which tranny? (2 Viewers)

which tranny?

• same as before, and go with a $250 H42?

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • go through SOR, and buy a "serviced" $820 H41

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • go through SOR, and buy a "non-serviced" $680 H41

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • go through MAF, and buy a "non serviced" $650 H41

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For some reason, I seem to remember hearing that you cannot get the "Long" version of the H41. They fased them out when they went to the 5 speed. If this is the case, it won't quite be "bolt in"

I'm not real sure on this, but might be something to check out.

i decided to just put an H42 back into it. thks for all inputs! -sean

I saw a post on here, that if you have a fj60 that was built august of 85 or newer, then the h55f would bolt right in, but if you had a pre august 85 one, then you had to do some more stuff to make it work. I have a 85 fj60, and how do I find out if it was built before or after august of 85? Also where do you guys get the h55f tranny? Just curious, because i may do this in the near future.

Thanks James

WAVEPIMP said:
I saw a post on here, that if you have a fj60 that was built august of 85 or newer, then the h55f would bolt right in, but if you had a pre august 85 one, then you had to do some more stuff to make it work. I have a 85 fj60, and how do I find out if it was built before or after august of 85? Also where do you guys get the h55f tranny? Just curious, because i may do this in the near future.

Thanks James

The cut off is October 84. You will be fine. The things that are different are easy to change out. Here is a list of things that are different with a pre 85 FJ60:

Driveshafts: Any drive line shop can make them longer and shorter for small $.
Transfer to tranny bolts-you need the longer ones-buy new from Toyota.
Shifter for transmission-but an earlier one will work with the bushing from Cruiserparts.net. I reccomend new.
Transfercase linkage-Bad news-you need the whole thing from an 85 or later FJ60. pre 85 linkages will not work, don't go there. It is also available new from Toyota.

That's it though. Approx costs: Driveshaft changes $150, Bolts $50, Shifter $100, 5 speed knob $30, Transfer linkage $150 or so (mine was free :D ),

There are other minor differences between the 83-84 and 85-87 trucks but they are not changed or swapped with the conversion. A partial list:
Rear motor mount(Not interchangable)
Crossmember(Holds the rear motor mount so year specific)
Shifter boots
Clutch slave cylinder-Actually the pre '85 is preferrable as it is adjustable
Skid plate-the oil drainage holes no longer line up-a minor annoyance.
Transfer case drive flanges-use the ones specific to your year-they were different 83, 84, and 85 up has a bigger bolt pattern. They all fit on the output shafts so you need to use one with the right bolt pattern for your driveshafts.

I would have a slight preference for the 4/86-87 transfer case as it has the larger idler shaft. In my case, I used an 87 transfer case with 83 output flanges to fit my driveshafts. (83 and 84 flanges have the same bolt pattern, even though they are physically different parts.)

So where can I get a h55f and what all else should I expect to pay for other than the tranny.

I need all the help I can get.

SO it, for the most part should bolt right up correct?

Thanks James

WAVEPIMP said:
So where can I get a h55f and what all else should I expect to pay for other than the tranny.

I need all the help I can get.

SO it, for the most part should bolt right up correct?

Thanks James

Well-no. All the parts will physically fit without modification. However, there is a lot to the process. At a minimum the transfercase will need to be rebuilt. Not too hard, but not easy either. You will need a new clutch, new pilot and throwout bearing. Try a search, there have been a bunch of posts on this topic! As for expense-the tranny is roughly $1700, Clutch $250, Clutch Slave ($100) Shifter $100, new tools $200, transfer rebuild kit $200, new rear motor mount($125). I would budget a minimum of $2500-$3000 to get it sorted out. Your truck will be out of action for several weeks during the process unless you have a lot of spare time and good mechanical skills.

You can get a brand new H55f from Cruiserdan at American Toyota-he will have a fairly complete list of the stuff you will need. Do not cheap out on this. The tranny and transfer are the heart and soul of you Cruiser. Don't use those cheapo Taiwan parts that CCoT sells (see the recent thread about the bad TO bearing)

CruiserdrewAt a minimum the transfercase will need to be rebuilt. [/QUOTE said:
really? is that any year? i thought it was a direct bolt in...atleast in my '87. i was told you needed the oil cup, shifter, transfer case gaskets, seals & bearings (if you havent had a total rebuilb) and you had to fill some bolt hole towards the front of the transfer. BTW, Toyota El Cajon sells them for $1550+shipping!! -other sean

Last edited:
unless they are keeping it secret, i dont see anything yet for the H55. but anyway, couldnt i go ahead and buy a Toybox, cheap/used H42, shorten my drive shaft, and go??? should i even ask whats involved there?

cruiser_guy said:
David, why the H42 which is not too common here in Central America over the H41 which is common?
If there are issues with the H41 I'd like to know before going for the H41 in the FJ45LV. I'll be using a 16 spline H41 with the three speed transfer case behind a 3B with aftermarket turbo.

In my opinion the H42 Issue, are 19 splines .. but much more the Split Case that come factory attached.

Here in Panamá, are not common. but no extreme dificult to find one. Anycase a lots of people, try to upgrading to H55F sold very cheat their H42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom