Alternator and Rad Support Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rover67

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of trying to get my 82 FJ40 back to stock with factory parts. The Radiator support was off of an earlier truck, so I got another one off of a later model truck to replace it with. It came with a different support rod than what mine had before on the pass. side.

The way it was set up before the support rod went from the radiator support to the stub on the alternator adjuster. you can see the old rusty rod going to the bottom of the alternator in the picture. The way it looks like the new rod fits is to the bottom of the battery bracket.... and there is even a hole for it. Problem is it interferes with the alternator so it won't fit right. This makes me question if I have the right alternator setup/location for the 82.

Can anybody shed some light on this? I looked for a while for pics of 82 alternators and rad supports and couldn't find a good reference.

Is my alternator supposed to be down there? Does it have to do with the fact that I may have the bracket for the factory AC?

Thanks,
Marco
IMG_2798 (Large).jpg

No, your alternator is not supposed to be mounted there. It should be up high on the passenger side, on a cast steel bracket. It would appear that you have some sort of aluminum bracket for your alternator to pivot on.

Guess I do not know what you are calling a 'factory ac bracket'...."factory ac bracket " for the USA market was part of the right front engine mount and did not attach to the cylinder head.. :meh:

Post up some more pictures of your mess.

OK, will do this evening. Thanks for enlightening me :)

Here are a few more pictures. One of the alternator side to show the bracket I have, and another of the power steering pump side to show the rest of the belt routing. Any Ideas?
IMG_2825 (Large).jpg
IMG_2823 (Large).jpg

So where did you come up with that aluminum looking bracket?

US factory AC is ran off a third pulley, one that is narrower than the other two, and is furthest inboard towards the engine.

It came to me like that... the truck had it on there when I bought it. It looked to me like it fit pretty darned well (to the factory holes on the block) so I assumed it was factory. Also just assumed that the AC compressor is what was supposed to mount on the top of it since nothing else really made sense...

The bracket is aluminum BTW..

I don't know if this is a weird model or what.

That's a good question :)

I got it here in Colorado. The farthest back I can find records is in 1993 when it was in Montanna. That's all i have on it.

Could be a 3FE powersteering bracket...:meh:

You will want to get a fan shroud and install it, if you do not have one already...

Could be a 3FE powersteering bracket...:meh:

You will want to get a fan shroud and install it, if you do not have one already...

I didn't think about the possibility that it was a 3FE bracket.

I have a radiator shroud for it, it's just not on there yet. I threw the radiator on so I could mock some other stuff up.

Maybe i'll post this up in the 60 forum and see what folks think.

FWIW I just looked at the block date code and it's an august 81' motor. didn't look at the head.

That bracket is the 1st generation Vintage Air compressor mount, only made for 2 years then went with the later style seen around today...

I have the prototype.............:grinpimp:
DSC01595 (Custom).JPG
DSC01596 (Custom).JPG
DSC01597 (Custom).JPG

Wow, that's impressive!!!! I thought it looked like it was for an AC compressor!

Now it makes sense that the holes in the firewall were drilled out for the AC lines, but the carb didn't have the AC idle up on it.

What AC compressor is it that fits it? Maybe I'll keep it and do on board air with the bracket..

Thanks Man!

Off to go source a stock 2F alternator bracket, possibly a compressor :)

Compressor

Sanden 508

Unfortunately, from what I've read, the swashplate type compressors like that don't make very good sources for onboard air. It has to do with the lack of lubrication when used as an aircompressor, vs a freon compressor that carries oil with the freon.

You can do some searching on the web and such and find a few people using them though. The York twin cyl compressors are the most commonly used a/c compressors for onboard air, especially the 210 models.

Good luck, and I hope you get something to work.

Jeff

Yeah, I know they are not ideal... but I understand that with inline oilers ahead of them they do OK...

I've had a few Yorks on the FJ60 (one burned up) and they do do well.

Truth be told I am going to go witha stock bracket for now though. I may do OBA later, but it is not in the near term plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom