Where to find switched 12V under the hood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes I searched, but couldn't find anything. I'm looking for a switched 12v line, preferably under the hood, to trigger a relay I am adding. Should only be hot when key is in position 2 (cluster warning lights on) and not in key position 1 (Accessories position, radio). I could also tap inside the cabin but I'd rather not go that route yet. Any help would be appreciated.

After a bit of searching I finally found some good info:

Toyota Land Cruiser LC200 Ignition Controlled 12V Supply - Caravaners Forum

Not sure if it's present on US cars but in my VDJ200 there is an unused 2-pin plug for the winch that is taped up to the wiring loom right in front of the battery. Tested with my multimeter - green wire gets power when the ignition is in position 2 (warning lights on). Couldn't be any easier :)

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

Any options for US LC? May be someone already found possibility to connect easily to similar wire?

I would go directly to the fuse box - there is a multi fuse integrated relay at that rear of that box that has both always on and switched power. I found this when I did a lot of back probing and multimeter work while troubleshooting another issue.

I would go directly to the fuse box - there is a multi fuse integrated relay at that rear of that box that has both always on and switched power. I found this when I did a lot of back probing and multimeter work while troubleshooting another issue.
THanks, i found IGN 10A fuse there, need to buy a spliter.

THanks, i found IGN 10A fuse there, need to buy a spliter.

That's what I used. That fuse and a fuse tap off of it.

Same. It worked but I wondered if it was a good way.

An acquaintance of mine works at Toyota and hates seeing such fuse taps. He mentioned some potential issues when we talked about this years ago, but it didn't strike me as anything likely or serious, and I do wonder how much of what he worries about is a real issue, vs what Toyota taught their techs to look out for and complain about (to deny warranty coverage).

Personally, I have no worries about the method.

An acquaintance of mine works at Toyota and hates seeing such fuse taps. He mentioned some potential issues when we talked about this years ago, but it didn't strike me as anything likely or serious, and I do wonder how much of what he worries about is a real issue, vs what Toyota taught their techs to look out for and complain about (to deny warranty coverage).

Personally, I have no worries about the method.

Thanks for this perspective.

I figured if something went wrong, it would take 30 seconds to pull the add a fuse. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There are also a bunch of unused pins in the multiple connectors on the back side of that integration relay box. You could add a female lead in one of the connectors, and it'd look factory perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom