Wheel Bearing Packer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for recommendations on wheel bearing packer. Haven't used them before and don't want to waste money on a crappy one or one that I won't be satisfied with next time I need to repack.

Looks like there are two basic categories: cone style and tub style.
Cone style require grease gun, tub style don't appear to.
I was considering getting the lisle handy packer (Advance Auto Parts: Handy Packer Bearing Packer by Lisle - Part 34550_____)

Can anyone tell me if it's a quality product worth buying or if there's something better to get instead?

Can anyone tell me if it's a quality product worth buying or if there's something better to get instead?

I have always used the palm of my hand. It's quite handy, actually.

I have always used the palm of my hand. It's quite handy, actually.

x2. I use my hands and fingers (just wear gloves). You can pack grease in all of the nooks and crannies. Save your $$ for more cruiser stuff.;)

I saw a guy on TV use one of those vacuum food preservers to pack his bearings and then put it in his tool box in case he needed it on the trail. Not sure how it worked but it looked pretty clean.

I was considering the packer based on the following information I've picked up from various threads/sources:
- there's a right and wrong way to pack by hand (right way requires technique)
- packing by hand takes longer
- if packing by hand you would want to thoroughly clean the bearings first

Whereas with the packer:
- it forces out the old grease on its own so not as critical to clean the bearings first
- its significantly quicker
- without any technique (skill) you can pack the bearings properly

I appreciate the value in doing things by hand but if the info above is correct then the cost is worth the benefit to me personally. I'll still want to try packing by hand just so I get the feel for it though.

Thanks for the input!

packers suck.
They just push grease into the open spots inbetween the rollers.

The statement about not needing to clean them is just a lazy cop out.

Packing by hand is a skill that will ensure all the rollers are covered and full between them as much as possible.

But if you are lazy, dont like grease, dont care about the life of bearings, or just like to perform mediocre work, then a packer should work perfect for you.:beer:

Packing by hand is a skill that will ensure all the rollers are covered and full between them as much as possible.

Which is a skill that is learned in high school auto shop; there was no other way that was taught then, and ~20 years later, is the only method I or anyone else I know, uses to pack bearings.

The statement about not needing to clean them is just a lazy cop out.
I was referring to cleaning with solvent - I'm new to repacking wheel bearings, didn't have shop class as an option, so I'm just learning here/now. Do you guys clean them with solvent each time you repack or do you just wipe them and then repack?

I was referring to cleaning with solvent - I'm new to repacking wheel bearings, didn't have shop class as an option, so I'm just learning here/now. Do you guys clean them with solvent each time you repack or do you just wipe them and then repack?

I clean them but I clean everything.

I didn't have a HS shop class, either. In theory the new grease replaces the old grease which is squeezed out, but in practice I always degrease with a solvent and repack...by hand. As offroaders, we experience more contaminants than strictly road-going vehicles, plus how else are you going to inspect the bearings?. BTW, don't ever spin the bearing while it's dry (no grease)

Edit: Google to da rescue! http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar...rings/bearing_grease_hub_assembly_brakes.html

Last edited:
We had a cone type bearing packer in the 8 bay shop I used to work at. We probably packed an average of 20-40 bearings a day and none of the mechanics used it. It was messy, took a bit to set up and you had to walk across the shop and back. By that time you would have the bearings packed by hand and installed already. Not much "technique" involved, but If you do a lot of them, your hand can get sore. The only time I used it was when one customer specifically asked me to use it.

I have the Lisle unit, works well and is handy if you pack a lot of bearings. It takes a lot of grease to load (about a tub), so if you only occasionally do bearings it is a pain, waste.

My favorite method is to use a pistol grip gun with a needle, lay the clean bearing on a rag, insert the needle between a pair of rollers, quick pump, repeat. Does a nice quick job, without making a mess. The hypodermic type, like this, but mine screws together, so the needle can be replaced.

Amazon.com: GREASE INJECTOR NEEDLE: Automotive

I do them by hand, palm type grease gun and with the Lisle. They all work fine...however I tend to use the Lisle most of the time anymore.

Best way I've found is inside a Ziploc bag. The flimsy storage bags work better than the stiffer freezer bags. You shouldn't fill a roller bearing more than 30% full, but that's pretty hard to measure.
Bearing packer.JPG

You shouldn't fill a roller bearing more than 30% full, but that's pretty hard to measure.

I dont know where you came up with that. :meh:

Its called a bearing pack, not a bearing kinda pack. Ya pack that thing FULL.

I want mine 100 percent full and then I smear tons all over it and then pack the sides once its laying in the race.

Grease is CHEAP and makes me feel good. :banana:

I dont know where you came up with that. :meh:

I suspect you're kidding, but I think most people know you don't pack roller bearings full of grease. I won't tell you how I personally learned this tidbit, 'cause the chat pack gets their panties up in a wad every time I mention any of my experience or training.
NOTE:
For best results, ample space
is essential in the housing to
allow room for excess grease to
be thrown from the bearing and
for heat dissipation. It is equally
important to retain the grease
around the bearing. Normally,
the housing should be 1/3 to
no more than 1/2 full of grease
during bearing assembly. Too
much grease in the housing may
cause excess churning of the
grease and high temperatures.
http://www.timken.com/en-us/solutio...apered_Roller_Bearing_with_Grease_English.pdf

If there's enough space around the bearing and you don't pack that with grease, it can purge enough grease to not be overfilled. But I believe the bearing is supposed to purge only a small amount of grease, not half or two-thirds of the grease in it. I know I packed my wheel bearings as full as I could for many years without a problem, but I don't think that's optimum, or they weren't as full as I thought. I thought we'd had this discussion here a few times.

From Timken:
Overfilling a bearing with too much
grease can cause excess churning of
the grease during operation and high
temperatures, resulting in overheating
and excess grease purging* (leaking).
Overheating occurs because the heat
generated cannot dissipate correctly,
continually building until damage occurs.
As the operating temperature
of the bearing rises, the oxidation
(breakdown) rate of the grease sharply
increases – doubling every 18º F.

*NOTE: During initial start-up, it is common
for a properly lubricated bearing
to purge a small amount of grease. A
slight grease purge is often recommended
by original equipment manufacturers,
as it acts as a barrier seal to
help keep out external debris contamination
(Fig. 1). Always follow original
equipment manufacturers’ recommendations
regarding grease purging and
correct replenishment amounts.
An overfilled bearing may also purge
grease during initial start-up. However,
over time and as temperature rises,
excess grease will continue to purge
from an overfilled bearing and have a
darkened color

The Timken site shows hand packing grease into a bearing 'till it comes out the other end of the rollers, then smearing what's left around the rollers. Pretty much what Chop Shop said and what most guys do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom