Wheel and tire suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time fan, first time cruiser...'81 fj43 (stock). I need help finding wheels/tires, sizes and/or supplier. My tires are no good and the rims are the wrong size. The tire shop guys are lost...obviously fj43 is not in the computer. I don't want big fat 1980's wheels but I don't want skinny tire either. Budget is at issue...thanks in advance

Do you want mud terrains or all terrains?

One of my favorite tire sizes on a cruiser is 255/85r16 on 70 series rims. Which is basically a 33x10x16. It’s skinny but they look right, don’t kill power as much and easier on steering.

For rims do you want stock looking or custom?

Are you wanting bigger or close to stock size?

Lifting anytime soon?

I really like the Yokohama G003 mud terrains. Great tires. They make a 235/85r16 that is more 31.5-32” size that would fit good stock. Quiet on the road, work excellent in all conditions I’ve had them in.

I believe @wngrog runs them on his 40 on stock rims.

Do you want mud terrains or all terrains?

One of my favorite tire sizes on a cruiser is 255/85r16 on 70 series rims. Which is basically a 33x10x16. It’s skinny but they look right, don’t kill power as much and easier on steering.

For rims do you want stock looking or custom?

Are you wanting bigger or close to stock size?

Lifting anytime soon?

I really like the Yokohama G003 mud terrains. Great tires. They make a 235/85r16 that is more 31.5-32” size that would fit good stock. Quiet on the road, work excellent in all conditions I’ve had them in.

I believe @wngrog runs them on his 40 on stock rims.
Thanks for the feed back....I will look at the ones you mentioned.
I think all terrain would be best for my mostly urban driving.
A little bigger than stock to fill the wheel wells but a common size to maybe help with cost.
No plans to lift...but I may need to replace the front springs which seem hard to find at stock heights. If I did have to buy say a set of 2" lift springs a bigger tire than stock might compensate.

As far as wheels go, I am a big fan of the stock Toyota steel wheels and hubcaps. You can still get the wheels direct from Toyota (Part # 42601-60072). Pretty sure the hubcaps are still available too. You'll need two front hubcaps and two rear hubcaps (the fronts have holes for accessing the locking hubs). They are 15" wheels. My 1970 FJ40 has the original wheels on it with stock suspension and 31x10.50R15 B.F. Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires. I have been pleased with this setup in terms of appearance and performance. I also have Toyo R/T tires in the same size on my 1988 FJ62 and can say that those are excellent tires, wear very well, and are tough. They also required less weight to balance than the BFGs.

If you want to move up to a 16" wheel, you have to get a little more creative. I have read that some folks go with 70 series Land Cruiser (again, available from Toyota) (Part # 42601-60262-03) which look like the six-spoke chrome wheels that were on the FJ60 and 62, but one inch larger, and painted silver rather than chromed. Not sure about fitment on your FJ43, and whether they would fit without modification or not. Maybe someone else can chime in.

City Racer LLC (16" Wheels / Rims for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 FJ60 70 Series) also sells a wheel that is 16" in diameter but looks like the stock 15" Toyota steel wheel. They have the hub cap clips that enable you to run Toyota factory hub caps. This would be my #1 choice, because I would love to run the 235-85R16 size tire, but the price is considerable compared to the other options at $1300 for a set of five.

We have a good steel wheel thread going here with part numbers and such.

Steel 16s and 255s is a sweet combo. Loving mine.

33x10.50-15 KO2 with Toyota wheels sounds like what you want though.

This is my old 43. No lift. With the 33 10.50 15s

F58E5D88-57E6-4ED4-A0B9-26E4A256E924.jpeg

I much appreciate you guys taking the time to educate a newbie like me...part numbers and all- wow!...this stock look is good for me and the 31 10.5 on 15's filled the wells very nicely on WNGROG's unit. I think I have the answer...big thanks

I much appreciate you guys taking the time to educate a newbie like me...part numbers and all- wow!...this stock look is good for me and the 31 10.5 on 15's filled the wells very nicely on WNGROG's unit. I think I have the answer...big thanks

Actually on my 43 those are 33x10.50-15

I always recommend the 33 for the ride as well as the taller size will lower your RPMs on the road

Actually on my 43 those are 33x10.50-15

I always recommend the 33 for the ride as well as the taller size will lower your RPMs on the road
Ok...corrected, thanks....in the picture are all terrains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom