1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the 3B is AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by fe sus, Aug 27, 2006.

1. fe sus

fe sus

15 minutes after leaving Cruiser Days in Surrey, BC, the pulley located just behind the cooling fan on my '83 3B blew up. I was sitting on the side of the road in rural BC and had no way to contact the massive Crusier parts/knowledge database a mere 15km away and way to repair the busted pulley. So. I went ahead and removed it. And the rest of the belts too. Then I drove the rig 120 miles back to my house in Seattle. That's pretty amazing. Now, it did take me appx. 7 hours to make the drive while traveling no faster than 45MPH and stopping periodically to pack the radiator with ice and let things cool down.... but I made it. No power steering, no alternator, no cooling fan...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So if you have one of these kicking around in the garage I'd love to take it of fof your hands...:cheers:

2. Greg_B

Greg_B

Interesting, and good for you!

I once drove from Salt Lake City back to Abbotsford with no alternator. Diesels rule...

To bad we missed meeting. We did not back back into town until 19:00.

gb

3. notagp_afj55

notagp_afj55

Yea and if it was as hot in Seatown as it was here
    in Portland it was a bear. Yesterday was 95'. I dont
    think a 2F would have done that

4. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i will take a look tomorrow...

5. jearl

jearl

Any ideas how that thing broke apart like that?!

6. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

metal fatigue, LOL I would think perhaps more than one bolt was not tight.The pulley belt sections wear from loose or over tight belts especially.Overtight belts put extra load on all parts of the pulley and bearing.Fe Sus you did well to nurse it home good thinking . Did you take the thermostat out to limp home?:cheers:

7. fe sus

fe sus

Here's my guess: since installing the 3B/H55F combo into the truck I've been having issues with the fan rubbing the shroud in low gears or when accelerating over... stuff. I tried to remedy this by installing really thick washers between the transmission mounts and cross member, which works (I can now use 1st gear without hearing that awful noise) for the most part... but hitting a pothole at speed will still casue a momentary "buzz." So. That's my guess... though the belt may have been too tight also... I don't have a belt tension measurer...

8. Greg_B

Greg_B

Did you put in new engine mounts? If you used the old ones, perhaps the lamination of the rubber to the metal has let go. I had this happen on my BJ60 (seems to happen on the 60's more then the 42's...more weight to get going) while wheeling at Quesnel a few years back. Another 60 there had the same issue. We chained his, and strapped mine. I left it that way for quite a while before it got changed. It's common on high performance applications to chain down the one side. Point of all this...mayby chain or strap down the mount so there is some give, but not enough to lift and hit the shroud.

hth's

gb

9. polarweasel

polarweasel Where's mah cruzah?

When we pulled the motor mounts off my 60 a while back, we noticed that they were both delaminated. The PO had tried put them back together by welding a link of chain to both sides. That gave up the ghost by the time I bought it, and I could never figure out why my t-case wouldn't stay in 4WD. Now I know... :)

Definitely check those mounts!

10. fe sus

fe sus

Yeah. I hooked a hoist up to the engine yesterday and gave it some lift... the mounts are toast. PITA to change them out but I guess I have to... and I'm going to chain the left side while I'm at it. Greg... wanna sell me some mounts as well?

11. fe sus

fe sus

Well... installed a replacement water pump pulley that arrived this morning. The truck is idling for a bit to try and restore the batteries (nighttime drive from CA with no alternator). Thanks a ton Greg! I'll be in touch regarding the mounts when I figure out what I'm going to do next...

12. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

The engine mount can look ok but the bolt and the immediately surrounding rubber could have pulled out showing no cracks etc on the sides. Get someone to stand to the side and watch then let the clutch out steadily with the brakes on crank the hand throttle up some. The engine will lift if the mount has failed.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">