Windshield seal leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruising

Mud User - Not Abuser
SILVER Star
Threads
Just got a leaky windshield leak identified, anybody have a windshield and gasket replaced recently, and for a good price?

15441454330592258715832001236489.jpg

I have had whole windshields replaced for around $200 give or take. Unless the glass is new and doesn't have those little nicks that irritate in direct sunlight you might just have the whole thing replaced.

Frank

It's the original glass I think. So I plan to replace glass and gasket. On the 80's I believe they require a sealant to be added to both the window and the frame. Anyone have recommendations for a reputable and inexpensive installer?

There have been a lot of similar posts recently. I'd search windshield and see what pops up. Toyota still sells the seal, but not the glass, as I recall. Many have reported that Safelite has done them right, and that aftermarket glass works just fine. I think it would be wise to use the Toyota seal rather than a generic one Safelite will want to use. I think the seal is about $60.

Attachments

• 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser Repair Manual - WINDSHIELD PAGES.pdf
    249.2 KB · Views: 82
Mine is so pitted that I might replace it just so I can see when driving into the sun.

Well I got an appointment for safelite to install while I'm at work on Tuesday. I asked if they could source a Toyota gasket but we'll see. Not too bad for price assuming it does not leak at $260 mobile install.

Crossing fingers. My dash gets wonky when it rains so I am thinking I probably have a leak somewhere.

So they wanted another $160 for the Toyota gasket/weatherstrip and will take 4 days to get. They would not warrantee if I bought it and supplied for install. So going to try their gasket/weatherstrip. When talking to the tech he wasn't understanding that the factory applied an adhesive to the gasket. So when he gets here, I'll show him the service install procedure from Toyota and see how it goes.

So I asked the install tech to install the sealant which he said he could do. For those of you that have leaks you may want to tackle them soon. My rig was a San Diego rig all its life and when they removed the gasket it exposed some rust at all the pinch welds. They are wire brushing and painting/primering them to prevent further damage. Not bad but I imagine it would be worse for a rust belt vehicle.

windsheild rust.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom