Wiper Motor Problem (resolved) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy New Year All.
I have a 66,FJ-45 with all kinds of year discrepancies. A few weeks ago my wipers went out while driving in the rain. With them I also lost directional's and the fan motor for my vintage air setup.
I traced the short to the wiper motor, which is a 75-80 LHD. When I opened up the motor gear plate I found two of the three contacts worn down and one worn one contacting the only full one left. My first thought was to replace the worn contacts. As I did I realized one of them is a ground and all of them contact a metal plate so there was no way it should work. After putting it all back together I still had a dead short. I disconnected the ground and then the middle contact before getting it to work without blowing the fuse. It appears my motor has been altered to work with the setup that it was not made for.
The switch I have is a pancake dial with four contact points. I cant find it in anything in a pre 69 search and later years look nothing like it.
Does anyone have or know of this switch? (pic added at the bottom) Is it even Toyota?
I'm looking for wiring diagrams (not schematics) for both 64-69 & 75-80.

Regards.

image3.jpeg
IMG_2841.JPG
IMG_2948.JPG

Last edited:
the 75-80 wiper motor should have constant positive power, the stock wiper switch, switches the ground to make the wiper motor work, park, low and hi
the stock 66 had a 1 speed dual motors, park and on using the rotary switch

the switch shown is not a stock 66 switch and the wires are not from a stock harness
the dash does not look 66 either

Should add the wiper has as ground that always makes except for one spot. That is why when the wiper switch is turned off the wipers will continue to run until it hit the open ground where the wipers park. If the was there they would stop where ever there are at when the switch is turned off.

the 75-80 wiper motor should have constant positive power, the stock wiper switch, switches the ground to make the wiper motor work, park, low and hi
the stock 66 had a 1 speed dual motors, park and on using the rotary switch

the switch shown is not a stock 66 switch and the wires are not from a stock harness
the dash does not look 66 either
I thought I was purchasing a frame up restore but instead I bought an education..
Yes, power heads direct to gear plate and to the brushes on the motor from the fuse box, then back through the switch to ground.
One of the switch leads (Brown) goes from the gear plate back to the switch. probably for parking.

Still wondering what switch I have?
No identifiable markings.
They seem to be labeled correctly on the switch but will not hold the circuit when connected.
Red lead is the ground.
Brown comes from the gear plate. (currently disconnected along with motor/bond)
Green and Yellow come from the brushes on the motor. (high and low speed)

IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG
IMG_2955.JPG

Last edited:
the original rotary switch only had 3 places for wires and the had a post that had a screw in the end to capture the bare wire when it went thru the post.

the wiring you show going to your switch looks like 4 wire flat trailer wire.
does one of them go to ground and the other 3 go to the wiper motor?
4 wires at the wiper motor, 1 hot, 1 park ground, 1 low speed ground, 1 high speed ground

the original rotary switch only had 3 places for wires and the had a post that had a screw in the end to capture the bare wire when it went thru the post.

the wiring you show going to your switch looks like 4 wire flat trailer wire.
does one of them go to ground and the other 3 go to the wiper motor?
4 wires at the wiper motor, 1 hot, 1 park ground, 1 low speed ground, 1 high speed ground
Yes, the Red wire goes to ground.

I think this is correct.
4 wires at the plug on the wiper motor:
blue-positive power
blue/white-park ground
blue/red-low speed ground
blue/black-high speed ground

blue/white and blue/red go directly to the motor

3 wire bar:
black, closest to the motor, goes to a screw on housing
blue/black is the middle
blue is away from the motor and then continues on to the motor

I think the blue/white is just grounded when switch is off to park wipers

the back of your switch has L, H, and P, most likely for low speed and high speed and park

I think this is correct.
blue-positive power
blue/white-park ground

3 wire bar:
blue/black is the middle

the back of your switch has L, H, and P, most likely for low speed and high speed and park
Correct.
Which is what I have at the motor but with different wire colors at the switch.
I have High Low and Off. It just stops where ever it's turned off, but it has always run that way.
My guess is they cut the contacts short to jump out the parking circuit because the switch wasn't comparable.
What was left made contact and shorted out over time.
So my replacing the contacts still left me with an incompatible switch.
Once I recreated what they had, by disconnecting the ground and return in the parking circuit, it worked again.
I'm presuming there are no other components that are in the circuit.
All speculation until the correct switch is installed.
I still need to find a wire diagram instead of a schematic.

Last edited:
I think this is correct.
blue-positive power
blue/white-park ground

3 wire bar:
blue/black is the middle

My new switch came today.
The switch didn't come with a set nut, part# 90984-01007.
It's not discontinued so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Part# 84652-27010 is the switch I ordered because it was pared with my wiper motor. It's a 6 wire switch that also activates the washer motor.
So now it becomes a question of wire connections. I could just pair my color codes; blue/white to blue/white and so on but things are never that simple.
The truck didn't have a washer setup when I got it.

A continuity test on the switch in all it's positions has the;
Black as the common
White/black for a bond to the switch housing
Blue/black for low speed
Blue/brown for high speed
Blue/yellow and Blue/white do not have continuity to Black or any other contact in any switch position and there is no Blue/red.
The Blue/yellow could be the 'OUT' to the washer motor and then the Blue/red at the wiper motor the 'IN' from the washer motor but there is no power feed at the switch and the aftermarket washer I installed has it's own + and -.
I'm still looking for a diagram that can show me where the washer gets spliced in and if I can make it work without one.

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

Last edited:
New motor, New switch, Exact wiring but it still wasn't working.
Bench tested both the rebuilt motor and the new one, with the new switch.
The wire colors on the switch and the motor match up and I was able to find a wire diagram with the same color code for the wire.
Good news is I did a good job on the old motor, it works exactly the same as the New motor.
Bad news is I still didn't work correctly.
Both motors work in the High positions and even park when turned off. but wouldn't work in the Low position and if left there any amount of time the fuse pops. I have also lost fuses putting the switch from High through Low to Park several times.
So I swapped the wire that was activating the park movement and the one designated for the low speed (crossed the Blue/Back and Blue/White) to see if I could get the low speed to work, and it worked like a charm in all positions. (If you have purchased a new switch this is something to be aware of.)
After that I moved on to the install and the fuse blew right away.
I replaces the wires that ran from the switch to the motor and isolated a new feed from the accessory side on the fuse block to the motor. I even ran my ground straight from the negative terminal on the battery but it is still shorting the circuit when the motor is mounted to the windshield frame.
When I remove the motor from the frame the motor the circuit holds and I have Hi and Lo but I don't have park.

A few days later I went back at it, disconnecting leads and blowing fuses, till I disconnected the bond wire on the outside of the motor. then, as with the first install I tried, the fuse held and the motor ran in low and Hi but with no park. Running the system, I touched the bond wire to the frame and the fuse blew again. This I expected and was just reproving where I was. I then disconnected the park wire between the motor and the switch, as I was not using it and didn't want an unneeded pathway in the mix. Again, I retested my problem by touching the bond wire to the frame but this time it only sparked, the motor kept running. I disconnected the bond, reconnected the park wire between the motor and switch and ran the system to test it again. When I tested the bond connection I got sparks but the system kept running.
I have no idea why, what the problem was or why it seems to have cleared itself. And I'm not happy knowing it can reappear as mysteriously as it disappeared while I'm on a road trip. But I have taken it out in the rain and run the truck twice so far and it is still working as it is supposed to. I even rewired my SOR aftermarket washer system to it so I have every function of the switch. I will post again if/when it goes out, if it goes out.

I hope this thread helps anyone working out their wiper problems.

1981.JPG

bench test.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom