York/AC for on-board air?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have any 200-series owners gone down the path of using a York (or other AC) compressor for their on-board air?

I think I've gone full circle on reading up on all of the OBA options, from small (MV50, Viair 88P), medium (Viair 300/400P, MV90) to large (Puma) and CO2, and then York. York performance looks impressive, and lots of folks do it on Jeeps and Fords, but I haven't seen anyone doing it on a 200. Looking under my hood, I can't see how it could be done. Before I cross this option off the list, I wanted to see if anyone here had either done it, or looked at it and came to the same conclusion of 'no go'.

I'm not a heavy user by any stretch, but the convenience (once installed), zero heat issues, performance/$, and my impatient passengers had me looking into it.
Thanks,
DN

Why not ARB?

York used to be really popular on 4 liter Jeeps back in the 90s when people decided they didn't need their AC any more and preferred to use that spot to run an air compressor. If it's even possible at all to retrofit it to the 200, the cost, complexity, custom work etc would never even be close to worth it. Don't over complicate it - just go ARB or one of the other options you listed. The ARB dual in particular is incredibly fast and solid.

Back in the day (90's) I had a York on my Defender 90. They are sort of a pain. They require a oil fill to lube the piston, that one has to top off pretty much before every trip and after hard use, and then they need oil filtration to remove the oil from the air. I ran into problems with the clutch occasionally. And, they require custom engine mounting modifications and belt modifications. Modern engines aren't as flexible in regard to either modification as older ones. They do have great volume flow. I researched Yorks a bit when building up my latest trucks and didn't see much in the way of advancements since the 90s.

When building up my RAM 3500 and Jeep JK (the LC is still stock) I was a bit skeptical about electrical compressors. The RAM 3500 ended up with one of the dual ARB compressors for the lockers. I've actually been pretty impressed with it. I haven't aired down really low to check its volume flow. But it certainly is more than enough to add 20 PSI to all four 37 in tires when I need to. Haven't experienced any issues with over heating like the older electrical compressors were prone to do either. I'd rate it as fine for expedition use. Maybe not the right thing for a more pure rock crawling rig where one is airing up very large tires from 5 PSI.

With my Jeep I went with a Power Tank CO2 system. It is pretty amazing for non-expedition use. At the end of a run I've filled my Jeep's 37s from something less than 10 PSI to full, another Jeeps 4 tires, and helped a guy whose electrical compressor overheated, finish his fill off. The guy with the overheated compressor started filling at the same time I had. Only issue with the Power Tank it is that it has to be taken in to refill. So on a longer multi-day trip where one is stringing together off-road sections with highway sections, it would be less than ideal.

Thanks for the input McGaskins and RHLLC. Your experiences sound similar to what I saw -- lots of older 4x4s (with empty engine bays!) did it, but it looked like it just wasn't practical on a 200. McGaskins, my core skill is over-complicating things, so your advice is very needed! RHLLC, thanks for sharing your real-world user experiences about the hassle and headaches that come with the Yorks, and your experience with the CO2. The CO2 could be a good fit for my types of use, but I was really surprised by the $450+ cost of the Power Tank system.

I can't believe I left ARB off the list! Of course I read up on ARB -- it is the benchmark for a reason -- and shied away from it mostly because of the cost premium, as well as decent number of reports that they weren't that reliable, had to be rebuilt, etc. Now, that experience seemed to mainly come from people who had bought a Puma, so I don't know how statistically valid it is. I have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome!) and tend to swing between trying to get by with the cheapest solution possible, and wanting the best (often most expensive!) option ("cry once" + "toys are cool")! But I'll take another look at the dual ARB and the CO2 options.

I have the Viair 450P in the Land Cruiser and LX, and I have the ARB twin hard mounted in the Tacoma. The ARB wins hands down for speed and simplicity (it's wired to an Spod and has lines from the compressor running to quick disconnects to the front and rear bumpers to make connections fast and easy), and from getting out of the truck to being finished airing up the Tacoma from 20 psi to 38 psi takes just barely over 5 mins. I've seen a few reports complain about the earlier single compressor for lack of speed airing up tires (of course it's going to be slow) and some reports of having to rebuild older units, but I haven't seen much if any chatter regarding the same issues with the most recent dual. It's worth the money and is the gold standard for electric compressors.

Another vote for the ARB twin.

When airing up in groups, I’m usually done in half the time of most other externals...unless I’m distracted pulling frozen goodies out of my fridge when I should be airing up. :hillbilly: This despite the fact I’m running wide 35’s and have more volume to fill.

The biggest up-side? You will air down more often, because it is so much less time consuming. Passenger patience is minimally impacted, and if anything...they appreciate it more because I more readily air down even just for comfort’s sake—knowing that airing up will be quick.

The only thing I might like to add at some point is a rear valve attachment option...which would make it even faster with no need to even open the hood.
-But that’s getting really lazy. :)

Anyway... -Big thumbs up on the ARB twin.

Last edited:
The twin takes but 1:40 to take a 33 from 19 to 44 psig. All four are done in less that 10 minutes including getting the hose and chuck out and put away.

Just as a comparison, I was able to do all four of mine plus two 33s on another vehicle. That guy was running the ol' faithful MV-50 and was only able to air up two in the same amount of time.

Thanks for the added feedback on the ARB twin. Good point about the earlier vs. more recent editions. If I do OBA, I would definitely want to feed 2 hoses - either front/rear or left/right, just because it's cooler to make it more convenient. I moved down to 33's so I expect I have something similar to Oregon's experience.

Both the ARB twin and the SuperTanks are about $500 though. I like the 'no install' and removable aspect of the CO2 (plus speed), but I also like the hidden-away aspect of the ARB (plus no refills). I don't mind the price tags if a) it's quality and b) I'll get enough use out of it to justify it. (A) is a clear yes, but (B) is less clear for me ("so why were you thinking of a @#$% York?" I don't know, don't judge me). But that one I'll have to answer for myself.

If you need to run air TOOLS... Poeer tank.

If not?

ARB twin.

I have sometimes brought along a small external if a driving pal has no air at all...but it is rare circumstance that would prevent airing up a buddy with the ARB (or other built-in).

I agree with @TonyP .

PowerTank (or equivalent) takes up 6x the space of a Viair. Plus, having a big bottle of compressed gas in your vehicle while you're wheeling gives me the willys. No need to reinvent the wheel, ARB hard mounted or Viair portable. Done and done.
And it is a big heavy item in the cargo bay that will wreak havoc if you get in a wreck in the highway and it gets loose.

Well crap, now I am jonesing for the ARB twin CKMTA12. Thanks a lot!:D

I guess I should go ahead and get the Slee bracket ($95).

Three questions:
  1. I don't have plans for lockers or air tank any time soon, so skip the manifold?
  2. To run 2 lines (left/right or front/rear) would I just insert a T-fitting wherever I want to split the hose? Or should I just get the ARB Tire Inflation Kit (171302 $35) since it includes a T, the hose, tire chuck, and their "dust free air chuck". Not sure there's special sauce in there, and I already have a good hose.
  3. It looks like the compressor uses 1/4NPT, but does this thing have any odd threads / fittings I need to know about? The accessories using weird fittings (1/8BSPP, JIC4) look like they just apply to (and come with) the manifold and ARB's lockers.

double-post

My work here is done ;)

Well crap, now I am jonesing for the ARB twin CKMTA12. Thanks a lot!:D

I guess I should go ahead and get the Slee bracket ($95).

Three questions:
  1. I don't have plans for lockers or air tank any time soon, so skip the manifold?
  2. To run 2 lines (left/right or front/rear) would I just insert a T-fitting wherever I want to split the hose? Or should I just get the ARB Tire Inflation Kit (171302 $35) since it includes a T, the hose, tire chuck, and their "dust free air chuck". Not sure there's special sauce in there, and I already have a good hose.
  3. It looks like the compressor uses 1/4NPT, but does this thing have any odd threads / fittings I need to know about? The accessories using weird fittings (1/8BSPP, JIC4) look like they just apply to (and come with) the manifold and ARB's lockers.

1) You can. However, you'll have to removed the compressor and mount if you ever want to add it later.

2) I come off a single port in the front with my coiled hose. Not sure there would be much gain in additional ports. I can reach all parts of the truck. YMMV.

2) Yes, 1/4" NPT. The Slee instructions show the ARB hose with the elbows offset. My hose came with both elbows pointing the same direction. In talking with Slee, they say you can rotate the ARB hose fitting, but mine appears to be crimped on at the factory. Regardless, my solution was to run a compressor drain hose (Husky brand). It is more flexible than the ARB and the male elbow nests perfectly at the top:

IMG_3766.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom