Wrench Day Sunday 31st (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phulcrum

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Frank and I are going to be swapping the front axle of his 60 and could use some hands. Hoping to limit the attendance to about 3-4 people due to the Rona.
Start at 9am.

There AF.

I might have been able to make this if not for rona. If you don't mind I have a few questions. I have a '64 fj40 that could use an axle upgrade, so, what's he doing with the old axle? Is it for sale? Is it even rebuildable?
Thanks
Mike

Mike,

So the old axle that is presently in my truck will end up holding up the front end of the donor in the near term post swap.

Presently the axle in my truck has stock 3.7 gearing, play in the pinion bearing, and the knuckles need a rebuilding. The brake pads have some life left but are more than 50% worn. It also has the 4 piston 4runner caliper upgrade. One might get lucky and just retorque the pinion to preload to take care of the play. I need the 4.56's from the donor for my 35's so am swapping in the entire axle. The axle housing is fine.

If you are interested in the axle let us know.

Frank

Let me do a little more research on what it will take to make this axle work with my truck and I will get back to you. Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry one more question to help my research, what year is the 60 that the axle is out of?

It's an 84, first year of the vehicle model.

Nice.... lucky parts truck!

Verified the rear axle we swapped into my truck has a Detroit style click bang pop locker.

Verified the front axle also has a locker.

rinse, repeat. we'll be wrenching again this coming weekend. details TBD.

Wrenching again this Sunday if anyone is interested.

We can do both. I have done many driveway alignments with a square and string.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom