Webasto install into 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after having this thing in a box for almost a year I finally got around to putting it in this week. I've got a LH drive 12ht. After I finally removed the evaporator box under the dash, I had a good idea where to locate it. I wanted it lower than the heat controller, and well out of the way of everything.

Its a TSL-17 12V. I should have taken a photo of the instructions. I read them seems like a hundred times.

P1020995.jpg

P1030006.jpg

P1020995.jpg

P1030006.jpg

I stretched out the wire harness. This thing is for a semi cab, the wires were all 24 feet long! I have left over wire and loom now. I had to pull the harness apart, just to organize the direction of each section. It comes with a little fuse box, and within the fuse box is a single yellow diagnostic wire. Apparently if anything goes wrong, I can take it to Berks Intertruck or anywhere they service big rigs and have someone trouble shoot it. That is kind of cool.

I had to build a bracket to mount it. I had scrap, it's 1/4" pc from an old tow truck bracket but the dimensions worked. I wanted to be able to shift, or move the heater without actually having to disconnect it, so I notched the top pc, then cut it so it slotted in for the lower bolt.
Since its' got kind of flimsy stud bolts, I welded a foot on the bottom to take the weight, ( all 7 lbs ) and it seems to be okay.

P1020996.jpg

P1020998.jpg

P1020999.jpg

P1020996.jpg

P1020998.jpg

P1020999.jpg

After a phone call to Webasto Tech support to inquire as to wiring for the fuel pump, I was told that the round wires ( 2 of them - one from battery, one from fuel pump ) were supposed to be grounded to the case of the heater. So in the above pic, I scraped the paint off of the lower slot and that where they are attached. It also looks clean because the wires hide out behind the unit, but are safely away from the main housing which does get kind of hot.

P1030001.jpg

Here it is mounted, I was lucky as there are two factory bolts there, and the thing just fits like a glove. I may now have to shift it a bit left, it is close to the solid lines for the rear heater, but I think I'm okay. I'll monitor it and see if shifting it will be required later.

Above it, there is the opening for the evaporator lines from the AC. Future consideration is cutting a 5-6" sq hole and making it an access port with a fitted/sealed cover, filled with grommets and wires, etc.

P1030001.jpg

After I finalized location and got the truck into the shop, I pulled the air cleaner and had to do a mess of wiring clean up. it's amazing how much confusion is in some of these things after different people and conversions happen! The good part is, I have a better understanding of how and where things go now too.

I made about 6 trips back and forth to various auto supply places looking for bits of heater hose. That strange half round thing is from a Honda civic, and the other is a generic 5/8" elbow. I ended up just going and walking through rows and rows of coolant hose looking at odd shaped pcs and bits. The one girl at Lordco thought I was off my rocker. I am, but that's got nothing to do with this....

My idea was to attach the coolant hoses to the heater, then position it, and cut to fit. I also had to do the same with the wiring. I wanted a neat look, no extra wrapped wiring in bundles.

P1030007.jpg

P1030010.jpg

P1030011.jpg

P1030007.jpg

P1030010.jpg

P1030011.jpg

I'm just gonna post some pics and talk later.

P1030013.jpg

P1030016.jpg

P1030013.jpg

P1030016.jpg

The coolant lines run to the back of the 12ht. I took the inlet from the hard line off the top of the block, then fed the 'hot' outlet straight into the heater control valve on the top of the firewall. Under advice from Peter, Thanks!, I added a prestone filler cap to the highest point on the system.
Before I connected the coolant lines, I primed the webasto by filling the two lines from the longest one, which was the inlet line. When coolant poured out of the top of the short line, I connected it up, then filled the long line and connected it up. Since the webasto flows coolant whether it is running or not, I knew it would not have any air bubbles and be okay for start up. I then loosened the rad cap, and continued to fill the system from the prestone cap. After the rad overflowed a bit, I put the rad cap back on, then filled until it was full at the heater control valve. I now had a full system.

The fuel line is very particular for the webasto, they provide a specific diameter plastic line. They also specify how to connect sections, filter, and pump as well. In my pictures I have put the plastic line inside of a split 1/4" fuel line just to protect it from tension and abrasion. makes it easier to zip tie it to stuff too, without worries of collapsing the line.

The exhaust I ran under the firewall to the frame, and around behind the front fender. It sticks down just a bit, and is clear of all the brake and fuel lines along the way. My plan is to push it sideways when I get the sliders built, so its not under the truck. I don't like exhaust under my trucks, and from what I understand in Europe it's regulation. I haven't quite nailed the regs part, but close enough for now.

The intake is pointed up in the picture. After reading the instructions, again, I turned it down. I'm going to change it so it is pointed back and down along the top of the transmission tunnel. That should keep the inlet fairly clean and out the way.

Oh... I was hoping to see a fold- back Webasto roof- which would be awesome in a 60.

Eberspracher made the ones that shot flame in Type 3 VW's. (WHY did I EVER seel the Notch? I R idiot!)

But cool project, nonetheless.

t

You mean like that kind of fold back canvas roof?

Oh... I was hoping to see a fold- back Webasto roof- which would be awesome in a 60.

But cool project, nonetheless.
That's what I was thinking too. But it is -4 degrees here tonight so I like the idea of more heat!

Update
Works like a charm! After some thought and discussion with another cruiserhead. I am going to look into computer cooling fans and install 4 of them, one each in each dash outlet. Should make it nice for pulling air into the cabin. I'll have to research them, but I figure the electrical draw should be quite minimal for the gain in air movement. I don't want to use ignition pwr and run the factory fan
Anyone got any ideas on this I'd be appreciative.

I run mine on the factory fan, works great, the fan control turns the fan on when the heater registers a certain temperature, so I go out to a truck with ice-free windows and cosy temp each morning.

I would not bother with computer fans, they would be a hazzle to install, wire up, and won't heat the windscreen.

I run mine on the factory fan, works great, the fan control turns the fan on when the heater registers a certain temperature, so I go out to a truck with ice-free windows and cosy temp each morning.

I would not bother with computer fans, they would be a hazzle to install, wire up, and won't heat the windscreen.

Which fan controller are you talking about? I did not get the timer for my webasto, just the on - off switch. I'm always paranoid about dead batteries.

Segway Christian - PM me about what kind of winch you use, and have you ever heard of Runva winches?

You should get the timer! I run mine 30-120 minutes each morning depending on wether I get up on time :)
No battery issues at all!

Segway? Did you mean me?

You should get the timer! I run mine 30-120 minutes each morning depending on wether I get up on time :)
No battery issues at all!

Segway? Did you mean me?

Sorry, expression for change of subject, apologies :rolleyes: re: winch question, off topic

But it does bring up a question, does the timer tie in the factory fan then? Cause that would be cool. Is it explained in the installation instructions? I did not read anything to do with timer. I was trying to save a few dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom