White color code for 1973? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.exploringoverland.com
I'm having the hardest time finding the correct color code to order touch-up paint for the body of my 1973 FJ40. Some color charts say it is Cygnus white, T12 or O12, but others say that is for the roof, which is a "whiter" white. I can find no other white paint code for '73 FJ40s. Another source said 040, and I ordered a bottle in that, but it is clearly too white. Does anyone know for sure? I'd rather not have to pay to have it custom-matched. Thanks . . . !

FJ40 rear small copy.jpg

Cygnus T012 is defnitely not a "white-white", it's very much a cream/off-white. My '76 was Cygnus on the body, yours looks pretty similar, although it's a hard picture to tell from due to the shadows. I want to say the shift to the slightly-whiter 031 started around '77.

My T12 hardtop next to my actually-white JK:
1623942823678.jpeg

This is also true - it was generally used as the "accent white" for bezels and tops. My late-75 was Cygnus *everywhere*. I'm in the middle of a repaint, and I'm planning to use a whiter-white (non-OEM) for my bezel and top...I'll retain the factory/OEM Cygnus for the body, but also get a bit of the classic 40 two-tone look. If yours has been repainted, they may have done the same trick, as all-Cygnus is a bit "plain"...based on the photo, the top does look fairly white. If it's just the lighting and the top is the OEM-style T12, then your body paint must be more like the dune beige...or something non-standard in-between.

This site's "digital chips" are pretty close references from what I've found:

Dune beige:

dune.jpg

Update . . . nope on Cygnus white. Too white. That eliminates every color on any chart I've found for the off-white on a 1973 FJ40. I'm just going to take the gas filler flap into a painter and see if they can match it.

Maybe Arctic White—0851. It was a Toyota color for that year. The picture of your truck above and the paint chip color look pretty close.

CBE4A2CF-7FD6-43D7-9CA1-96AA3A521AF2.jpeg

I have an “all Cygnus” white 75 with mostly original paint (barring the black bezzel). The top definitely looks “whiter” than the body but in my own research on the subject I think it’s just because the gel coat of the fiberglass fades more quickly than the body paint. I do agree, however, that “all Cygnus” is a bit too monotone - and if I do repaint my truck someday, I’ll probably opt for “whiter” accents.

31CB93C0-AF8F-4EF5-B545-E8F544813343.jpeg

@Jonathan Hanson
In case you hadn't looked in FAQs...

Problem solved. I took the fuel filler lid to Finish Master in Tucson, they matched the color, made me a quart of touchup paint, and took enough out of that to also make me two spray cans. While I waited.
Matched paint.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom