Wouldyou buy a house in Butte? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have asked this before but i am back on this kick. Looking for a affordable house. Just my wife and I, no kids and dont care about schools. We reLly like Helena which I know isnt "expensive" but it ain't cheap. We looked atcrappy old Butte a year ago and i left thinking no way. But i have to admit i thick i was looking at trash $150,000 houses in crap neighborhoods. I justlooked on Zillow and even the 250-300 range gets a good little house there. They also look likethey are a little more on the edge of town where you arnt touching the neighborhoods house. Maybe it would be a nicer neighborhood then i saw in the past.

I know Butte kind of sucks but it is actually kind of a good central geographic location.

Any thoughts? Am i just trying to convince my self "it wont be that bad" to live in a superfund dump?

i'd rather drive to butte to shop than go to bozeman. Sam used to play music with a bunch of guys from butte and anaconda so we spent a lot of time over there. Sadly butte is becoming more civilized than it used to be but it still is better than anyother city in mt. it's very community orientated, lot's of volunteer projects. people are kinda outspoken and will inform you when you're an idiot. like anyplace there are areas i don't think i'd want to buy a place in. lot's of things to do there. we get over there to watch the guys play yet, and do a lot of offroading in that area. between butte and helena, for me there's no question. Butte, America

I would. I love Butte, my family is 4th generation Butte miners and the people there are great. Very friendly and deeply connected to Montana especially the larger rooted families. Personally, I would live more out of town there, lots of cool homes on the old pass between Whitehall. I don't have anything to say bad about it except a few Butte rat kids occasionally cause trouble but that's everywhere. At 45, I have lived very rural most of my life and the closest I have ever lived to Butte was in Clancy and absolutely loved it. I bought my house there in 2017 on two acres that backed to FS for 165k and regret selling it. The elk would drop their sheds in my yard. Same goes for Helena, live out country a bit.

Thanks guys. Sounds like i should drive through it again and see how the vibe feels to me. I am a little strange about the type of people i want to live around in my community. Not to sound clique but I tend to be conservative with a heavy lean torwards "freedom" and staying the hell out of other peoples buisness. I dont reall see eye to eye with many liberals except on a frew topics.

But that being said i really like living with a mixture of people. I lived in Asheville NC and it was super liberal artsy kids that drove me crazy. But I have also lived places that are super conservative where people bad mouth anyone who has a "different" lifestyle.

I enjoy a little balance. It keeps me in check and keeps me questioning my own thoughts. Its good to hear some different views on things occasionally.

So far Helena has been pretty good in my limited experience in that regard. Lots of regular working class Montana people. People like to hunt, fish ride dirt bikes and so on. But you also have a little bit of an art community. Just enough to keep me from becoming a crotchety old man hording guns and ammo preparing for end of days.

One type of people I would be happy to never see again in my life are rich Kalifornians that want to change everything to their way. No love there!

I will take a look at Butte with a open mind again.

As a Real Estate Broker, I work with many clients that are looking in Helena and Butte (SW MT in general). You might want to explore Whitehall. It's a nice little town and more than a few of my clients have moved there. Relatively easy to get to Butte, Helena, and Bozeman from there. Feel free to bounce some questions my way. Happy to help!

Saul

I lived in Butte over 20 years ago and my wife worked in Anaconda. There are some great tried and true Montanans there but as everyone knows it has its unique culture. If I had to go back, I would probably try to move to the Anaconda area as I like smaller towns. You might give that some consideration.

I probably would just because its so affordable but my wife vetoed it years ago. Agree with the previous post about Anaconda though, great little town and also very affordable.

Dillon Shill here,

I've lived in Dillon for 8 years, part and full time, as well as growing up in Bozeman and Helena.

Dillon is truly a Bozeman light experience, lots of things to do, amazing outdoor access.

Helena is awesome too, eventually it will be were we gravitate back towards.

Sheridan is a great little town too.

Butte of 2024 is amazing compared to even 2020, really turning a corner.

The wife and I stopped at a grocery store in Butte recently. To their credit is was saint patrick's day weekend. That said, No, I absolutely would not buy a house in Butte. It reminds me of the Detroit suburbs, but not Bloomfield Hills or Birmingham; more like Delray or Inkster. It looks like a place that was productive and prosperous in the past, but that everyone who remembers that time has long since moved away or died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom