Windshield cracks: Is this a big problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MTBcoach

The thing that bothered me is that of the folks who responded to the poll, 30% said they had at least one cracked windshield and the information I could gather was that it cost $1,400 or so to replace it.

I have cracked windshields on vehicles before, in fact the last two trucks I've had got cracked because we have a lot of road construction around Atlanta and if you get behind one of those trucks driving down the interstate and a pebble/rock comes out and hits you squarely you will get a crack.

One of the concerns I had when I first saw the FJ up close was the windshield. I had a Mini Cooper and the vertical windshield on that is not as bad but it is a problem in this area. Normal windshields are a problem here. I would naturally expect a radical windshield design like the FJ to crack more often, I guess the exorbitant cost is what worries me. Insurance companies are not going to subsidize a design defect for long and I don't want to be stuck with an otherwise great vehicle with a fatal flaw.

The thing that bothered me is that of the folks who responded to the poll, 30% said they had at least one cracked windshield and the information I could gather was that it cost $1,400 or so to replace it.

I have cracked windshields on vehicles before, in fact the last two trucks I've had got cracked because we have a lot of road construction around Atlanta and if you get behind one of those trucks driving down the interstate and a pebble/rock comes out and hits you squarely you will get a crack.

One of the concerns I had when I first saw the FJ up close was the windshield. I had a Mini Cooper and the vertical windshield on that is not as bad but it is a problem in this area. Normal windshields are a problem here. I would naturally expect a radical windshield design like the FJ to crack more often, I guess the exorbitant cost is what worries me. Insurance companies are not going to subsidize a design defect for long and I don't want to be stuck with an otherwise great vehicle with a fatal flaw.

Again, it's not a "flaw." You just recognized that, like with the Mini Cooper, vertical windshields are prone to cracking. It's an unintended, but anticipated, consequence of that particular design. What would you have them do? Change the pitch? If they did, it would look like a 4 runner, and not a FJ Cruiser.

Yeah, the cost of a new FJ windshield is Absurd.
The quotes range from $1,400 to $1,800 :frown:

cracked windshields

My 2 cents worth. I have 4 Toyotas (2 LandCruisers, an FJC, and a 4Runner) and a Honda Civic ranging from 1988 to 2007. In the past 4 years, they have ALL had cracked windshields, EXCEPT the FJC. :bounce:

Ya know -- If you catch a rock from a truck, and they either don't have the load secured properly, or they don't have mud flaps, or the didn't clean the vehicle off prior to getting on the road, you CAN file a claim against the trucking company for negligence. Make them pay.

Maybe they are so fun to drive you tend to drive the FJc more increasing the chances of a stone chip. ;p

I have had several rocks hit my windshield on the highway, and LUCKILY, I have had no cracks etc.

I'll tell you one time I had a very scary moment... Was driving down the access road after getting off the highway, when all the sudden this HUGE ROCK about 2-3 inches in size comes flying up from this other trucks tire in front of me. I thought my windshield was a gonner for sure, but it hit above the windshield on that white strip of metal going across the front where everyone hides their sat radio wire behind. I got the license number just in case, but stopped to assess the damage. Not one bit of damage other than a scrape mark, and no damage to the paint, no dent etc. I was so lucky, and so relieved. Man I was MAD, but sure was happy nothing happened.

On my older FJ, I had the same problem....... The verticle windshield is prone to such things. I'm sure the hummer owners complain about rocks too.

Right now, it is difficult to determine the truth if there really is a problem or not. You can't take an internet poll as being true statistical data. Even if you take the poll numbers as being accurate, there are 12k members on that forum and 450 or so say they have broken a windshield. Of course, none of those broken "should" have broken according to many of those effected.

It is true that the Toyota replacement is ~$1400 but there or other manufacturers that are supposed to be available at $350-450 but they are hard to come by.

Bottom line is that windshields break and there is no evidence that they are breaking at any greater rate than any other vehicle. There are a handful of posters on that "other" forum who are fanning the flames and claiming to be filing a "grass-roots, class-action" lawsuit in order to feed a bunch of VA attorneys.

I guess its pretty easy to see where I stand on the subject...

Mtbcoach: I owned 6 cars over 27 years. Only the Accura Integra had a busted windshield from a 3" chunk of concrete. I own my FJ for 11 months and have one dime sized ding, one 12" crack, and one quarter sized star, all within the past 4-5 months. I've read all sorts of arguments: the windshield is too weak, the design has a flaw, no-you can't judge the windshield by unscientific forum posts, etc. However, one observation prevails and matches my experience: FJ owners are complaining about the windshield (I don't care why), and other vehicle owners are not complaining as loudly. I think there is something to the FJ windshield complaints and I have my windshield as evidence.

Mtbcoach: I owned 6 cars over 27 years. Only the Accura Integra had a busted windshield from a 3" chunk of concrete. I own my FJ for 11 months and have one dime sized ding, one 12" crack, and one quarter sized star, all within the past 4-5 months. I've read all sorts of arguments: the windshield is too weak, the design has a flaw, no-you can't judge the windshield by unscientific forum posts, etc. However, one observation prevails and matches my experience: FJ owners are complaining about the windshield (I don't care why), and other vehicle owners are not complaining as loudly. I think there is something to the FJ windshield complaints and I have my windshield as evidence.

I am not sure I get all this talk on windshields. I have sat back for weeks and not said anything but I have to ask....Does anyone understand physics? You can't have a nearly flat surface that has little to no deflection angle that does not disapate significant energy by way of cracking, chipping etc when a high velocity object is made to collide into it. Many of those have said they have had x amount of cars and never had this happen. In general, cars are made today with aerodynamics in mind for better gas consumptiona and looks for sales. So a pronounced rake is designed into the windshield. This causes deflection of concentrated energy, which if you are lucky just causes a loud noise and energy is displaced by the object going into space or the guy behind you at his windshield.
I the case of the FJ, its a utility vehicle that also combines a nostaligic looks of the FJ 40 etc. Second, many of us drive off road where there are many rocks, So this is just how life is in the flat winshield world. My Pantera has not cracked a windshield in 35 years, some luck and more because of a 60 degree rake in the windshield design. Once windshield prices come down, hopefully emotions will too.

Don't know what to tell you. You are convinced of a problem and there is little I or anyone can do to convince you otherwise.

I don't know how many car specific discussion boards you monitor but I use as "evidence" the number of cars I see on the road with cracked/broken windshields as well as the large number of windshield replacement companies advertising on radio/tv/print media. At least in my region, you can't go for one commercial break without an advertisement for GlassMasters, Glass Dr or other. Clearly, they are competing for a market share and have enough revenue to pay for TV/radio/print advertisements, thus making windshield repair/replacement a lucrative business venture and it is not excusive to the FJ Cruiser.

The advent of internet discussion boards with a few individuals making persistent and repeated comments help inflame situations which may not be "real" issues. As mentioned in other FJ discussion board threads...there are regulatory agencies which govern the glass. Some believe that Toyota is somehow "scrimping" on glass thickness, reducing durability, causing an extraordinary amount of windshield cracks/breakage. I don't buy in this premis.

Sorry to hear that you have suffered some damage to your winshield. Look around for a replacement since it has been reported that the PPG glass is readily available at 25% of the original cost. But...sh!t happens and I don't see that it merits a class action lawsuit...

Again, it's not a "flaw." You just recognized that, like with the Mini Cooper, vertical windshields are prone to cracking. It's an unintended, but anticipated, consequence of that particular design. What would you have them do? Change the pitch? If they did, it would look like a 4 runner, and not a FJ Cruiser.

I tend to agree with this logic. ANY upright windshield has more frontal area. It will take more hits from debris.
Being that the FJC is tall (relative to most traffic) rocks will hit the front end before they go higher to the windscreen but... it happens.

I had an older SAAB 900T and it had a upright windshield that never cracked. Had a Honda CRX Si that busted a windshield. My FZJ80 got a little bullet crack (semi-gravel truck on the freeway spitting rocks a 1/2 mile behind it's stupid arse)

Doesn't matter. It's glass. A transparent, crystalline shield travelling at 80+mph. Sometimes, it will not take a hit. That's just life. Nothing stays "perfect" forever...

And I've heard this complaint of other makes and models. Always new vehicle owners and it always subsides.

Hold on for a shocker.... paint will chip too! ;)

I had my FJ 2 days when a truck in front of me on the freeway threw up 2 rocks, one chipped my hood, the other other chipped my windshield! It's been about 5 months, it hasn't spidered or created any problems! So I don't think there's any issues with the windshield!
I think it was just bad luck in my case!:doh:

Just filed a complaint with NHTSA re. JF windshield. That in and of itself is not important. That's a cheap shot on my part, that's all. However, while randomly browsing on the NHTSA site, here is what I found for myself - forum readers should dig around to suit their own tastes re. windshield problems:

-FJ Cruiser 2007: 41 registered complaints
-Jeep Wrangler 2007: 1 registered complaint
-Jeep Wrangler 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Jeep Wrangler 2007 two door: 0 registered complaints
-H2 2006: 0 registered complaints
-H3 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Hummer H3 2006: 1 registered complaint
-H3 2007: 0 registered complaints
-Hummer H3 2007: 0 registered complaints
-Mini Cooper S 2006: 8 registered complaints
-Toyota Camry 2006: 1 registered complaint
-Toyota Camry 2007: 1 registered complaint
-Toyota TACO 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Ford F-150 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Hummer h2 2005: 0 registered complaints
-Jeep Wrangler 2005: 0 registered complaints

Go figure!

Just filed a complaint with re. JF windshield. That in and of itself is not important. That's a cheap shot on my part, that's all. However, while randomly browsing on the NHTSA site, here is what I found for myself - forum readers should dig around to suit their own tastes re. windshield problems:

-FJ Cruiser 2007: 41 registered complaints
-Jeep Wrangler 2007: 1 registered complaint
-Jeep Wrangler 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Jeep Wrangler 2007 two door: 0 registered complaints
-H2 2006: 0 registered complaints
-H3 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Hummer H3 2006: 1 registered complaint
-H3 2007: 0 registered complaints
-Hummer H3 2007: 0 registered complaints
-Mini Cooper S 2006: 8 registered complaints
-Toyota Camry 2006: 1 registered complaint
-Toyota Camry 2007: 1 registered complaint
-Toyota TACO 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Ford F-150 2006: 0 registered complaints
-Hummer h2 2005: 0 registered complaints
-Jeep Wrangler 2005: 0 registered complaints

Go figure!

NHTSA = National Highay Traffic and SAFETY administration.

So, you think the issue is now one of safety, interesting...

Complaints to this resource can be made anonymously thus no further validation to an issue but if it makes you feel better, so be it.

The real issue is the replacement cost from Toyota, untill the after market catches up and they become like a pickup windshield say 250 or there abouts, Toyota ought to provide them at less than their confiscatory pricing they have on all their parts, this one is not 1400 bucks special, JMHO, Larry

The real issue is the replacement cost from Toyota, untill the after market catches up and they become like a pickup windshield say 250 or there abouts, Toyota ought to provide them at less than their confiscatory pricing they have on all their parts, this one is not 1400 bucks special, JMHO, Larry

That is the dead truth of the situation. The good thing is that the PPG replacement is coming on line and many have reported replacement costs in the $350-450 range. Still not great but getting better. One key item is the issue of having to replace a "moulding" piece that seems difficult if not impossible to remove without damage.

Hopefully, the trend will continue and the replacement will become more and more reasonable as other aftermarket windshields come on line...

It seems to me that some people have to find things to complain about. “If it's not perfect, it must be a flaw that we can sue someone over!” Any time something doesn't go or work 100% flawlessly they complain about it; just like the Romans did before they were trampled under foot by their many enemies that had made for themselves by thinking they were better and smarter then everyone else.

My wife’s '04 Saturn Vue is on its 3rd windshield, and we decided not to replace the first two until we had to for inspection. This 3rd one has lasted twice as long as the first two did. It's just the luck of the draw, and probably a little with how much gravel there is on you're local highways.

My FJC sure likes to collect bugs, but so far no rocks, and no cracks.

Last edited:
Not a problem, but yes if you put the windshield at that steep of an angle rocks are much less likely to bounce of without causing damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom