Yet another rear bumper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC_Hamma said:
You did your homework & executed it to perfection. It looks well designed & beefy enough to take hits from rocks. I know that bumper took allota time to fab up. You could put some LC bumper suppliers outta work with that work of art. Nice craftsmanship dude!

Wow thanks man!

But really, I'm just a amateur metalsmith with basic tools here. And lucky to have friends with better tools and others with good advice. My hat is off to all the guys out there that do this sort of thing for a living. It's hard work! :cheers:

My best laid plans (like all plans) got reworked a bit during the process. Plus I'm just starting to get the feel for the "real" welder I got last year. This was my 1st big project with it. When I use it right, it actually looks like I know what I'm doing.

I guess time and thrashing will tell if I've made it worthy of Cruiser durability.

Thanks again for the comments

Cdaniel-

Great build bro! Looks clean, how many hours do you think you have into that thing so far...

and as far as getting the steel, where do you guys source that kind of tubing? Supply houses or what?

Again, looks great, and if you want to make a "better" one with your mistakes, I could buy that one off you :)

Rezarf <><

Nice bumper, good design! Looks familiar. ;)

carrier_open.jpg

REZARF said:
Cdaniel-

Great build bro! Looks clean, how many hours do you think you have into that thing so far...

and as far as getting the steel, where do you guys source that kind of tubing? Supply houses or what?

Again, looks great, and if you want to make a "better" one with your mistakes, I could buy that one off you :)

Rezarf <><

I couldn't say how much time, a few weekends worth I guess.
I get the metal from a local steel supplier, Capitol Metals. There are others a little cheaper locally (Davis Salvage) but I don't speak good enough spanish to get good service and it's dangerous for you and your vehicle in there. :eek:

I found available standard sizes from http://ryersontull.com/

cruisergreen said:
Nice bumper, good design! Looks familiar. ;)

Now see there, that's a better idea! :idea: It looks like you bolted right to the rear crossmember. I like that, but I don't think I could have worked in the receiver instead of the pintle. Unless I blew a hole right through the frame.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that yet.

That's one hell of a hinge too.

Cliff, nice work there. The actual tire carrier looks like a stock tube-style carrier, but so does the cooler carrier on the passenger side. Did you have to mod that to get it to swing correctly? I understand you had to mod it to hold the carrier, just wondered about the hinge.
And did you reinforce the tub where it bolts? Could you post a pic of the inside of the tub?

Thanks,

Ed

Degnol said:
Cliff, nice work there. The actual tire carrier looks like a stock tube-style carrier, but so does the cooler carrier on the passenger side. Did you have to mod that to get it to swing correctly? I understand you had to mod it to hold the carrier, just wondered about the hinge.
And did you reinforce the tub where it bolts? Could you post a pic of the inside of the tub?

Thanks,

Ed
Stock tube carriers they are indeed. The hinges can pivot 360 degrees. I took them apart for powdercoating and some new bushings. I made a backing plate for the upper inside. Not much more than a really big washer, about .060 thick. The bottom part of the tub is reinforced there already. Not much weight in the cooler rack anyway. And when it's closed the rest supports some weight too. It's been trail tested for several years now, no problems.
More rack photos here....

hingeplatesmall.JPG

Cdaniel said:
Now see there, that's a better idea! :idea: It looks like you bolted right to the rear crossmember. I like that, but I don't think I could have worked in the receiver instead of the pintle. Unless I blew a hole right through the frame.

12 1/2" grade 8 through the frame. :D Yeah, it wouldn't have worked it I'd wanted a reciever.

Cdaniel said:
That's one hell of a hinge too.

Cruiser spindle. :cool:

cruisergreen said:
12 1/2" grade 8 through the frame. :D Yeah, it wouldn't have worked it I'd wanted a reciever.

Cruiser spindle. :cool:

Is that a hub on top to serve as a swingout lock?

REZARF said:
Cdaniel-

Rezarf <><
A good source of metals on the net is
http://allmetalsinc.com/products.html
the prices are fair and the shipping also I used to get steel from metalsdepot.com the prices are a bit lower when you buy lrger quantity but they get you on the shipping... nothing like the local scrapyard to save big $$$

Yes you could of just bolted one of the recievers to the bumper, just like he did the pintle. I have a reciever that just bolts to the stock 4 bolt pattern in the crossmember.

later

Ryan

Cdaniel said:
Is that a hub on top to serve as a swingout lock?

Yeah, it locks closed and anywhere open. It's pretty nice, but I used a coarse spline hub so I had to use an old Warn locking hub on there. It takes almost a full turn to lock it. It would have been nice to have an aisin or other that only takes a 1/4 turn.

Finished!

So, when we last left the shop Cliffy was worried that the powder coaters wouldn't make the deadline for his 4th of July trip to the pines. :confused:

He was right. :crybaby:

He had to go bumperless. But finally the finished product is installed. Ready for the big show in Gunnison Colorado (MHJC All-4-Fun) at the end of the month.

Ready for the final wrestle lift into place
done2small.jpg

Too clean, must get dirty...
done4small.jpg

Latch mods in place
done5small.jpg

done1small.jpg

desertdude said:
Super slick! Is that a license plate cover for stealth mode?

Just a little photoshop type work to help prevent the losers in the world from finding my toys. :D

cliff, how much did it cost you to get the bumper powder coated?

milesstarkey said:
cliff, how much did it cost you to get the bumper powder coated?
My records indicate.........

$47.92 for the bumper and 3 small pieces for the carrier latches.

Pretty resonable considering the durability factor.

Nice bumper build. I'm about to do mine.
How have you managing water out of the light pockets? I didn't seen any drain holes. Accumulated water or mud can start rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom