Whine above 70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving down the interstate and noticed today that if I go above 70 I have an intermittent whine, slowing down it disappears completely and above 75 is constantly there. The only thing I notice at a complete stop is that the passenger front appears to be lower than the rest of the vehicle though that could be the place I am parked doing that. I do know that I am need to replace the sway links which I plan to do this weekend. Any thoughts? Am newer to the 100 series.

Sounds like possibly wind noise? Where is it coming from? The windshield has been the source of "whine" for some folks, especially if it has been replaced with non OEM trim/seals. Are all the roof rack components tight? Are the door seals tight?

With regard to the level thing, for sure get it parked on a completely level, straight spot before doing any measurements.

I have the same whine. Mine is near that MPH range. Maybe a bit higher, but close enough. It goes away off throttle. It has to be something in the front end.

I have the same whine. Mine is near that MPH range. Maybe a bit higher, but close enough. It goes away off throttle. It has to be something in the front end.

If it goes away off throttle and is coming from the front, it might be time to change the diff oil, grease the u-joints/slip joint, check the CV boots, grease the spindle bearings, and re-pack the wheel bearings.

Have the hi-pitch whine also at hi speeds at times. Usually mine happens when the wind is blowing hard straight at me and would swear it's coming from the firewall area, drivers side. I can go 80 or 90 and not get it. Only when the winds coming out of the right direction. Since I live on the OBX, there's no place to hide at times.

I had the wheel bearing repacked about 20k ago when I did new rotors. I rebanded the CVs and pushed new grease in as best I could. I've got the big 90k service due this spring, so I'll get it looked over to see if the can diagnose the whine.

PO had receipts for all that maintenance within the last 10k miles so I don't think that is it but after looking at the rubber at the bottom of the windshield i noticed a split that can be lifted up in the middle so I am going to see if getting that secured takes care of it

Appears to be fixed after ordering the plastic clips that hold down the rubber seal at the bottom of the windshield the noise is gone. Glass shop that installed new windshield for PO used urethane instead of factory clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom