Zeus, a VZJ95 living in Whistler, Canada. (1 Viewer)

Hello! I'm Charlie.

I have been snooping around on here for a while but thought it would make sense to get a build thread up, just to keep track of progress!

I bought a Silver 1998 VZJ95, a Japanese import, with 115,000km in Vancouver in June and have been having loads of fun with it. It's my first Toyota and my first 4x4 I've actually used for its intended purpose and living in whistler theres plenty opportunity to do that.

Some pictures from when my girlfriend and I picked him up:

IMG_7004 (1).jpg

As the car stands it was entirely stock aside from a sh*t load of jdm radio and tv equipment that didn't work, and some 17 inch FJ steelies with a questionable red pinstripe!

I had started wanting a 4x4 since discovering the maze of Forestry service roads that exist around BC and the first weekend after we got the car we decided to drive an 800km off road loop up to a town called gold bridge, taking an aesthetic road called the Highline pass. It was a great run down for the car and we came out with a good idea of what we owned :) One small mishap was the original radiator cap gave up on us and we had some coolant boil over, an easy fix.

Some pictures of that weekend:

BMC06446.jpg

BMC06137.jpg

BMC06194.jpg

BMC06344.jpg

These pictures are from back and June so theres a bit more to update but I've just seen it only allows 5 photos to be uploaded at once so i think ill use that as an excuse to do one update each night to get caught up!

Cheers!

D21FJ60

I'll get to it
I absolutely love the 90 series, I don’t know why.
You picked the best wheels, my opinion would be paint then white or light gray, but it’s your truck.
maybe I missed it but Is this gas or diesel?

Yes it has the 3.4 lump in it. I was considering a 1KZ hilux at the same time as this purchase, but due to a number of factors, the main one being the scarcity of KZ parts in canada and the car being a daily driver (for now) meant having the 5VZ parts easily accessible was a big plus.

Started off with a quick detail to get years worth of grime out of some of the nooks and crannies! Car looks good despite some fade on the LHS arches which i plan to have resprayed at some point!

• Removed side steps because I hate them
  • Removed JDM mirrors and deleted with stickers for now because i think theyre goofy
  • Added a Yakima rack
  • Added Full size AT spare wheel to replace old one that wasn't up to the job.
Since buying the rack back in July I've decided it is miserably low duty and will soon be replaced with a custom extruded aluminium rack when i find the time to have a go at making one!

IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7434.JPG
IMG_7433.JPG

IMG_7432.JPG

IMG_7430.JPG

Next on the to do list were a few more little bits and bobs.

• Refresh taillights which were horribly faded
  • Remove JDM stereo system and install a double din carplay unit (ft the missus telling me its dinner time)
  • Install boot matt cover to keep up with an outdoor lifestyle

IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7209.JPG

IMG_7304.JPG

IMG_0740.jpg

Things that are winding me up at this stage:

• Fog lights leak
  • Rear prado badge is loose
  • Front bumper hangs too low with JDM 'bush bar'
  • Need to fix JDM mirror holes!

To be continued...

I absolutely love the 90 series, I don’t know why.
You picked the best wheels, my opinion would be paint then white or light gray, but it’s your truck.
maybe I missed it but Is this gas or diesel?
Thanks! Ive actually looked at so many pictures of FJ steels powdercoated white / Grey, I think ill actually sell these and switch them for the 16 inch variety which are exactly the same when i get my new tyres!

I love steel wheels!

Always have since owning a spree of 106 Rallyes back in the UK when i was a bit younger! One of my favourites:

IMG_6413.jpg

Spent the summer finding out how much fun it can be to own a 4x4! Taking every opportunity to drive up a dodgy unmarked road to the highest point we can! It's only a matter of time before we get into some trouble me thinks. Insert 'Enjoying my Prado in BC' summer shots...

Exploring Vancouver Island with some friends:

2B84B7BD-5351-43D4-8788-F48DC3669ADE.JPG

En Route to The Okanagan with the missus, camping on hwy12:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Camping above Kelowna:

BMC06795.jpg

Looping Harrison lake the long way with friends:

BMC07022.jpg

High above lilloett Lake in mid august:

IMG_8032.jpg

I moved here to ski but having the Prado I'm realising how much more there is to do once you can leave the beaten path, its awesome!

It's the end of the summer now and Nina and I are planning to go away on a big trip to Vancouver island exploring. We've got a double bed sized memory foam mattress in the back which creates a perfect bed with all the seats down and is literally our new favourite place to sleep. Plan is to spend 12 days on the island exploring some modest trails and visiting tofino and the north of the island.

few more silly little jobs at this point:

• As well as the front bumper, the exhaust and fog light keep scraping the floor, I've removed the fog light and plan to cut the exhaust off at a slight angle until the lift kit is on there.
  • Replaced the loose Prado badge with one that just says Land cruiser, got a good deal.
  • Also got given a toyota badge which i replaced the JDM 'TX' badge with, wasnt for me. back end looks cleaner now.
  • Fitted some traction boards after a slightly stuck incident, got them on the back for now using spare wheel hole to avoid bringing the dirt inside after use.
  • Still have JDM holes *sigh*
Traction board + Old badges + Fog light

IMG_BA100169A8E9-1.jpeg

New badges + Deleted Fog light

IMG_8141.JPG

DSC07114.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom