Wheel size recommendations (tall skinny) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks.

Although I love the look of my SOA'd 60, I may have the opportunity to go SUA with 2.5" lift and cable lockers in the future, which means my 35" tires ain't gonna cut it anymore (so will be for sale).

My questions are:

1. What is the tallest skinny tire I can fit in that situation? I'm thinking like a 255/80/16 which is apparently close to a 32x10x16.

2. What, if any, off-spacing is recommended/available to make sure my stance isn't lame? Certain wheels/rims to look for?

3. What brand/type would you recommend?

I do like my General Grabber AT2's currently as they have a mountain snowflake, and I'm not sure when icbc will ever change the Oct-Apr rules from M+S to Mointain Snowflake.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with the new Toyo CT? I'd be leaning towards the M55's if the CT's have a poor rating.

Side note: My 315/75/16 General Grabber AT2's with black steelies will be for sale when this happens. Also a spare with same rim but Geolander 30% tire. The set of 4 have less than a years driving on them and it's not a daily driver. I can do an actual depth gauge when the time comes, but they're barely worn.

BFG is making a 34x10.5r17 that would look sick, love tall skinny tires

My Toyo MT's are 285/75R17 are 34" tall. Work out to 11" wide.
Look at the Toyo M55's. I think that is what J @ Radd is running. He's a tall skinny tire freak.

A nice 33" tall skinny tire that has gained a lot of popularity in the land cruiser community is the 255/85R16. This will be the next size I go to. They are relatively common, and offer a nice balance of clearance and fuel economy. They are a little bigger than a 33x10.5 R15.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Cooper Discoverer line of tires. (S/T MAXX for example: Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Discoverer S/T MAXX™ ). Basically the next set I'll be going with I think.

Last edited:
I've had 255/85/16's on a few cruisers.

Definitely my favourite size. Very easily driven, with a 3b truck you really notice it over 33/12.5's.

Almost gain a gear. Rims aren't super easy to find, although some 16" trailer rims work. (Had one for my spare on the last 42.)

Hey guys, turns out my 16x8 black wheels will hold a 255/85/16! So I can keep my five wheels and just get rubber.

Definitely looking at the M55's as they are tested and proven.

Obviously many other things need to fall into place before this becomes a reality, but it's nice to know info going into it :)

I have run toyo M55 on my HJ 61 for past couple years. 255/85R16. Highly recommended. Bullet proof tire.

Toyo M55 are what all the logging companies on the coast run so they muse be doing something right. They are also retreadable so that is nice.
Personally I have been running BFG ATs fo as long as I have had a truck. They are bombproof and have recently added a little bit more aggressive of a tread to the sidewall so you have more traction when turing over rocks of curbs... I'm putting 33/10.5/15s on my build. you can get a set from Westshore spring and 4/4 for 252.70 or 1010.80 for the set. (i was just looking at my quote) all things considered that isn't bad.

I got 4 BFG 33x10.50 ATs Installed for under 1K taxes in from Costco... If you go there be sure to bring in Lug nut Torque Specs on something official.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom