81 I don't have the viscous coupler, and therefore don't have the extra housing on the rear of the T-Case (I think). In order to replace my rear seal does the shaft come out of the end of the case, or is it also an involved process like what is described above? Also, can anyone tell me if the same seal is used, or provide a part number?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the hijack.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom