Wiring help for OEM turn signal switch and dimmer switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been studying @Coolerman's wiring diagram for '72 FJ40s and I see that the following wires on the turn signal switch connect:

Green Yellow = Right Rear
Green Yellow = Front Rear
Green Orange = Front Left
Green Orange = Front Right

The final green wire...I can't make out on his diagram if that is a B or what? It appears to go to the light switch itself, so would that be a power switch? I have a Kwik Wire harness and am looking for which wire from that harness connects there.

Concerning the dimmer switch, it has three connections. I assume the high beam, low beam, and power are the three connections here, but which goes where? I have included screenshots of the switch from @Coolerman's diagram.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 6.22.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 6.31.27 PM.png

I have been studying @Coolerman's wiring diagram for '72 FJ40s and I see that the following wires on the turn signal switch connect:

Green Yellow = Right Rear
Green Yellow = Front Rear
Green Orange = Front Left
Green Orange = Front Right

The final green wire...I can't make out on his diagram if that is a B or what? It appears to go to the light switch itself, so would that be a power switch? I have a Kwik Wire harness and am looking for which wire from that harness connects there.
GY goes to Rear Right and Front Right
GO goes to Rear Left and Front Left
G goes to the B Terminal

I have never heard of a Kwik Wire harness, so cannot advise how to hook that up.

Concerning the dimmer switch, it has three connections. I assume the high beam, low beam, and power are the three connections here, but which goes where? I have included screenshots of the switch from @Coolerman's diagram.
The "power" comes from the light switch on a RG wire that connects to the B Terminal.
The Hi Beams are connected to Terminal 1 with the RY wire.
The Low Beams are connected to Terminal 2 with the RG wire.

A simple continuity test will tell which terminal on the dimmer is for hot.

No no no... The drawing is labeled wrong...
The RW wire connects to the B terminal. The RW wire comes from the head light switch and has power when the head light switch is pulled to the second position or all the way out.
It really does not matter to which terminal, 1 or 2, the RG and RY wires connect. The dimmer switch is just a "flip flop" switch.

No no no... The drawing is labeled wrong...
The RW wire connects to the B terminal. The RW wire comes from the head light switch and has power when the head light switch is pulled to the second position or all the way out.
It really does not matter to which terminal, 1 or 2, the RG and RY wires connect. The dimmer switch is just a "flip flop" switch.
Mark...I will always defer to your experience but the three wiring diagrams I have for 72 FJ40s show RG so that is what I went with. Thanks for the heads up and corrections!!

I just looked at the 72-73 schematic from the Haynes manual, and it did show the dimmer switch labeling incorrectly. The schematic has been corrected and I put the corrected schematic on my web site if you want to download it.

Haynes1973FJ40W.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom