Which brand of synthetic do you run? (1 Viewer)

Which brand of synthetic do you prefer?

• Mobil 1

Votes: 80 70.8%
  • Castrol Syntech

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Havloline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roleta T

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew said:
Reccomendations:
¢ Chevron Supreme 10w-30 $0.49/qt on sale at Kragan
$ Chevron Delo 15w-40---Great and cheap
$$ Shell Rotella Syn 5w-40 Wide viscosity spread, good additive pack
$$$ Mobil1 0w-40 Well documented excellent performance in 80 series use

Good luck FirstToy. I don't think the high mileage oils are much more than marketing, and the syn blends probably have very little syn since there is no standard mix. Best bang for buck by far is the Delo. A case of 6 gallons is $36 at Costco.

Can't beat that- I'll have to pick some up next time i'm buying 50 rolls of t.p. :D

i run rotella t synthetic 0w40. it is only available in Canada and is a different apparently higher grade of synthetic than the rotella synthetic in the us. available at crappy tire unlike 0w40 mobil 1.

Most "synthetics" are not truly synthetic, thanks to Castrol and a poor mediation decision you can refine dino put it in a bottle and call it synthetic and charge $5 a quart for it, these oils are called group III. My biggest problem with these oils is the lack of honesty and near scam tactics; I will never purchase Castrol syntec for this reason. Rotella is also a group III oil but it is sold at proper price for what it is so I have no bones with it despite the misplaced Synthetic name.

Group IV is polyalphaolefin based true synthetic, and is the base oil in Mobil 1 and Amsoil.

Group V is everything else but mostly the only one seen is esters. Redline is the big name in the group

RavenTai said:
Most "synthetics" are not truly synthetic, thanks to Castrol and a poor mediation decision you can refine dino put it in a bottle and call it synthetic and charge $5 a quart for it, these oils are called group III. My biggest problem with these oils is the lack of honesty and near scam tactics; I will never purchase Castrol syntec for this reason. Rotella is also a group III oil but it is sold at proper price for what it is so I have no bones with it despite the misplaced Synthetic name.

Group IV is polyalphaolefin based true synthetic, and is the base oil in Mobil 1 and Amsoil.

Group V is everything else but mostly the only one seen is esters. Redline is the big name in the group

ah raven, now I remember it was you who schooled me on this. For those in Canada the rotella t sb 0w40 is a 100% synthetic base unlike other rotella synthetics in canada and the us. it specs out very close to mobil 1 and since we can't get 0w40 mobil 1 here unless you special order it in 1 litre cases from esso at huge expense the rotella in 4litre jugs from crappy tire seems to be the best choice available if a 30 is not getting the job done. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=46732&highlight=rotella

I remember that thread :) yep the Canadian stuff is definatly diffrent.

I am still curious if the castrol/mobil mediation/arbitration applies in Canada or ther countries.

I was just at the Amsoil Dealer today. He was filling me up with this and that how this stuff is so great. He's been an Amsoil Dealer for 25 or so years.

I run Rotella in the VW. I do extend the changes. VW claims 15k is OK with synthetic. I'm going with 7500.

I run the Chevron Supreme in the Cruiser engine. The Previous Owner did not use sythetic and I didn't want to start at 182k. I read that this oil is fairly high in synthetic additives for dino oil. I can't remember where I read it but it seemed like a good study. It wasn't number 1. I think it was like number 3. But for the price I just change it more often. I've run it 25k in this 80 and like 45k in my 91 prior to selling it. Both have over 200k now.

I have Redline ATF and gear lube in the Transfer case.

I have Golden Harvest King gear lube in the axles. I change it so frequently synthetic doesn't pay for me. I believe this is rebadged Vavoline.

I'm running Amsoil Grease everywhere. Both the red and the purple moly fortified. I love the purple stuff for driveshafts.

I picked up 5 gallons of Amsoil Gear Lube today for my friend's daughter's Tacoma. He's in MD and she's in ID but is getting stationed in AK so he asked that I go through her truck before she leaves. $154.00 for this gear lube with tax. YIKES!

If there is any left over I'll put it in my new to me diffs.

Based on my experience said:
I agree it stops leaks, but why would you want to swell your seals if you do not have leaks? If your not leaking and your engine is happy with your present oil, the best thing you can do for your "high mileage engine" (as far as they are concerned 75K, nonsense) are scheduled, frequent oil changes, keep your fluids clean. Just scare tactics into getting you to buy their new products. Scare tactics.

Amspoil and Mobil 1. Just depend on which one is available at the time of my oil change.

I have Mobil 1 0wx40 and Redline for Diffs, T.C., and Trans.

If you plan ahead you could sometimes get the Mobil 1 at Kragens or Autozone for under $4. I usually just stock up before next required oil change.

Leak stopping. I thought the swelling the seals only worked for cork gaskets. Toyota gaskets are rubber. How do you get rubber to swell without destroying it at a later time? I mean if I get rubber gaskets to swell doesn't that mean I'm deteriorating them some way?

redline for everything

redline in everything

I use Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters.

Mobil 1 10-30 in the engine and royal purple in the running gear and power steering. also use mobil 1 in the shafts.

I was looking at Schafer's oil propoganda for a future changeover. Anyone try this? They seem to have a high moly content in their product. The color of their motor oil has a green tint to it!

On http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ they swear by Schaeffers and Mobil1. The tribologists there say that all name brand oils are good for the recommended change intervals. If you do racing, or want to change your oil every two years, then you open a whole can of worms. And synthetics win! Schaeffers, Mobil, Redline, Amzoil, they all do what they are supposed to do. It's mostly a matter of price/discounts and personal preference.

Mobil 1 15W-50 (180,000mi) changed every 10,000mi. No Probs. Oh, a nice K&N oil filter is used, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom