Whistling 1HD-FT. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned a diesel 4.2 24v (1HD-FT) Landcruiser 80 series (HDJ81) for over a year now and it has always made a strange whistling sounds on moderate to full throttle irrespective of RPM.
I started noticing it more recently when on holiday as the LC was fully laden and ascending steep hills.

I had previously disconnected the EGR valves but they are still in situ however.
This noise appears to become louder seemingly when the turbo is working harder. Is this what a failing turbo sounds like or perhaps a leak in the intake manifold somewhere or EGR valves leaking?

And another video at WOT.

Think I can be heard better in this video.

All standard, but I have disabled the EGR.
So the noise isn’t normal?

I hear the whoosh sound, no it’s not really normal. You can get a lot of different sounds though with aftermarket components which you don’t have.

Check turbo shaft, check air box and intake for leaks, check exhaust manifold. Go through a process of check all components in the intake, turbo and exhaust systems.

Does it only do it under load? If not perhaps someone can rev it in P or N while you listen and try to determine location.

Cheers

Thank you, I will need to make a day of it I think.

Only under load yes, so hard to replicate with the bonnet up.
Could try loading engine with foot on brake and in drive? ;)

I did not listen, but whistling is probably due to a loose hose clamp.
Try tightening.

I recorded another video under the bonnet stalling the TC in drive to load the engine.

noise does appear to originate around the turbo and all hoses appear intact and clamps tight.

Think I will pop the inlet hose off and check axial play of shaft next.

Chances are, the 24 year old turbo is just tired so I may look at fitting a Melett CHRA cartridge.

Check for play in the wheel of your turbo ASAP. Here the sound of my old GTurbo about a mile before it blew...

Here's what happened after:

hh3vGjyh.jpg

csd86Pch.jpg

That looks nasty!
You can defiantly hear the bearing screeching in that video.

I haven’t had the chance to check the spinning assay for play yet but I did notice that the underside of the diaphragm of the forward EGR valve is considerably more sooted than the other.

Perhaps this slight leakage could be causing the noise simply by exhaust escaping a small hole or causing the EGR diaphragm to vibrate?

EF4D9BC6-F379-47A0-9F6B-05662C82634E.jpeg
B4D0A60B-98E8-427F-94C6-93D73F55BD19.jpeg

Maybe... Honestly, I think the bearing on your turbo is worn or failing. I'd just pull your intake pipe off the turbo and feel for side play. It should feel really tight in there. If you can wiggle it... you might be able to rebuild the turbo. (or buy a new one before it has a catastrophic failure like mine did)

I took the air box out and inlet hose off the turbo today, there is no axial play of the shaft and only the slightest radial play, it is comparable to a 1-year old TD04 I have in the garage.

I also fitted 4 steel blanking plates in total to both sides of the EGR valves but the noise is still there!

Only other thing I can think of is the WG actuator, I may try putting a source of compressed air (1bar) on it to see if it squeals.

B574FB6E-8EA9-4FC9-8554-8F729FBF5E1E.jpeg
A332F8AB-4BEC-4007-A308-5F9B3B027E65.jpeg
DF44833D-1F2E-432E-A53E-4DF9A95D30F4.jpeg

Have you checked the rubber gaskets between intake manifold and the head ?
The tend to be a failure point. They shrink over time
Otherwise check all intake, boost signal hoses.
there is no axial play of the shaft and only the slightest radial play
This sounds OK. I'd keep an eye it, particularly if you cant find any boost leaks.
I blew a turbo on a hdt, it started making noise under load, sounded like your last video.

Mine had a small amount of axial play (along the shaft) apparently it was enough to slow the compressor to contact the housing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom