Wrong Water Pump Gasket with Aisin WPT-028? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogcruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I was in a bit of a pickle with my ‘84 FJ60 and needed to get my water pump replaced while away from home. @cruisermatt was kind enough to consult me through the process. I ordered the Aisin WPT-028 from rock auto and had a local mechanic install it. He said he didn’t have the gasket and had to order one. I told him there was one in the box (I confirmed this prior to giving it to him) and sent him a photo to show the gasket that was in there. He said the one in the photo is wrong, it fits a different type of setup. anyone have experience with the gasket that comes with the Aisin water pump?

Apologies if this info exists in another thread.

E228E498-18A2-483D-BD7A-59DB8CD96656.png

he should double check the gasket between the pump and backing plate, there have been cases where it leaks from the factory there.

Hi, So I just read this. After I have installEd the new pump 3 times! Sh.....t. So are we now supposed to open the new pumps up and install the gasket inside too ? I wondered why the da... thing keeps leaking. Mike

I don't know why the backing plate gasket comes separate with pump when the backing plate gasket is already installed in the pump.
Probably a screw up, and it is supposed to come with the pump to block gasket.

This new one from Manafre is defective leaks badly. Sent them an email for a replacement,hoping it’s soon. Mike

Hi, Hands off to Man a fre. After installing a pump I bought from them( Aisin) 3 times and it leaking due to a bad pump. I contacted them and they sent me a new pump with no problems . Good service . I have not installed the pump yet due to severe cold. Mike

I don't know why the backing plate gasket comes separate with pump when the backing plate gasket is already installed in the pump.
Probably a screw up, and it is supposed to come with the pump to block gasket.
Could be that sometimes the gasket gets mangled in shipping. My 5 speed had a gasket between the spacer and trans. I almost used it for installation but realized it was soaked in oil and torn at the bottom.

The water pump I installed this summer had a gasket installed in the pump as well as a replacement and the pump to block gasket. Funny enough the pump to block gasket was mangled and the others were fine.
Who knows?

I ran into this same confusion back in 2017 when I installed a new AISIN pump from RockAuto. Been this way for awhile. Took me a minute to figure it out. @Onur was still in the parts game at the time and he got me straightened out with an OEM pump to block gasket. I rolled with the backing plate gasket that was installed on the pump when I got it and its worked fine for me. Still never understood why they include a gasket when one is installed. Maybe since I think the pump is designed to be serviceable they give you a gasket to service it down the road. Seems counter to selling pumps. Who knows.

I ran into this same confusion back in 2017 when I installed a new AISIN pump from RockAuto. Been this way for awhile. Took me a minute to figure it out. @Onur was still in the parts game at the time and he got me straightened out with an OEM pump to block gasket. I rolled with the backing plate gasket that was installed on the pump when I got it and its worked fine for me. Still never understood why they include a gasket when one is installed.
I think the one that is installed is intended to be temporary for shipping to prevent the mating surfaces of the backing plate and pump housing from damaging each other. They do it on the 5 speed extension spacer so my logic leads me to believe it’s a temporary thing. But you’d think they would put instructions and explanations inside the packaging.

I think the one that is installed is intended to be temporary for shipping to prevent the mating surfaces of the backing plate and pump housing from damaging each other.

Well if true, then the shipping gasket is either just as good as the normal gasket, or I have violated rule #1 in your sig line and just been lucky up to this point. :doh: It doesn't appear to leak anywhere so still not sure what the deal is. Would be nice if someone who knows definitely could chime in.

Well if true, then the shipping gasket is either just as good as the normal gasket, or I have violated rule #1 in your sig line and just been lucky up to this point. :doh: It doesn't appear to leak anywhere so still not sure what the deal is. Would be nice if someone who knows definitely could chime in.
I mean, I ran the preinstalled gasket too like everyone else... sooooo....
the first time I replaced the pump I put rtv on all mating surfaces and had leaks almost immediately. Second time I ran everything dry and it’s been great so far.

the first time I replaced the pump I put rtv on all mating surfaces and had leaks almost immediately. Second time I ran everything dry and it’s been great so far.
I ran a thin layer of cooling system RTV on both sides of the Toyota gasket. It wasn't the FIPG from Toyota but I think some kind of Permatex stuff. I think maybe this:

Amazon product ASIN B0007TQW60

Bolted her up and so far good to go. I used the Toyota FIPG on my oil pan and it seems much more rubbery. Seems to set up kinda like that silly putty you used to get years ago. The front of the pan leaks a bit but whatevs. That's a conversation for a different thread.

You might be right the gasket they put on there is a shipping gasket. Would be great to round out this thread to confirm if that's true or not. The Toyota manual shows how to actually repair the water pump and re-use it, which I still think is cool as all get out in this day and age of throw away. I assume the AISIN ones can be repaired the same way today, but am not sure on that. Maybe the parts to do so are no longer available. I don't recall seeing a thread on here where someone went through the trouble. Just cool at one point repairing a water pump was an option back in the day.

I ran a thin layer of cooling system RTV on both side of the Toyota gasket. It wasn't the FIPG from Toyota but I think some kind of Permatex stuff. I think maybe this:

Amazon product ASIN B0007TQW60

Bolted her up and so far good to go. I used the Toyota FIPG on my oil pan and it seems much more rubbery. Seems to set up kinda like that silly putty you used to get years ago. The front of the pan leaks a bit but whatevs. That's a conversation for a different thread.

You might be right the gasket they put on there is a shipping gasket. Would be great to round out this thread to confirm if that's true or not. The Toyota manual shows how to actually repair the water pump and re-use it, which I still think is cool as all get out in this day and age of throw away. I assume the AISIN ones can be repaired the same way today, but am not sure on that. Maybe the parts to do so are no longer available. I don't recall seeing a thread on here where someone went through the trouble. Just cool at one point repairing a water pump was an option back in the day.
People used to rebuild alternators and starters regularly back in the day. Now the professional reman units are just cheap enough for many of us to justify the cost of not doing it ourselves. I have the kit for my steering pump, gear box, starter, and alternator. But thinking about all the time involved is making me wonder if I should just buy remanufactured units and be done with it all in a single weekend.

Ok so.. I took the new off again . The last time I made my own gasket. Tried to remove it and it was hard to pull off sealed perfectly. The leak def is coming from the factory installed gasket. Going to install this new one Man a fre sent me. Really have no faith it will seal properly. My gaskets are holding with out sealant. Philips screws on back of pump are tight. This pump arrived with no inside factory gasket or new bolts. If your supposed to replace the inside gasket , it didn’t come with one. Mike

Last edited:
Hi, Anyone gone beyond 27 foot lbs to torque it down ? Mike

Hi, It was a bad pump, The factory inside gasket was defective in some way or plate was bent ......I’m getting really good at putting in water pumps. No sealant was used. I kept adding on to this post because I hate posts that don’t have a conclusion. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom