Windshield cracks: Is this a big problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i suppose that it would be a heinous act of heresy to suggest that by increasing your following distance and decreasing your speed that you signifigantly reduce the risk of damage to your winshield. just food for thought... karma.

Last edited:
Mine finally cracked today. Not lawsuit worthy but I knew it would happen.

Yup! Email my concern to Toyota and this is what I got.....

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We apologize for your concern regarding the windshield of your 2007 FJ Cruiser.
Unfortunately, rock and stone impacts do occur to all vehicles during its service life regardless of the make or brand. The existing road conditions, vehicle speed, temperature and the type of vehicle being followed are all varying factors that play a role in determining the probability that a vehicle is struck by a rock or road debris. Some rocks or stones that hit a windshield at a high rate of speed will most certainly cause unavoidable damage to any vehicle’s windshield. Toyota vehicles, including the FJ Cruiser, are equipped with windshields using laminated glass that meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
A windshield which has been damaged should be repaired or replaced as soon as possible depending upon the degree of damage.
The warranty does not cover any part of a Toyota vehicle that has been subjected to abuse, negligence, or accident. Where such abuse, misuse, negligence, or accident does not adversely affect the performance, reliability, or stability of the part, the warranty on that part remains in effect and such action does not, in and of itself, render the warranty of a part void. However, any failure to a Toyota–supplied part resulting from such an action is not covered by the warranty.
In general, the warranty covers manufacturing concerns within the time and mileage limitations of the warranty, whichever occurs first, and does not cover a repair if it is not caused by a manufacturing concern.
Determination of warranty coverage is done by a Toyota dealership inspection of the vehicle. The warranty is in effect unless the dealership determines that the cause of a particular concern is not caused by the manufacturer.
While the warranty will not cover an accident, your insurance carrier may cover damage caused by an accident. Insurance companies will not cover warrantable concerns, as insurance does not provide protection against manufacturing defects. Manufacturing defects are covered by the warranty, within the time and mileage limitations, and accidents may be covered by insurance, within the coverage limitations of your insurance carrier. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200706250601. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Toyota Customer Experience
Customer (Nat Pintello)06/23/2007 11:23 PMI'm VERY concerned with the windshield of the (2) FJ Cruisers I purchased a year ago. I heard it cracks without impact??? Is this true??? I don't want to pay more insurance for cracked glass. Especially for what I paid for these vehicles!!! Shot me back an email....Thanks, Nat and Cathy Pintello

In other words....your on your own buddy even if it cracks without any incident.....I remember when I bought my 2000 Celica GT and I bought the supposed "Bumper to Bumper" warranty on it. 3 years in my gas door corroded and fell off!!! I called Toyota and NO GO! They wouldn't cover it. I had to buy it myself and have it painted and installed to match. I asked the guy while I was on the phone if my drivers side door corroded and fell off on the highway on my way home from work....would it be covered??? A resounding "NO" was the answer. I won't go into what I said after I found that out...but it wasn't good I'll tell you that....That's why I won't buy the extended warranty with Toyota and it's really good to see that they are backing this situation up as well....Toyota....are you listening???? Your warranty and customer service SUCKS!!!!SUCKS!!!!SUCKS!!!! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:OK....Now I'm good....Have a good night people and carry on!

I just had a rock hit my windshield and created a small star. I thought " i will get that fixed at a windshield repair place". Well, 5 miles later a crack started all the way across my windshield. So much for a repair job. I think these wind shields are under strees where thay are installed and this causes a complete crack after it has been compromised by a little stone. This has never happened in my 30 years of driving other vehicles. I have had many a star but never leading to a crack like this. Including on the flat FJ-40's I have owned.

This is a design flaw in my opinion.

I just had a rock hit my windshield and created a small star. I thought " i will get that fixed at a windshield repair place". Well, 5 miles later a crack started all the way across my windshield. So much for a repair job. I think these wind shields are under strees where thay are installed and this causes a complete crack after it has been compromised by a little stone. This has never happened in my 30 years of driving other vehicles. I have had many a star but never leading to a crack like this. Including on the flat FJ-40's I have owned.

This is a design flaw in my opinion.

If the crack started from a star hit, you might be able to get that covered. good luck.
the idea that it is under stress might be possible...

If the crack started from a star hit, you might be able to get that covered. good luck.
the idea that it is under stress might be possible...

same thing happened to my wife's 100. Small star to crack that ran from side to side in a days driving. Maybe Toyota is stressing ALL of their windshields!

well I'll go back to my "stuff happens" :) cause, it does...

window

I am on my second windshield and it now has a crack. I WOULD SAY THIS IS A BIG ISSUE!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Michael

My wife's Saturn Vue is on it's 3rd windshield and we've had it for 4 years. The first two cracked shortly after being brand new, but the last one has been good for almost 2 years now. It can happen to anyone and doesn't necessarily mean there's a design flaw.

I'm at 7k in my FJC and still no cracks what so ever. I even got hit by a sizable rock a couple weeks ago and it hardly left a mark.

This is not a complaint...

I've been driving and had many cars/trucks over the last 38 years and had maybe two cracked windshields in that time.

I've had the FJC for 1 year, 23k miles. I have 3 chips, two will soon be cracks.

I have not changed my driving style. Before the FJC my FJ40 was my daily driver for about 10 years (no chips/cracks). I will not be part of the class action suit.

There is clearly a problem with the windshield.

Don't know about other states but in Fla, comprehensive insurance coverage will replace front any vehcile glass at no cost to policy holder.....I can attest because the old ladies 2004 tahoe is on its 3rd windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom