Where do you carry your inReach? Pics please.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Under urging from my wife I finally ordered an InReach SE+ and a USB powered Garmin mount. She worries when I go RV camping alone.... and my SPOT is too darned crippled and the plan has gotten too darned expensive. She wants to be able to send me “I miss you” texts and receive “I broke both my legs, but am having a good time” ones from me.

I am already using an iPad Mini 4 on a Ram seat base mount, which works incredibly well with GAIA (especially the wonderful USFS 2016 maps). I have a Garmin RV660 gps suction cupped to the windshield in the center for auto routing on public roads, and a travel trailer TPMS display suction cupped at the lower left corner.....LOL. I do keep the moron factory nav screen blanked.

I would like to see some mounting options for the InReach other than using a suction cup. I really don’t need any more equipment stuck on the glass - I would like to be able to see the road... Please advise and post some pics.

One question.... is the stubby antenna directional like the one on my SPOT Gen 2? Can I just lay the InReach flat on the dash velcroed to a weighted non-skid beanbag mount? Or should it stay vertical? Will it be able to get a signal when it’s propped in a center console cup holder?

Any InReach tips and tricks?

Sorry that was way more than one question.

Anybody want my SPOT?

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I did a seven thousand mile trip in my 80 with my inreach lying on the dash and had no connectivity issues. Tracking worked as though it was standing on the roof.

I did a seven thousand mile trip in my 80 with my inreach lying on the dash and had no connectivity issues. Tracking worked as though it was standing on the roof.
Thanks, any worries about excess heat?

John Davies
Spokane WA

John, I'll grab a pic later today, but I do have my InReach on the passenger side window with the Garmin powered suction cup mount. No real impact to vision at all. The only other windshield mount is my iPhone.

One added benefit I really like is that you can tether the InReach to your iPad mini. My Mini 4 is WiFi so I need an external GPS input (i.e. Dual, Bad Elf, etc). I previously had a Dual but was able to remove that when I added the InReach last year. Cleans up the dash a bit. Also, I run the cord to my iPhone up through the dash and back out to help clean up the clutter. Again, pics later after coffee...

Google garmin inreach. They have different plans based on your needs.

Thanks, any worries about excess heat?

Not while driving. I’d usually shut the unit down and move it to a seat if I was parked anywhere long enough to heat up the dash.

Garmin | inReach

I'm on the annual recreation. $25/mo. It's my first year and I camp Apr-Oct. I could probably save some money by going with the Freedom Plan, but there are the occasional winter runs. I also have APRS so it's a bit redundant. Rural Verizon coverage here is really good and getting 50W out to a Ham repeater is usually not a problem. Plus a 911 call is going to be a much faster response than having the SOS function go through it's process. And it's rare that I can't text my wife at night even if it's just one bar of 3G. But Murphy's law is that something will happen down in a Canyon where there is zero reception. Being able to push that button or text out for help becomes priceless at that point, especially when taking family along or acting as trail lead.

John

How much is subscription a month?
Garmin | inReach
I am going to start with the basic Safety Freedom plan ($15), I can suspend it when I do not need it or just let it run. Garmin is unique in that they let you do this - every other plan for satellite or SPOT or whatever is an annual contract with heavy "service fees". The inReach is by far the most affordable, if you just need basic communications.

Note that the plan is "prepaid" so if you suspend it 29 days before the renewal date, it will continue to operate to the renewal date and then quit, they do not refund any money. But with SPOT, you pay and then quit a little while later and they screw you for the full year.

John Davies
Spokane WA

First the InReach is awsome I got one when they first came out and another one this spring for my kids.

If you have the iPad mounted already with he app connect via blue tooth and just use the maps and functionality from your iPad. The only time I just use the InReach is when bike/hiking/hunting/fishing as it is water proof.

I'm intrigued by the new InReach Mini: Garmin | inReach

Lots of cool features and great portability.

HTH

If you're still interested in how to mount it, I got one of these, and mounted it next to my iPad mini. Basically same place as yours.
RAM-B-289U.jpg

I use a BaoFang “builder bracket” sold here on Mud to mount my inReach. It has a 1/4-20 threaded hole which takes any RAM configuration available. I use a suction cup mount for an iPad and have the thing above splitting two arms. One for the iPad mount and one for the inReach

If you're still interested in how to mount it, I got one of these, and mounted it next to my iPad mini. Basically same place as yours.

Where do you get these?

Edit: I see that it is a ram mount accessory.

Last edited:
I replaced one of the grab handle bolts with a RAM ball and mounted the InReach out of the way but still accessible
IMG_20200314_185154970_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom