Wiper motor from a Volvo into a 75 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the good pics, I see how you are joining to the linkage. How do the balls attach and remove?

I used a puller to pop the ball from the linkage. Then I used a punch to seperate the ball from the bent arm. The ball was then put back into place with the help of a ballpeen hammer.

Thank you @kcustom73 for posting this thread. Shortly after I saw this thread I acquired a wiper motor for a 2001 S40 for $20 from a wrecker and kept it on my shelf for a later project. Getting caught in a flash downpour last week prompted me to finally do this mod. I installed mine in my 78 and it was very close to being bolt in.

I did make a new mounting plate since the OEM has about a 1/4inch bulge outward which puts the motor into the cover. I used a flat piece of steel and kept the original mounting locations. I didn't end up needing to offset the wiper motor 5/16in. like you did, although my first attempt at the mounting plate used the offset location. After mounting it like this I wasn't happy with the linkage travel, so tried the stock mounting position on another plate I fabbed up. It worked perfectly for me, so I'm not sure if there is a subtle difference between the 75 and 78 mounting location.

My switch has the pigtail and not the pins built onto it like yours. I simply pushed the #4 pin out and made a new connector for it which I attached to a switched +12V source. I removed and reused the stock FJ40 wiper connector on to the Volvo motor and soldered all of the connections. After trimming the Volvo connector to clear the wiper cover I filled in the area with potting compound, I also installed a small piece of adhesive backed rubber inside the wiper cover, although I was able to confirm that it was not in contact.

I'm very pleased with the result. Much better performance and it appears stock.

For anyone trying this, make sure you cycle the Volvo motor into the park location before mounting the wiper linkage.

View attachment 1476852 View attachment 1476853 View attachment 1476854
This thread is great just what i was looking for.!! I have completed everything except for one last task: wiring up to pin 4 on switch. Which pin is number 4? and do i just cut in to harness before the switch connector? I'm working on wife's 78 fj40 and i have wired up to oem wiring and from what i understand all that is left is 1 switch wire and i should be golden. thanks for any help.

Hello kcustom73,
I was really pleased to find your work on the volvo wiper. I'm doing the same job on an old French car (a Panhard Dyna) which has useless wipers. I'm on my third motor and that has just passed away so I bought a Bosch motor for a volvo s40 from ebay. It looks identical to yours! With the help of your wiring instruction I've just been testing it and it works fine on slow and fast speed but I can't get it to park. I must add that I'm not using a switch, just making contact with the battery terminals. Can you tell whether the park wire connects to earth or to 12 volts?
Best Regards

Hi danjamds, I would have to dig up the schematics for the Volvo motor I have at home. It's been 5 years and the memory isn't quite what it use to be ;) Let me see what I can do.

Thread revival... hallelujah :D

Working on this mod now. The Volvo motor shaft is considerably longer than the stock motor. Is the windshield frame deep enough to accomodate this or did you have to modify that somehow?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom