Restoring 1983 FJ40 Esmeralda in Colombia comments needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CHAS404

Volcan 4x4, LLC
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.volcan4x4.com
Doing frame off restoration under my gringo supervision. Have contracted with a local body man and mechanic with over 20 years experience with these vehicles.

I am attempting to do something a little different:

1. prove that Colombia is a good source for clean classic FJs
2. prove the quality of workmanship in Colombia
3. by doing the above be able to ship interesting, completed high quality FJs into the USA for resale

Just took him the car today. He knows ALOT about these vehicles although obviously there are some differences between the Colombian spec models and the USA models.

I found a 681 original green 1983 FJ40 with factory metal hardtop (rare in Colombia). They were used in this color by the local government utility that installed water/gas/electric/internet in the city. The govt utility has a reputation for thorough fleet maintenance. They are currently running the 2 door 70 series landcruisers now.

We are doing full frame off restoration. Truck is in generally good condition. The motor is very strong and the transmission shifts a little rough but could be just my perspective. No frame damage. No bondo and very little rust.

Has some rust in the left front footwell. We are replacing with factory style panel which is fabricated down here. There was little or no rust in the rear tub floor area but we are replacing it bec it was dented up from its use as a utility vehicle.

I have questions regarding the restoration details will post in the following posts.

DSCN0618.jpg
DSCN0618.jpg

Went down into the center of Medellin in a Mad Max area and scored 5 wagon wheel rims. Please say these are them or darn close (I think they probably came from a 70 series. Here the FJ40s rarely came with wagons but rather the grey split rims).

DSCN0635.jpg

I will have them painted the white/creme color while painting the FJ40.

Plan to order 33 by 10.5 by 15 inch BFG ATs down here (even though they cost more here). I had them on a Jeep and a 3/4 ton Ram and liked them.

I really want the skinnier profile. Also this truck comes with 4.11 Colombian spec gears so I really want the 33 inchers.

has a slight shackle lift on a good original suspension. the 33 by 12.5 inchers seem to be fine in height but are way too wide. Hopefully no clearance issues with the 15 by 6 rims.

Worse case I put a mild lift on it when i get it back to the USA.
DSCN0635.jpg

My biggest decision here is whether to go GRINGO on the interior. Some FJ40s down here came with the American style twin buckets and single man twin rear benches with roll bar.

This truck has the bench and the 2 man longer benchs and no bar. I like the longer rear benches and could put a custom rollbar out back (slightly longer bar).

Not sure if i should leave it alone and just restore the vinyl or go with american style.

I can get the seats redone american style and also get a custom bar that will look original.

WERE THESE 1983 FJ40s BLACK or GREY or just grey???? This one came grey but if they were also originally black I would like to do that.

no speakers in the door. going for original style as much as I can.

DSCN0643.jpg
DSCN0643.jpg

FYI the guy I got to the interior work does incredible work. I will have him to do the headliner and the door covers and seats. He does custom soft tops too.

QUESTION? We are replacing all the emblems with new. the window gaskets. the turn signals the side mirrors. everything that does not look new is getting replaced.

what should i do with the SCREWS? original ls to paint them. but some guys leave the cadmium bronze ones out for show. Or maybe buy the kit from SOR for the stainless steel ones????

Hard to decide.

Esmeralda is a pretty lady but she looks prettier in the photos. she has some rust in the right front foot well. looks worse than it is bec of the glue that is there. The left front is where it needs to be replaced. The rear tub had little to no rust but was beat up from use so we will replace. Some surface rust under the left front fender. None on the bottom of the doors etc. There will be no rust left on this vehicle when we are done. New metal going in the left front footwell and rear tub floor.

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0654.jpg
DSCN0655.jpg
DSCN0654.jpg

Taking out those speakers. Also need to clean up those hinges. Car was painted only once or maybe twice (and badly).

Hello Charlie... Looks good... I like the stainless steel screws myself... They Stand out... I like the covers on the current seats you have... I think for the market in the USA however, twin buckets is the better choice, IMO of course... What's under the left rear bench...?? The fender well looks like a tool box or something...?? That side does not have the rib on it either... It is smooth metal...

I like your approach here with this vehicle and your refurbishment process... I would just say photos, photos, and more photos... With today's digital cameras and sites like photo bucket... You can direct people to your photo bucket site to see what you did to the vehicle you want them to buy... You can even upload short video clips etc to let people see startup of the vehicle, engine running, and that everything works etc. that clearly will give perspective buyers confidence...

As a current buyer in the market for a cruiser right now, I can tell you that is what I have looked for in my search. I have found quite a few who did that and had their vehicles not sold, I would have easily handed over my money for their rigs.

On Esmeralda you spoke of the drivers side floor board being worse than the passenger side which you did show a picture of... But no photo was posted of the driver's side... Why..? Post it up... Let every see... Then show the steps you take to repair the rusted panel with the new panel. This way, we gringos in the USA can actually see the work they do in Columbia and will know if it is good or not. Even offer suggestions on ways to do it better or point out something your guy might have missed etc... If you show us a painted floorboard afterwards and tell us all the "rust" is gone but do not show the process you took to "repair" the panel... It is going to be assumed "corners" may have been cut... Lets face it, it is not a crime to "save" money, and doing the process right costs money... So, show the people through photos, you are having it done right!! By seeing only a "clean painted floor board after the "repair" it doesn't tell me much and it could be a little while before any imperfections present themselves...

I am not the person to tell you about the rims you purchased and if they are right or wrong... I am still learning about all that stuff myself.. as I told you above, photos, photos and more photos are what would instill my confidence in any vehicle you or anyone lse are bringing up here to sell.

Good luck with this project... It looks like a great vehicle... How long before itis done..? What color you painting it..?? After its through, what do you think you will be seeking for this rig..??

I will be following your progress and will kick in my $0.02 as you post up...

Yes thanks. I screwed up and did not take a photo of the left side bec we were rushing around. The left side looks about the same but my body man said we should replace the metal with a factory style panel. He said on the right side it was not necessary. I crawled all under this one. Both sides are not as bad as some we have seen but I want absolutely no rust. the rear sill had a small amount of rust but I decided to replace the entire floor pan bec it is dented. We will take photos during the restoration process. the final product will be painted inside original green with no LineX type material. Below we paint it green with a 3M style protector but you will be able to see the black chassis and the green floors.

I have contracted to do a 2 month full body off restoration. The engine comes out. Everything. Time will tell.

This truck was a utility vehicle for the govt so that metal box was for tools etc. kinda cool looking be we will remove it. the seat covers are actually neat they are for work duty also.

I will be doing the buckets up front with correct grey vinyl and mostly likely doing the OEM style roll bar and the 2 individual bench seats. I actually can keep the longer rear benchs and do a custom roll bar that will mimick the OME style. Let me know what you think. I kinda want original but at the same time i do like 4 passengers in back.

So anyhow it is the balance between making it original style USA model plus maybe keeping some of the Colombian benefits (like the no smog stuff and the H41 trans).

I am keeping it the original 681 code green. Word is it is a rare color in the US. Body man is going to pull a color match from under the dash. He is very particular and knows quite a bit about these vehicles.

Thanks on the SS screws. I may do that or pull the existing ones (replacing a few of the nonoriginal ones) and send them for a cadmium bath. the original original gold ones are too gold i think on that green.

So in the end I am looking to have a restored 1983 with american style original options. The body is straight and we will perfect it with a ton of body and paint work. The engine is SUPER strong I dont want to even mess with it other than paint and detail it (no idea the miles on it). The transmission works great but felt tough to shift (could be normal). I think I am going to go ahead and have it all reviewed and redone. Same goes for the carb and the 4wd system, the brakes and the steering.

I will open up a photobucket account. Thanks! really helps bec these decisions are kinda tough to make. reminds me of restoring houses. You want to keep original but then you want to add modern updates.

Sounds like fun actually Charlie... You are going about it the right way also... keep up the good work! Is that going to be a keeper for you?? Or are you going to sell it..? If sell, what you thinking you might ask..? I'll be looking for the updates and following the progress for sure....

Do you plan on doing anything with the rear wheel wells that are cut out? I perfer the stock wheel wells myself. Those rims look very close to what came on the 81 and later FJ40s in the US market bur are white not black. In the US people want the A/C and power steering option on later 40s. Plus the front and rear heater that was in the center console. Things to think about if yor looking to get top dollar.

Hey thanks. Explain to me the rear wheel cutouts? maybe the colombian ones never came with that.

I think those are the right rims. My painter will sand and paint them the correct creme/white color. This one has original power steering. I can do the heater and the right side style AC but I am tempted to do the vintage air (or leave it as an option). Dont see the use for the rear heater (but i live in Florida so what do I know).

Do u think it is better to keep the longer rear twin seats allowing for 2 passengers each side or do the single benchs with an OEM roll bar. I can do either. I plan to do the twin buckets up front.

correct color interior is grey and my guy can match it very closely but i am tempted to do black.

the colombian ones are missing the dash pads too but i kinda like the all metal look.

These are the small details that are hard to figure out.

I cant and dont want to hide that it is Colombian spec. it comes with no smog, the 4.11s and the H41 which makes it better in my opinion but lacks some accessories than I can add back.

thus the question on the rear bench.

DSCN0578.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

these are the longer colombian benches.

I can do a high quality roll bar that will tuck behind and be in similar profile to the OEM bar (just maybe 3 inches longer).

so choices are:

1. I am doing the split original style buckets with headrests and then maybe a tuffy box or the original plastic console.

Then....

leave long benches without rollbar or with longer roll bar.

OR

do single benches with custom but very OEM style bar as it came in the USA.

colors I can do the original grey or risk doing black or brown/beige.

the interior guy is high quality and will do the new ceiling and visors and door cards etc.

original seems the way to go but having a '6 passenger' beach cruiser appeals to me for short trips to dinner etc.
DSCN0578.jpg
DSCN0598.jpg

Well i can't find the photo of the finished one I saw down there but you CAN tuck a rollbar support in AND keep that longer bench.

Below is the original original american standard roll bar with space for just one passenger bench.

DSCN0588.jpg

I saw it done with the 2 passenger by sliding the rollbar down to the corner.

Again not original but it may be a neat "colombian spec" item to keep. I can do it either way. cost not really a factor.
DSCN0588.jpg

Rear wheel cut outs

Hey thanks. Explain to me the rear wheel cutouts? maybe the colombian ones never came with that.

I think those are the right rims. My painter will sand and paint them the correct creme/white color. This one has original power steering. I can do the heater and the right side style AC but I am tempted to do the vintage air (or leave it as an option). Dont see the use for the rear heater (but i live in Florida so what do I know).

Do u think it is better to keep the longer rear twin seats allowing for 2 passengers each side or do the single benchs with an OEM roll bar. I can do either. I plan to do the twin buckets up front.

correct color interior is grey and my guy can match it very closely but i am tempted to do black.

the colombian ones are missing the dash pads too but i kinda like the all metal look.

These are the small details that are hard to figure out.

I cant and dont want to hide that it is Colombian spec. it comes with no smog, the 4.11s and the H41 which makes it better in my opinion but lacks some accessories than I can add back.

thus the question on the rear bench.

What "Living in the past" means is that you can see that the rear wheel cutouts are higher then factory standard.

The measurement the rear wheel cutouts with the Fj40 and Fj43 is normally much lower.

The highest line is about 1,75" under the lowest part line of the petrol door. It seems that yours are "cutout" like 4" higher then that.

thanks will look. the tires are 33 inchers in shackle lift. i wonder if it was cut out. did not appear to be.

DSCN0624.jpg

will investigate thanks.
DSCN0624.jpg

FYI were rollbars silver/grey or painted black? I have seen restorations both ways.

Roll bars were black 74 thru 78 models. 79 And later were grey.

thanks will look. the tires are 33 inchers in shackle lift. i wonder if it was cut out. did not appear to be.

View attachment 800933

will investigate thanks.

Do a little searching on mud of stock FJ40s and you we see the difference. Those wheels wells have been cut. Not done poorly but still cut.

Thanks. body man says they are original never cut. I am wondering if it is an 83 thing bec i know the tubs were different. OR I am wondering if the Colombian models had different wheel wells. weird. I remember looking at the well lips etc does not look cut. will investigate. truck is all dismantled already. will post pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom