When to think about injector replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I have been driving my cruiser more often these days with all the kids home driving my other vehicles, Ihave recently been thinking about my injectors.
When should I start thinking of having the injectors serviced?

I am not having any problems (knock on wood!). The rig starts quickly, does not smoke, sounds like all the videos I have seen on YouTube of othe 3B engines. That being said, I have no Idea of how many miles it has on it as the odometer stopped at 247k kilometers. (It does have some blow by out the tube)

I only drive about 8 miles to work, and other than the usual lack of power that I feel is typical, the truck has been great. I recently installed a new transmission and transfer case, and I can hear the radio now! It also has allowed me to hear the engine... and nothing really concerning.

After searching here and seeing @lostmarbles thread on replacement of injectors, I am not sure I want to do this for “piece of mind”.

B engine compression & leakage testing along with glowplug & injector replacement

Especially since there are no great cruiser shops around that I know of and even less That are knowledgeable on the diesels.

So, I pose the question to the group: “When?”
Do I wait until there is a problem? Are there mileage guidelines?
Let me know your thoughts!

Its a 100000klm job. Its not just the nozzles, the injector spring can get weak. Ideally the injection pump gets inspected/serviced at the same time. But as you know places that can do it competently are few and far between.
Another option is get a spare set and send one set to Australia/NZ

Or take them to a shop and get them bench tested to see if they need doing.

In this test, they are flow matching the injectors, which means they aim to get each injector supplying an identical amount of fuel.

In my experience, bad injectors can cause: miss fire when cold starting, rough idle, and smoke at idle. The issues are most noticeable at low throttle positions. I've actually found worn injectors make more power at high throttle positions than new injectors (maybe because they flow more fuel - lower crack pressure perhaps). But new injectors are much smoother down low and give nice torque from stop.

Sounds to me like your engine is running fine. In that case I'd be inclined to leave well enough alone. Injectors don't just outright fail. Rather the motor starts to run crappier as they wear out. They'll tell you when they need to be replaced. If compression is fine, glow system is good, no air is getting into diesel, then likely the problem will be wearing injectors.

I have no idea if they have ever been done. I am inclined not to open Pandora’s box until some sign of a problem, unless I come across a decent diesel shop that could test and/or rebuild them at a fair price. May keep a lookout here for a used set to be rebuilt, just in case.

Night is a great time to assess injectors I think.. look for that faint haze of smoke in the headlights behind you when you're not under Wide Open Throttle..

Cool, I will keep a lookout.
Anyone know a great diesel shop in the Boston area?

Check the ones on G-Turbo.
Gturbo doesn't actually do any fuel products themselves, it's all outsourced. They get it all from ADS Injection so better off just going straight through them. https://www.facebook.com/ADSInjection4880/

Also check out

Gturbo doesn't actually do any fuel products themselves, it's all outsourced. They get it all from ADS Injection so better off just going straight through them. https://www.facebook.com/ADSInjection4880/

Also check out
Nice info, thanks 😊

Are there any reputable shops in the USA specializing in these Toyota IPs?

BECS Pacific in Los Angeles does work on denso pumps and injectors for toyotas. Becs Pacific, LTD

I have not done business with them myself but my friend had her 2lte pump rebuilt there about a year ago and has been happy so far. There are others on here who have posted about them as well with good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom