Real time Moab parts request - 3spd tcase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MD11Fr8Dog

CM09 Eight Ball winner
Threads
Anyone coming to or in Moab already - I Need a 3 spd tcase for a 40, or a 3spd output shaft. Send and email to me at MD11Fr8Dog@aol.com or call me. I'm in spot 170 at Slickrock Campground.

Last edited:
front or rear output? Just the Shaft itself?

i don't have one in my stash, but will check the shop to see what justin has.. we will be there mid day tomorrow

also check the Rising Sun Parts trailer.. lots of goodies in there!

I thought you had a t-case with you? Sorry I am no help....

Phil

sean...left you a message on fb. i've got an extra case...trying to find someone to get it to ya sooner than me (i won't be out until thurs nite)

front or rear output? Just the Shaft itself?

i don't have one in my stash, but will check the shop to see what justin has.. we will be there mid day tomorrow

also check the Rising Sun Parts trailer.. lots of goodies in there!

I talked to Neal Q already, buy he made no mention of a parts trailer. Just told he couldn't help me. :(

3spd front output is what I need, unless someone can tell me that a 4spd tcase front output is interchangeable with a 3spd. :D

I don't remember any tcase parts in the trailer. there is stuff like birfields, possibly some axle shafts, fuel pumps and stuff tho.

I talked to Justin earlier, he's bringing one from Colo. Spgs tomorrow night. Kurt W. is sending one down from SLC tomorrow night as well. If I can get one tonight or tomorrow morning, early enough, we can wheel tomorrow and Thur. ;)

3spd front output is what I need, unless someone can tell me that a 4spd tcase front output is interchangeable with a 3spd. :D

A four speed transfer case prior to 04/75 would be compatible, so effectively, no, they are not compatible, as the coupler and output shaft splines on the three-speed transfer case are coarse spline and not fine spline, like the 04/75 and later front output shaft and front drive coupler.

Pics originally posted by Manny....

Three-speed and 03/75 and earlier 4spd transfer case style:

tcase1.jpg

04/75 and later four-speed style:

tcase2.jpg
tcase1.jpg
tcase2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All:

Great info Steve! Thanks for posting the pics!! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

Sean, sorry to hear that you are still having trouble with that t-case! :frown:

Hope you get the parts you need and get the rig out on the trail! :D

Enjoy Moab, irregardless!! :cheers:

Regards,

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone coming to or in Moab already - I Need a 3 spd tcase for a 40, or a 3spd output shaft. I'm in spot 170 at Slickrock Campground.

Last edited:
both of the early three speed gears are lower than the cases that were behind the four speeds.

A four speed transfer case prior to 04/75 would be compatible, so effectively, no, they are not compatible, as the coupler and output shaft splines on the three-speed transfer case are coarse spline and not fine spline, like the 04/75 and later front output shaft and front drive coupler.

Three-speed and 03/75 and earlier 4spd transfer case style:

tcase1.jpg

04/75 and later four-speed style:

orion-dsc05630jpg.jpg

Yep, as soon I posted that I recalled putting that thing together 5 yrs ago and that it was a 2 piece shaft. We got it all back together and should be rolling in the morning. Time to sleep now, I'm beat.

Thanks.

Update - roll the 40 off of the trailer no problem. Can't turn or run 4wd due to the ARB being all bound up. It didn't sound healthy. So, after we finish our Burger Whop breakfast and hit the store for some food and camp supplies, we'll be swapping in my spare 4.11 diff. Sure hope I win an ARB locker at the raffle. :(

Update - roll the 40 off of the trailer no problem. Can't turn or run 4wd due to the ARB being all bound up. It didn't sound healthy. So, after we finish our Burger Whop breakfast and hit the store for some food and camp supplies, we'll be swapping in my spare 4.11 diff. Sure hope I win an ARB locker at the raffle. :(

ARB?

Do you mean that you cannot rotate the pinion on the front differential?

Is there gear oil in the front differential?

ARB?

Do you mean that you cannot rotate the pinion on the front differential?

Is there gear oil in the front differential?

Good question.

First the update.

We got everything apart - pinion gear, pinion bearing and ring gear - trashed. Shorst side axle shaft - sheared.

Borrowed a short side shaft from Rising Sun, took it to The Shop here in Moab, Austin and Dan martacked it for me - no charge, gave them some beer money.

New diff/ARB on it's way from Delta, one of Jeremiah's guys is setting it and running it out. Should be here by 8pm.

So, why did this happen? When My truck was at Proffitt's to get finished, one of the things I asked to be done was to martack my inners. I got my 40 back from Proffitts last spring. I never really run it in 4wd, other than a few times checking drop and checking to see if the front DS had enough travel - it didn't so I took it off and ran without a front DS until Jesse made a new one for me a few weeks ago.

I hooked up my ARB airhoses last week for the first and the ARB was op checked, buy I never really drive it locked in 4wd until I checked on the farm Fri afternoon. The lockers, the High Angle DS and 4wd all worked well. I then had to pick up my daughter from school ARBs off and out of 4wd, but left the hubs locked. When I got to the main road, it would go in gear, so I fiddled with the twin sticks and got myself back into 4wd (note to self: mark the twin stick
knobs) not realizing it until I was on my way. I figured I'd alright, but we know happened.

What I learned pulling everything apart this morning is that the diff was bone dry. Apparently, it never got refilled after getting martacked (confirmed by Jeremiah - his guys put paint on the fill plugs and mine had none, while my full rear did. Since I had no reason to suspect anything, I never check the diff for oil, and since I never ran it in 4wd or even locked the hubs (since I didn't even run a front DS) it never had a chance to generate any heat, until Friday afternoon. :(

Jeremiah is making sure I get on the trail tomorrow. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom