Why do you need a winch... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well if its either turn around, or go forward....

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzguanBn.jpg

Only panzys turn around :D

M101

Thats a nice trailer in Alambama.. What did you do to end up like that?

Or just driving a county road in south Alabama.

Whoa! Lovin' the pics...Glad we don't have mud around here like you guys are trudgin' through. I'm way to lazy to clean that crap off!

If that was what you're looking for.....why not post a thread in the 100 forum or do a search there? But, then, you wouldn't get all these stories and heartfealt opinions, huh? - I figured as much.......:censor:

Go take a nap :flipoff2:

Whoa! Lovin' the pics...Glad we don't have mud around here like you guys are trudgin' through. I'm way to lazy to clean that **** off!

Go take a nap :flipoff2:

Well, did you find the info you were looking for so you can put a winch on that 100? Or are you just going to drool over all these pics & stories?:flipoff2:

Well, did you find the info you were looking for so you can put a winch on that 100? Or are you just going to drool over all these pics & stories?************

I'll probably just sell the cruiser and live life through the pics and stories on this forum...

Edit and on topic...haven't found anyone who has installed a winch without an aftermarket bumper on a 100...probably would want something bigger than what would fit there anyways.

Last edited:
...........haven't found anyone who has installed a winch without an aftermarket bumper on a 100...probably would want something bigger than what would fit there anyways.

In an earlier post, you mentioned seeing an 80 with a frame mounted winch and OEM bumper. I remember seeing that, too. But, in analysis, I'm convinced that I'd rather have it exposed, like on my ARB. A couple of reasons come to mind. First being that you can watch the rope spooling on it. Second is it would cool quicker & more efficiently during heavy use out on the ARB as opposed to being tucked in between frame rails and in close proximity to the radiator and engine.

Well if its either turn around, or go forward....

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzguanBn.jpg

Only panzys turn around :D

What size winch you got there.... that's some decent mud depth and I am wonder if anything less than 12k would help in that situation?

What size winch you got there.... that's some decent mud depth and I am wonder if anything less than 12k would help in that situation?

That's a Smitty built XRC 10. So a 10k winch. Single line pull, probably on the 2nd or 3rd wrap.

It pulled the 4runner right out. It's no land cruiser, but it still isn't light.

Now OP, get a winch! I got mine mainly because I wheel alone 95% of the time. When I got it I was getting stuck out alone a lot. Now that I have become a better driver, with a bit better sense of what my truck can, and cannot do, I use it less and less as an un-planned self recovery device.
But with that said, the times I do use it, I really need it!

It is also really handy for pulling out friends, and doing any number of tasks.

The recovery that springs to mind was when my friend hydrolocked his Grand Cherokee in a relatively small water hole (I gave him the chance to go first, as I hate going through watery mucky crap)
Anyways, he locked it up, then got high centered on a rock. Pulling him straight forward or back with a strap could have rip all the bottom off his Jeep, but since I had the winch, I got up next to him, and we slowly pulled the rock out from under it, then I pulled him out (I actually used the winch instead of a strap to do this too, because using a strap would have required quite a bit of wheel spin which would have torn up the grass I had to be in to get him out.)

Then there's the time I re-adjusted the angle of my basketball hoop with it..

Now get a winch! :bounce:

Thats a nice trailer in Alambama.. What did you do to end up like that?

Trailer is a 1966 M416.

In this part of the state the unpaved roads are sandy, sometimes with a clay mix. Maintenance crews come through and grade the roads and in doing so cut it deeper along the edge. Get a good rain and the side of the road turns to soup but it may still look solid. My friend and I were there with several other vehicles, all of which had parked more on the road, but in an attempt to be considerate I pulled off more to the side. Heck, I was in a FJ40 that should pose no problem. Time to leave I moved forward and the outer front tire was pulled into the goo. The trailer hindered backing up so it was disconnected and the only way to go was forward. Most of the trees nearby were small plantation pine so that's what was being used. We were making slow progress. A local finally came along in a full-sized truck and using that as a winch anchor we popped the 40 out.

In an earlier post, you mentioned seeing an 80 with a frame mounted winch and OEM bumper. I remember seeing that, too. But, in analysis, I'm convinced that I'd rather have it exposed, like on my ARB. A couple of reasons come to mind. First being that you can watch the rope spooling on it. Second is it would cool quicker & more efficiently during heavy use out on the ARB as opposed to being tucked in between frame rails and in close proximity to the radiator and engine.

I agree, the only reason I would be interested in the frame mount with OEM bumper is to save some $$ on the bumper cost. And the less physical appearance change, the less the wife thinks I'm spending.

With the heft of the 100, I'm going to go w/ a 12,000# winch/bumper combo when I save enough pennys.

sometime the belly rubs on the sand:D
P1241496.3.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, the only reason I would be interested in the frame mount with OEM bumper is to save some $$ on the bumper cost. And the less physical appearance change, the less the wife thinks I'm spending.

With the heft of the 100, I'm going to go w/ a 12,000# winch/bumper combo when I save enough pennys.

Well there's a guy that frequents the 80 tech forum, goes by 'mot'. I think he's in Japan and he's knowledgeable about what JDM has available. He could probably tell you if there was a winch option offered for the 100. PM him with your interests. He might be able to help you out. Sounds expen$ive, though. HTH

In reply to the original question, (paraphrase) why do you need a winch?

Without a winch your STUCK! :bang:
with one though youre never "stuck", only "temporarily delayed"

Because you never know when you're going to come upon someone needing a little help :p

1002838n.jpg

1002841n.jpg

Or for the times a buddie's truck craps out on an obstacle

e53a51b5.jpg

pray4surf,
Nice rigging! Shows why you should throw in an extra snatch block, etc, just in case...

pray4surf,
Nice rigging! Shows why you should throw in an extra snatch block, etc, just in case...

I carry four of them, with a screw type clevis and short strap/tree saver for each, and have used them all recovering vehicles in the past...

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom