Yaesu Microphone Cord Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone had this type of issue with their Yaesu microphone cords?
C6566093-58FA-4F82-8911-B030B789219E.jpeg
2805FE1E-F1E5-48AA-B16E-D4D0502212B9.jpeg

Thats a new one on me. How old is the mic? I know if you open them up you might be able to replace/resolder the cables.

The mic cord on my trusty old FT-2800 started fraying just at the end, where it plugs into the radio when it was about 10 years old. Mic still worked fine. I taped it up once or twice but got tired of it and just bought a new mic.

Thats a new one on me. How old is the mic? I know if you open them up you might be able to replace/resolder the cables.
Approximately 8 years old. It still works fine but I’m replacing it anyway. The radio is mounted in an overhead console and for the most part the chord hasn’t been subjected to sunlight.

The mic cords on my FT8800 AND FT7800 are coming apart.
To be fair, they're both 16 years old and have lived their lives in land cruisers...

I am having the same issue and was trying to figure out if I can work with what I got but I don't think that's going to be easy so I ordered two replacement cords from the eBay link above!

I was hoping to be able to heat shrink this part of the cable but that's a no-go. Other than using an electrical tape, I'm not sure how else to go about fortifying this area of the court. My other radio cable is doing the same thing so this must be a thing!

20221130_060828.jpg

I bucked up for new replacement Yaesu mics for my 7800 and 8800 as I still really like those radios.
For fun I ordered one of the $10 cables off eBay. It arrived today and I swapped it out.

Works just fine. The cable is longer, strangely the rj45(?) plug that plugs into the head is almost twice as long as the stock one, the cable coils are bigger and is noticeably stiffer in use.

But $10 and 2 minutes to replace is a win. Happy to have a functional spare now.

Yup, same thing on my 7800 (on both sides of the cable) after 10 or 15 yrs.
I went the expensive complicated but (to me) interesting route: got some RJ11 (IIRC) connectors and a tool, so will explore that new black hole shortly.

I went a different route then the two of you 😁 I bought only the cable and reuse the old mic. The RJ45 was already attached to the replacement cable from eBay. So far so good and I may just continue to go this route as the cables get worn out.

Yes, I imagine that the OEM yaesu mike is better than the generic cheap chinese ones. I'd rather keep the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom