Zero point calibration of Yaw Rate and G sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reading through the suspension install threads everywhere, I’ve found that everyone seems only to be concerned about the KDSS issues we all know about and getting the front wheels properly aligned, but no one seems to care about the calibration of the Yaw Rate and G sensor. Is it maybe that no one knows about this?

According to the LC200 repair manual, this operation needs to be performed every time suspension related components or the sensor itself are replaced to “ensure proper operation of the VSC system”. This is the last thing that should be done after installation, fiddling with KDSS and wheel alignment are finished.

This is a really simple operation that can be done at home with just a small piece of wire, or you can send your car to the dealership to get it done with their Intelligent Tester, their Techstream or whatever diagnostic tool they use. Though good luck with this last course of action because all I’ve got from two dealers in Venezuela where I have asked about this procedure is a blank stare. Huh?

Anyway, I think it is better to do this by ourselves, as the process only calls for a level surface with an inclination of less than 1° and a small piece of wire. As I said before, it is a pretty simple thing to do.

I calibrated the sensor on my UZJ200 after installing the OME suspension, and it took a lot more time to find a perfectly level place to park than doing the whole thing.

For your convenience, you can find the description of the “do it at home” procedure right here:

zeroptcalibrationvscsmall.jpg

Note: I’ve posted this information on the Lcool.org site too.

Sounds like a good idea....but nothing is mentioned about a wire etc. DO you have any real world instructions and how to do this procedure simply?

Sounds like a good idea....but nothing is mentioned about a wire etc. DO you have any real world instructions and how to do this procedure simply?

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that the Special Service Tool, SST 09843-18040 indicated in the instructions on how to calibrate the Yaw Rate and G sensor, is just a simple piece of wire that can be used as a jumper between diagnostic connector pins to retrieve and erase certain diagnostic codes, as well as accessing other functions such as test mode and the procedure described here. It can even be substituted with a thin paper clip if necessary.

What I posted are the real world instructions that allowed me to perform the calibration by myself, I just didn’t clarify what the special tool was. My apologies again.

As for this being a good idea, I think this is more than that. As a matter of fact, it is actually a very necessary thing to do, in order to guarantee the VSC system correct operation after changing the trucks stance, weight distribution or attitude, as a result of replacing parts, modifying the suspension, etc. Otherwise it might be possible that VSC will intervene improperly or unexpectedly, which might become a safety issue, particularly when driving at high speeds or under slippery conditions.

Last edited:
Where does it say to do this when replacing suspension stuff? I see where it says about doing this when replacing the sensors or master cylinder, but not suspension.

While I think you are right and it's a good idea, I'd like to know specifically where is says anything about suspension as ARB should really know about this and tell customers.

Also, is that the OBDII connector they are using???

Where does it say to do this when replacing suspension stuff? I see where it says about doing this when replacing the sensors or master cylinder, but not suspension.

While I think you are right and it's a good idea, I'd like to know specifically where is says anything about suspension as ARB should really know about this and tell customers.

Also, is that the OBDII connector they are using???

I cannot say why ARB or other aftermarket suspension suppliers aren't saying anything about this. What I know, is that this seems to be an important procedure that must be performed quite often.

If you see the screen capture below, taken directly from the URJ200 repair manual instructions for wheel alignment, you will see that Toyota asks us to be sure to perform this procedure to ensure proper operation of the VSC system each time "suspension or underbody componenets" are replaced and whenever wheels are aligned.

Also note that there is an initialization procedure consisting of simply setting the steering wheel straight and disconnecting the battery negative terminal for a couple of seconds.

Fortunately, both procedures are very simple and can be performed easily and for free at home.

And yes, it is the OBDII connector you see in the posted instructions.

Calibratingafterwheelalignment.jpg

tv

Last edited:
Many of the Tundra owners have needed this calibration after suspension mods and larger tires. The VSC can and will kick in much sooner than required.... ask me how I know... :D

So does the 200LC need this calibration when changing tire sizes?:confused:

After levelling kit installed and 35s the engine would cut when accelerating hard and stop at 4000 rpms then come back in. After following the instructions above exactly there's no more hesitation and my truck flys now. I did this before shimming the yaw sensor under the console and see no need to do so. Uninstalling and removing my Bully Dog and finding level ground was the hardest part but well worth it. Thank you for posting the instructions as I thought my tuner was at fault, I got my truck back!!

Done this with paperclips a few times. Easy to do.

Following

Do any of the reputable installers here on the board do this? This is quite interesting!

Had to do this on my 4Runner after lifting it. Before I recalibrated, VSC would kick in when going around sharp turns at speed. A couple times it tried to redirect me in to oncoming traffic.

Clarification question: Does "turn the ignition switch on (IG)" mean to actually start the motor?

Clarification question: Does "turn the ignition switch on (IG)" mean to actually start the motor?
No. Push start with your foot off the brake

No. Push start with your foot off the brake

I don't mean to be a dick, but it's actually push start twice with your foot off the brake. Pushing start just once is just the same as the old ACC key position, pushing start twice is the same as the old ON key position.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom