Will transfer-case gear lube foam, if contaminated or overfill? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From what I gathered, his conclusion was that overheating the transmission fluid, while he was playing on the beaches in Baja California, was what originally caused ATF to be transferred from his transmission to his transfer case, via his breather lines. He didn’t seem to have conclusive answers of whether the AT was overfilled, but seemed to have evidence of ATF in the transfer case, leaks from the transfer case seals, and unexplained underfill to overfill in his transfer case, on the drive home.

It just seemed that it might be relevant to the problem that you were chasing.

It might be an argument for separating the AT & TC breathers, if/when you choose to extend them.
I agree. That "if" ATF is entering TC via breather line or vise versa. We need separation! We for sure need to look hard at this issue. Seems, excessive foaming would play a roll.

But I'd think if ATF in TC gear lube. That the mixing and heating by driving. Would produce a dark (black or brown) gear lube, not so much a red. But IDK.
What I saw coming from fill and drain plug of this TC, was dark. Darker than I would have though, in only 1,600 miles.

I suspect in case I"m working. Since TC was leaking at time @dubdub20003 purchased, before he change/flushed gear lube. We're dealing with a contaminate. That perhaps some remaining at time of last change of lube, and it was overfilled also last change possible one before also with unknown brand gear lube.

I agree. That "if" ATF is entering TC via breather line or vise versa. We need separation! We for sure need to look hard at this issue. Seems, excessive foaming would play a roll.

But I'd think if ATF in TC gear lube. That the mixing and heating by driving. Would produce a dark (black or brown) gear lube, not so much a red. But IDK.
What I saw coming from fill and drain plug of this TC, was dark. Darker than I would have though, in only 1,600 miles.

I suspect in case I"m working. Since TC was leaking at time @dubdub20003 purchased, before he change/flushed gear lube. We're dealing with a contaminate. That perhaps some remaining at time of last change of lube, and it was overfilled also last change possible one before also with unknown brand gear lube.
I don’t disagree, but it does make me curious about my 99 LX (very hot under engine braking on the Colorado trails), and/or 06 LX, from “hurricane water crossings”. Maybe an “out of shedule” fluid change is warranted.

If/when I extend the “breathers “ I think I can justify separate “circuits”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom