Alarm key fob unlocking distance / Alarm Antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, it's confirmed. My ex happend to get a 100-series and we started seeing each other again. Wait, that's not it..

What is it, is that the remote and keyfob really, really sucks. Mine will ONLY unlock from certin locations around the car and ONLY if I am 6" or less from the car. Something is not right. I have replaced the battery in the fob.

Her's unlocks/locks from somewhat further away. Not far enough that I would call it "good" but it's ok. In either case, I am assuming my next step is to investigate where the antenna for the alarm is so I can see if it is broken or something. Any information on this?

The next solution would be an aftermarket system. But I am really hesitant because I HATE having a seperate alarm and key.

Help please!

I don't have a 100 but on my 80 the max distance from the 80 that I can get my key fob remote to work is maybe 5-6'.

On my non-Toyota vehicle my key fob/remote will work from a good 50' or more on the OEM alarm system! It is like night and day comprared to my 80.

I am not aware of an alarm 'antenna', at least not something that extends away from the alarm module. Maybe it is just that good solid Toyota steel that blocks the signal :)

My remote key was getting to where I had to be near the front of the LX to get it to open the doors. After replacing the battery (CR1616), it is back to about 30-50 ft range.

I know the owner's manual says something like 20 feet, but mine all work from as much as 50 feet.

Maybe I have the dreaded "RadioShack Sucks" syndrome. I'll search out a new/reputable brand battery and try again. Thanks!

ya, i put a new radiohack battery in my LX remote. I think it actually made it worse. The dealer has batteries that last well.

My 2000 100 series and 2004 4Ruuner work great. I would say at least 50' Both of my Tundras were bad. My son inlaw told me a trick. Hold the remote against the bottom of your chin. Believe it or not it did help a little on the Tundra. Of course you may get funny looks from people or end up with with cancer in your mouth after a long term:rolleyes:

John

On mine 50' is fine, even over 100' if holding the key up in the air.
But then, certain places, it doesn't work unless within 5'. Looks like some shops/buildings have some kind of interfering signals.
I find that by holding it by the keyring only, with the key as unobstructed as poss, it works the best.
Don't know where in the car the receiver is though. Maybe something obstructing at that end for you.

My 2000 100 series and 2004 4Ruuner work great. I would say at least 50' Both of my Tundras were bad. My son inlaw told me a trick. Hold the remote against the bottom of your chin. Believe it or not it did help a little on the Tundra. Of course you may get funny looks from people or end up with with cancer in your mouth after a long term:rolleyes:

John

The chin trick works... Don't ask me how I know.

Holding it under your chin actually makes your whole body act as an antenna. I used to own a couple of car audio/alarm shops in Chicago. As dumb as it feels and sounds, it works!

On mine 50' is fine, even over 100' if holding the key up in the air.
But then, certain places, it doesn't work unless within 5'. Looks like some shops/buildings have some kind of interfering signals.
I find that by holding it by the keyring only, with the key as unobstructed as poss, it works the best.
Don't know where in the car the receiver is though. Maybe something obstructing at that end for you.

Sometimes in dense urban areas, there's so many RF signals bouncing off buildings from radio broadcasts to cell signals, etc. that they tend to start cancelling each other out and interfering with one another. I used to go into downtown Chicago, and it wasn't even worth trying to make the remote work unless I had it right up on the glass. Even then it wouldn't work sometimes.

My receiver is near the driver side wheel well. My 100s work from about 50 ft. My 03 4Runner worked from up to 100 ft but was on a fob.

Replaced the battery, still crappy distance. Guess I'll have the shop look in to it a bit when I take it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom