why is the fj62 so expensive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hellow Members:
I am new to all of this hope I post it correctly so here goes.....I am looking at several fj62 and dont know what to look for.Seems everyone thinks they are worth as much as a new vehicle,what gives???? I have seen them from $3000 all the wayto $12000 with a zillion miles.So the question is take a low mile over high...take a no rust with high miles or just keep looking???????? i dont want to have a 250000 mile vehicle with 10000 worth of new parts just to be a driver/wheeler.Looking at a real clean 89 has 190000 but no ust that i can see anywhere,frame clean door openings all rust prone places look clean.It does need a torque convtr soon but runs great after warmed up 4800 asking please help me decide. thanks all .

Well 62 had a short production, only 88-90, I recall only 5000 a year came into the US and they are kinda a clasic IMOP.

Not sure where you are at but last night I saw a 88 with 89,000 miles for 6k in Seattle WA, do a search in Auto Trader, 100 miles from Zip 98332 and it will come up, havn't seen it but I got a feeling its prolly a nice one.......most of the WA 62's have lived a good life ;)

Like any other LAnd Cruiser, you get what ou pay for. I based my purchase of a FJ62 on what I wanted out of it
and what I could put into it. I hate body work but like mechanics so high miles was no biggie but rust was a
red flag. I just write up a tally sheet of what I want and don't want and start searching for the beat deal given
my constraints. JL

Thanks for response;I called that one for 6000 in Wa no response...get answer machine guess thay dont want to call me in Idaho... I'm in Coeurd'Alene havw been looking for about 6 months the 62 i spoke of is real close to me also just found an 88 at dealer 5 miles away ( Wife called me about it) has 145000 one small rust spot on tailgate by rear window looks clern dealer asking 5650.

And high miles doesn't scare me either. Our 90 fj62 has 240k on it......and runs better and has more power than any other 62 I have driven, SUPER well maintend one owner Cruiser(he bought a 2002 100 series to replace it) Int(not even the normal driver seat tear) and ext are as new, he had it detailed monthy, carpet in the back and seat covers all its life. If you covered the odo up and I tossed anyone the keys they would think its under 100k. Doesn't leak a drop or burn any oil.

31898610.jpg

the one for sale in Seattle is the same color.

our 88 had 340k on it when it was hit last year.........still ran(and still does) like a champ, had a new head at 290k......other than that just normal stuff.

rusts SUCKS!!!!!

Oh, if you want 3 point rear seat belts look for a 89-90 I think.

Also have been on ever forum and site i can find...looking for any low milage 62 but it seems that people use them.I would like to hear any suggestions and any info as th what to look for in my quest.What are most serious concerns in a 14/15 year old LC and will it, if maintained last .I need to use as Daily Driver for several mths cant put alot of cash in at first just need to be reliable trans...any response and suggestions would help ...Thanks all............

.........I type Sloooooow.........

when our 88 was hit, we looked at a half dozen other 62's for sale close by, most had 150k and were well used(I would say a few were beat) all were on used car lots and were bought at auction. The 90 we bought rolled into the parking lot at the grocery store when we were walking out...........they had just put a for sale sign in it. It was by FAR better than any others we looked at, paid $5500(or maybe 5) for it.

Sucks on the one in Seattle, must be sold or something...........heck I was tempted to check it out and pick it up myself ;)

Don't rush.......the right one will turn up :)

Landpimp;
The one down the strees looks almost as clean.....OK not as clean .......what kind of cash for something in that class of cruzer.I know ck compression and 4x4 and everything else have any info on what else to look at?????

Well looks like nobody else ....com on guys give me some cruiser knowledge I did a search got nothing ....
So if any of you were in the market what are the things to ck and look out for in a 62 purchase and where would I take it to get it cked out any response helpful tks.........

I am over the Seattle/Tacoma area so I will keep my eyes out a nice one for you. Actaully there is one just 2 min away, just sitting in the back alley, looks VERY nice but not for sale..........but I have been meaning to ask about it.

Used car lot in Tacoma has a red 88 with 180k(I think) on it, they were asking $7k, the fender at least had been repainted, had new tires, pretty nice rig, and it was a local rig from Gig Harbor(which is home to ALOT of Cruisers ;) You don't see alot of red 62's either.
ah, here is the card of the place, Car Trek 253 848 9936. I told em it was worth $4500....but I am a cheap bastard ;)

Good luck and I be looking for ya.

John

[quote author=want62bad link=board=1;threadid=12551;start=msg115159#msg115159 date=1078438756]
Also have been on ever forum and site i can find...looking for any low milage 62 but it seems that people use them.I would like to hear any suggestions and any info as th what to look for in my quest.What are most serious concerns in a 14/15 year old LC and will it, if maintained last .I need to use as Daily Driver for several mths cant put alot of cash in at first just need to be reliable trans...any response and suggestions would help ...Thanks all............

.........I type Sloooooow.........
[/quote]

Um,

I guess the wrong forum it say this in :whoops: but what about a 91-2 80?

3FE and 440 like a 62 and not rust prone. The price is dropping on them as well.

Thanks John;
The one I mentioned earlier is in Spokane with 185500 on ti is a 2 owner looked at some pictures he e maild to me pretty clean just scard of milage ant trq convtr problem.Do you have any idea as to what that would entail and cost to repair???? would you consider it looks like you have some exp with crusrs thanks Dave.......

Cruiser dan....I just like old school style and dont think it didnt cross my mind just like to know what to watch out fot befoer purchase....

Hay John:
Do you have a shop for cruser repair I think I went to a websight for you ....Dave

Hay everybody thanks for all replies just would like to know what are some of the pitfalls when purchasing a 62 any suggestions thanks

Cool,

They sometimes show up around here in the high desert. Not as rusty as some areas. I'll keep an eye out ;)

FWIW, a new OEM torque converter, 32000-60030, lists for $932.57 and could be had buy a smart shopper for around 700 bucks. You may be able to use that figure as a bargaining chip.

D-

you can find 60 for cheaper probably, and its the same basic truck. I think the reason the 62's fetch more money is because their newer, came with the auto tranny and more "luxuries" but they still have the same classic style.

I opted for the 60 because I didn't need all the fancy power windows etc. (just added weight :p) and definitely didn't want an auto tranny. I like the looks of the 60's better too, those big round headlights are sooooo sexy :D

some of the luxuries are nice though....if ur into that sort of thing... :p

As mentioned before, give it time and you'll find the right truck...good luck :cheers:

- FUJ

Why do they say its the torque converter? I have never heard of a problem with that? but if its something wrong in the trany......I would pass on it, to rebuild a trany your looking at 2k!

Nope I don't run a shop, just dig Cruisers :)

Owner says that when he first starts and drives it makes a whoosh sound in d and 3 then as it warms up its ok havent driver it just what he said???/any suggestions as to what may be wrong.....prolly should pass oooooh so close to me

I think you're pretty much on the right track. I swear there's not much more to worry about when lookin' for a 62 (or other Cruiser) than when lookin' for any other not-new car. This is what I think:

Main thing you don't want is RUST. That stuff sucks. Unless you are or know a good body guy. As to the mileage--I've always heard that Cruiser gasoline engines can go for a long, long time, but it depends a lot upon how they are treated. There are some things that could indicate it might have been abused: leaky, dirty engine and bay; torn up inside and out; funny noises; etc, etc--you get the point. Try to get a feel for how the current and previous owners treated it. Is there any service records? If they say this or that has been done, why should you just take their word for it? Get some details if at all possible. I would also have a good mechanic give it a once or twice over. Check engine compression for sure. And of course, you wanna give it a test drive or two. See how it feels at low and high RPMs and speeds.

But anyway, if a vehicle the age of a 62 is clean on the outside and inside and such, there is a good chance the engine and other mechanicals are pretty clean as well.

That's my two cent opinion anyway.

-Ferg-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom