why is the fj62 so expensive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I have some of the experst attention what is a acceptable price for a 88-90 fj62...I know condition plays an important part but lets say ballpark price.....
oh yea I too am very cheap and I know Ill need to make nicer and do all sort of upgrades later wheels/tires/lift exhaust I shure the list will go on and on :doh:

drive as many used 62's as you can, even if its not something your interested in, the more you drive the better you will kmow them, and when you find the right one you will know it.

Pass on the one that needs trany work. It could be something simple(like low fluid or old fluid) but prolly not, my guess is that the owners never changed the trany fluid......and the trany is on its last legs.

Keep calling on that one in Seattle.........if its still for sale something tells me its a sweetheart of a 62

hmmmm.....SOA...... :D
765038458.158032511.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

$5850

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...vanced=n&start_year=1984&=&color=&cardist=121

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=12551;start=msg115197#msg115197 date=1078441726]
Keep calling on that one in Seattle.........if its still for sale something tells me its a sweetheart of a 62
[/quote]

He has spoken and ye shall obey.

-Ferg-

Hay Ferg
dont know if you are still on this topic but have any ideas as to ehy it might make a noise in d and 3 position the no noise after the trans warms up???? in response to a torque convert issue or is the trans shot????/ what do you think

Vt yea looked at thatone dont think i wheel enough to need Soa more of a DD than a wheeler.Need it for trails to camping spot /fishing hunting trips.like the looks of OME wth 33's and 3/4 lift

Just a thought if you could pick up a 89 with 1800000 need a rebuild trand for 3000 spend 2000 on the trans would that be an ok deal?????

Auto trannies are magic black boxes. The A440F in the FJ62 is a rock solid reliable transmission and will last pretty much forever if taken care of. Unfortunately they are all at least 14 years old now, and almost noone will work on them other than to flush the fluid. There is one guy in Australia that knows them inside and out, but that's it. You can ask him about it and he'll gladly give you good advice. See his post on the board here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=12247 Rodney's a very nice guy and honest businessman.

There are enough FJ62's out there that I would simply pass on one with any tranny trouble.

Other than rust - wheel wells, rocker panels, door bottoms, window bottoms, rear quarter panels, etc., there isn't much else to worry about on an FJ62. They are simple and reliable, other than the electronic engine controls and weird emissions.

There are lots of things that go bad and that you can expect to find on most Fj62's - the fuel pressure regulator tends to fail between 100-200K miles, but is a 10 minute job to replace, the rear drum brake bellcranks and e-brake attachments tend to seize up, you will eventually need a new alternator, thermostat, water pump, and fan clutch, the springs will be shot and maybe the shocks. These are the things that will have been fixed if you find one owned by a knowledgeable Cruiserhead, like anyone on this board.

Go for no rust and low mileage and good record of maintenance if you can find it and you can't go wrong. The rest is nuts and bolts wrench turning stuff you can deal with when it's yours.

Only thing I know about auto trannies is that I had one that self-destructed at 80,000 miles (on a Pathfinder mind you) and I paid $2300 for a new one. :eek: Sucked ass. And of course, it was a design flaw and Nissan wouldn't do anything about it... :slap:

As for your question about $3000 for a 180000 and then $2000 for a new tranny. I would say yes (but I ain't no expert), sounds like a good deal as long as everything else is in good condition as well. But I would look pretty hard at the engine too.

On a side note, I'm kinda, sorta lookin' for 62s right now and I'm pretty sure I emailed the same guy you did about the one with the torque converter goin' out.

-Ferg-

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........Yooper you know how you get when you think you might find that diamond inthe ruff.The owner has some recoeds and saaid he has replaced starter,exhaust,brakes,alt front end rebuilt 2 years ago ect seems to know about his cruiser told me what wt oil heuses and mtnce since he owned,then fessed up about trans issue and I havent even driven it yet........

OK for those that are still playing....finally talket to someone about the one in seattle with 89000 on an 88.seems like it was a 88 bought with a bad engine and the engine in it now has 89000 truck hsa 219 and rust on back window per wife,i'll let you know if he calls back still lookin

[quote author=VTCruiser link=board=1;threadid=12551;start=msg115184#msg115184 date=1078440791]
I opted for the 60 because I didn't need all the fancy power windows etc. (just added weight :p)
- FUJ
[/quote]

In a truck that dressed will be well over 5K, you are worried about the weight of electric window motors...

HA HA HA!

I am not aware of a transmission shop in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area that would even think of working on the auto trans in the 62 for around 2K.

Book time on teardown and rebuild is 24-26 hours....that is 1500 in labor alone at least, not counting ANY parts...which could easily run you another 1500, because not replacing the tourqe converter when going through a transmission is as stupid as not replacing the clutch on a manual...

A nice couple purchased a VERY, VERY clean 62 series from TLC a couple years back, under 100K on the truck, they paid A LOT for this truck...it had some issues, and I am not here to rip TLC, because they took care of the issues, but what I am trying to say is that no matter the condition, past history, mileage or whatever, anything can and will break, just like with a new vehicle, except you get to pay for things, instead of having a warranty...

Good luck!

-Steve

It's funny we run the gamut out here in Northern New England too...everything is over $3k (60 or 62) and 90% have no frame behind the rear axle left...not to mention the terrible rear quarters and doglegs....hatches and tailgates are a tick behind the 1/4's.

I lucked out and picked up my 1990 with 145k on it in January...the lower 1/4's are punky and the bottom of the rear gate is starting to discolor....but for $3200 it runs great, and most importantly the frame is Perfect. My friend Grant just picked up an '88 with 196k on it and a GREAT body for $3700....

Two flukes within a month.

Mine...
16.jpg

Grants
1.jpg

His drives better than mine!

He got the better color too.. ;)

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12551;start=msg115385#msg115385 date=1078456773]
He got the better color too.. ;)
[/quote]

I like my purple/maroon....sorta LOL Kinda changes color in different light...

11.jpg

I can not wait until it is teal... ::) :D

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=12551;start=msg115412#msg115412 date=1078458471]
I can not wait until it is teal... ::) :D
[/quote]

Where's Treeroot when ya need him?!?!

I actually called the PO yesterday to get the paint code....he owns a rod and custom shop) and he has no clue what he mixed up for the thing LOL...looks like my repairs will be Black LOL...

My wife Despises the red stripe.

I don't even notice the color of the rig anymore...it's going to get so scratched and banged up I try not to get attached LOL!

Here's one in Wenatchee - another one with a slipping tranny, prolly just needs a new valve body - $700 DIY job. I know nothing about it other than what I saw in this post to the 3FE list. By the way, you should join the 3FE list on Yahoo - the best collection of knowledgeable FJ62 owners are there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/

:cheers:

Subject: [3FE] Priced Reduced
&nbsp:Date: March 5, 2004 12:07:17 AM EST
To: 3FE@yahoogroups.com
Reply-To: 3FE@yahoogroups.com

My 89 FJ62 needs a new home. I would like her to go to someone who
cares. I am selling her for slightly over what the dealer will give
me. Here is a link to pics of her.

http://www.ecoplanandesign.com/links.cfm

Her history is as follows:

She is located in Wenatchee, WA.

The body has no rust and the paint is very good for a rig of this
age. The dent has been quoted to be fixed for $450.00. It is not
severe. The only other thing about the body is the hood has been
bent slightly on one corner. I have owned the cruiser for about
85,000 miles. The rear quarter panel belongs to me - a trailer and
snow issue, otherwise the vehicle has not been wrecked that I know
of. The dealer I bought it from stated that the vehicle had not
been wrecked, but he could not account for the hood dent.

Interior 9 out of 10. Complete detail 2 yrs ago. - read everything
came out.

I do not need to add oil between changes and it does not smoke. It
has the cruiser camshaft oil leak so it is hard to judge if it
actually uses any oil. I run Castol 20-50 and change every 3000
miles.

Tires are new, front knuckles rebuilt about 20,000 ago, relatively
new radiator, water pump, starter, alt. Injectors rebuilt. Have
not touched the suspension.

I am a non smoker.

Reason for selling and reason for pricing.

Unfortunately my wife does not look at a man and his cruiser the way
I do. For me I would just keep rebuilding it forever. She,
however, sees it as expensive to repair, slow, and get bad gas
mileage.

So the main problem is the torque converter is starting to go or the
tranny valve body is acting up. There is some slippage first thing
in the morning, then one cannot tell there is any problem. My wife
does not want me to put any more money into the truck. Therefore
the low price. I have been reading the posts on the 3FE list, and
suspect that maybe it is not my torque converter, but maybe the
valve body on the tranny.

It has not gotten too bad yet and I continue to drive the truck
every day - kind of hoping it will go completely out. Then I will
slip in a Toyota V8.

The check engine light comes on occasionally. My mechanic ran the
code and says not to worry about it. I forget which code it is.

Overall rating would be 8 out of 10.

Email me for more data.

thomvetter@applecapital.net

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
3FE-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back